Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-09-2007, 12:05 PM

669 posts, read 3,193,009 times

Advertisements

Is the Florida forum too negative? I've made similar posts before but it's starting to bug me.

People say "we need to expose all sides of Florida"; to me the only side being exposed is the bad one.

I realize crime is bad, cost of living is bad, etc, but is it really helping to sit here and moan?

The positives are only rarely exposed.

One complaint I do NOT understand is heat. Don't most people know Florida is hot year round? What's the shock? If you're so happy when a cold spell comes, why not move somewhere else? I'm not trying to be mean. I'm seriously wondering.

Anyways, I'm not trying to stir the pot, but I'm wondering, is Florida 100x worse than every other state (as you'd think from reading the 100x more negativity here than the other forums), or is it overblown?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-09-2007, 12:10 PM

14,492 posts, read 26,587,680 times
The trolls have been deleted. Most are telling the truth here.

Old 04-09-2007, 12:16 PM

8,189 posts, read 31,227,984 times
I see people who are passionate about their feelings on this board.

Old 04-09-2007, 12:20 PM

13,495 posts, read 37,434,568 times
There are a few states that have about as much negativity on them as Fla. does. I think that as a whole, people are saying what the major problems are, and even trying to do something about them. Not sure, but one of the members was starting a petition to be signed and taken to Tallahassee. Some of the problems are news stories that are being addressed and it's about things that affect every one who lives there.

On the flip side, I have been noticing that when new people come to the Florida forum, it's like pulling teeth to get a few answers from people here. If you just check, there has been several times that someone who was considering locating would ask a question and actually have to bump their own thread up to get it noticed. That's probably the most important reason that the CD forums were started. It's almost like we're not welcoming the new kid on the block cause we're so content playing by ourselves. That's probably the most negative thing that I've been noticing.

Old 04-09-2007, 01:02 PM

894 posts, read 4,348,806 times
Negativity breeds negativity. Case in point, last year after dropping our son off at FSU, my husband and I noticed how nice everybody is in North Florida. People helping and going out of their way. Upon arriving at the Palm Beach/Broward line, it was smacked in our face of the rudeness and basic lack of respect for other people. We realized that we had become that as well. Living in it every day, day in, day out, it is hard not to get sucked in to that mindset. I think the constant reminder of the hurricanes, the rising cost of living, etc... took its toll on us.

Old 04-09-2007, 01:04 PM

13,395 posts, read 45,011,343 times
I think the negativity problem is much, much better.
What was driving me nuts was the rampant hyperbole and pseudo-facts flooding the forum. Now we have people like Firemed, Macguy and Sunrico posting solid information, which is important and needful.

Old 04-09-2007, 01:09 PM

Location: Finally made it to Florida and lovin' every minute!
22,677 posts, read 19,257,904 times
Hear, hear. I don't miss all the nonsense.

Old 04-09-2007, 01:14 PM

1,499 posts, read 4,831,133 times
Are you refering to the crime news posting, Murphy?

I don't see it as negative, just informing people. Nothing in that thread is opinion. It is all 100% clear and cut fact.

Has anyone considered WHY people post negatives in the FL forum (although I'd bet the Detroit forum is much worse)? Maybe it is because there is a lot of bad going on down here right now?

Listen, I am NOT happy at the situation Orlando is in right now. I am angry that Orlando is how it is today. It is a mess! I get very mad when I see the crime news because I know the Orlando crime is imported (illegal aliens & Katrina people are mostly to blame).

I feel that when people get both sides of the issues, they are better fit to make good decisions.

And I think everyone will agree with me that if there is not some "negative" to go with the rosey positive, then it is not 'fair and balanced'.

Thanks everyone for contributing.

Old 04-09-2007, 01:48 PM

246 posts, read 1,018,715 times
I am new here, been reading for a few weeks and just signed up yestarday. I was really so surprised about all the negativity. Most posts were just saying how horrible it is in FL, but didn't mention what they saw that was so horrible. If I was looking to move here, it would scare me into not doing it. Yes, it is hot here, I knew that before I came and I don't mind the heat but if you don't like it, why would you even think of moving here. That I don't understand at all.

I have lived in FL since 1993 and I love the weather. Don't like the hurricanes and the only reason I would think of moving is that it is getting very expensive and my hubby is disabled and I am the only bread winner and still have 3 kids to raise.

Old 04-09-2007, 01:52 PM

4,423 posts, read 7,364,436 times
Constant whining and complaining on this board will only serve to make your Florida home all the more unsaleable. You're also scaring away the snowbirds who, without the homestead advantage, are paying most of our property taxes. Lighten up and let everyone know why you moved here and why you stay here. It's a beautiful place!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida