Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-01-2007, 05:55 PM

277 posts, read 369,968 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nirvana-Guy View Post
Are people from Miami moving to Orlando???

Did Miami get any of the New Orleans people to cause their crime rates to soar too??? Cause the NO people raised havock and crime in Orlando!!
Why would you assume that people from New Orleans would have increased the crime rates? Only curious.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-01-2007, 06:16 PM

2,227 posts, read 8,187,132 times
i didnt suggest this to begin with, but fireball fl, are you serious? do you know what happened in houston after a lot of katrina victims moved there?

Old 08-01-2007, 06:27 PM

170 posts, read 751,384 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nirvana-Guy View Post
Hey Orlando is now #7 most dangerous rated for 2006:

Safest and Most Dangerous U.S. Cities, 2006 — Infoplease.com

It was #25 most dangerous in 2005... wow things are heating up in Orlando!! And it ain't just the weather either!!!

that was based on 2006, this is 2007 crime is way down this year from last year (but of course u dont want to mention that) please explain how crime is heating up at the moment?

Old 08-01-2007, 06:43 PM

crime is down? really? are we watching the same news channels? ppl getting robbed, stealing cars, sex offender feeling up on someone after breaking into a hotel when this guy was asleep (did you hear that one?) yeah imagine waking up and some man has their hands in your pants after breaking into the hotel!!!

Old 08-01-2007, 07:35 PM

170 posts, read 751,384 times
it is now august, 8th month of the year, and we are at 26 murders, last year we had 50 over the year, so assuming they are spread evenly over the year we would of had 25 murders over the first 6 months last year.

Police: Body by I-4 is murder victim -- OrlandoSentinel.com.

as far as the robbings, stealing cars etc, they are nothing new, 2006 was a low point, which orlando will bounce back from.

i dont tend to watch news too much, too busy living my life, never have any trouble with crime, i find it funny how all these people complaining about crime only ever see it on the news.

also nirvana guy posts this topic as 'orlando beats miami in top 25 most dangerous' using the term 'beats' gives me the impression this is something this guy is proud of. a dangerous city is not an achievement , it is something to be ashamed of, something we all must work to turn around, and the best way to do that is live your life go where you want when you want.

anyway like i said it looks like orlando is making improvments in 2007

Old 08-01-2007, 07:54 PM

today is august 1st. we have been through 7 months of the yr. if we have 26 already, that is a little over 3.7 per month. at this rate we will be closing in on 45 by the end of the yr. i think we had 46 last yr. not much improvement.

Old 08-01-2007, 08:07 PM

fla has 6 of the top 25. not a proud moment, obviously.

Old 08-01-2007, 08:13 PM

1,608 posts, read 9,723,996 times
I would figure that Orlando has one of the higher crime rates. Although its a good 45 minutes or so away it's where my news comes from (I'm in the Daytona area). It's filled with crimes taking place everyday! I'm not surprised at all.

Old 08-02-2007, 08:12 AM

561 posts, read 1,915,058 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by backtofla View Post
markhunt, where did you go? i am trying to get out of orlando too!!!
Auburndale (Polk County, Northern unincorporated area).

We love it so far. It's quiet, the schools are good in our zone, it's convenient to I-4. I still work in Orlando and it is a 40 minute drive each way(A small sacrifice for me to know my family is in an area that I am more comfortable with).

Believe it or not the area we are in is growing, not a lot, but just enough for us. Here are three of the builders creating new subdivisions in our area:

Auburn Preserve in Auburndale New Homes by Lennar (http://www.lennar.com/findhome/community.aspx?COMID=7233&DIVID=TMHLEN - broken link)

Welcome To Lake Juliana Estates

Maronda Homes - Quality New Home Construction in Tampa, Pittsburgh, Orlando, Cincinnati, Melbourne, Jacksonville, Columbus, Winter Haven, Ocala

All of these homes are so much less expensive than what you would find in the Orlando area. The cost of living in Polk County is 12% lower (last I read), then that of the average in the U.S.

Things we have noticed so far:

The area is VERY family oriented.
Over 40 churches in Auburndale.
Majority of people we talk to here have been in the area for generations.
Many of the residents have southern accents.
EVERYONE we have spoken to thus far has English as a first language.
3 community parks.
Much more pleasant experience when going out shopping anywhere.
We are within 10-20 minutes to Lakeland, Winter Haven, and the new proposed site of "Posner Park" shopping center.
Nationally recognized tennis center.
Competition Cheerleading Center (HS was 2007 state and national champs in certain categories).
We are 40 minutes from either Tampa or Orlando
Polk County Crime has been declining every year since 2000:
http://www.polksheriff.org/briefings/news/2007/Polk%20County%20CrimeRateBreaksLastYearsRecordLow. pdf (broken link)

Now I know the Auburndale area may not be right for a lot of people and I'm sure we will start see some negatives the more we live here, but I am quite confident we made the right desicion in getting out of Orlando!

Old 08-02-2007, 01:49 PM

1,499 posts, read 4,818,862 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FireballFL View Post
Why would you assume that people from New Orleans would have increased the crime rates? Only curious.
Uh.... after the hurricanes in New Orleans, 1/2 of the NO folk came down to Central Fl and 1/2 went to Houston, TX. Violent crimes and gang activity in both cities has gone up something like 400%.

Maybe (just maybe ) that is a sign??

Quote:
i didnt suggest this to begin with, but fireball fl, are you serious? do you know what happened in houston after a lot of katrina victims moved there?
I have a relative living outside Dallas and the Houston residents are fed up with New Orleans people living there. Everyone in Houston is getting a gun now, because they are sick and tired of the NO people robbing them, killing them, and breaking inside their homes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rich renter View Post
that was based on 2006, this is 2007 crime is way down this year from last year (but of course u dont want to mention that) please explain how crime is heating up at the moment?
Dude, we have had more violent crime up to this point in 2007 than we did in the entire year of 2006!! You think 2007 is getting "better"?? Better for the criminals, you mean?

Quote:
crime is down? really? are we watching the same news channels? ppl getting robbed, stealing cars, sex offender feeling up on someone after breaking into a hotel when this guy was asleep (did you hear that one?) yeah imagine waking up and some man has their hands in your pants after breaking into the hotel!!!
Everytime I check out Orlando News, Florida Breaking News, Headlines & Orlando Weather - WKMG Local6 or www.MyFoxOrlando.com or WFTV.com or Wesh.com, it is almost all violent crime news. My relatives in Orlando (basically all my family is there) tell me the local news is terrifying. Evne my stubbron aunt who lives on Millenia Blvd is admitting that moving out of Orlando seems more like a good idea everyday.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rich renter View Post
it is now august, 8th month of the year, and we are at 26 murders, last year we had 50 over the year, so assuming they are spread evenly over the year we would of had 25 murders over the first 6 months last year.

Police: Body by I-4 is murder victim -- OrlandoSentinel.com.

as far as the robbings, stealing cars etc, they are nothing new, 2006 was a low point, which orlando will bounce back from.

i dont tend to watch news too much, too busy living my life, never have any trouble with crime, i find it funny how all these people complaining about crime only ever see it on the news.

also nirvana guy posts this topic as 'orlando beats miami in top 25 most dangerous' using the term 'beats' gives me the impression this is something this guy is proud of. a dangerous city is not an achievement , it is something to be ashamed of, something we all must work to turn around, and the best way to do that is live your life go where you want when you want.

anyway like i said it looks like orlando is making improvments in 2007
Oh NO! That is NOTHING to be proud of. Orlando beating Miami shows how BAD things are in Orlando. I remember growing up that the horrific crimes in FL were pretty much all in Miami. But since we all considered Miami to be a 3rd world country and not part of the USA, no one was borthered by it.

But now that Miami is getting safer and Orlando is getting more dangerous than even Miami, I think it is a wake up call to the folks.

Hey man, you are even pointing out a piece of news about someone getting whacked and dumped off of I-4 right by the courthouse!! Amelia Street is where the Courthouse is!!

Quote:
today is august 1st. we have been through 7 months of the yr. if we have 26 already, that is a little over 3.7 per month. at this rate we will be closing in on 45 by the end of the yr. i think we had 46 last yr. not much improvement.
It is going to get worst. It has been a patter, a trend in orlando this last 5 years or so. Crime has gone up steadily and the lack of law enforcement leadership and the incompetent Orlando mayor has only made things a lot worse.

Quote:
fla has 6 of the top 25. not a proud moment, obviously.
No, it is not. But I bet you most of the crime is not by Floridians or the long-term residents. I would bet you these are mostly the transient folk that come down to FL and of course the illegal aliens don't help the statistics either.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedWingsFan View Post
I would figure that Orlando has one of the higher crime rates. Although its a good 45 minutes or so away it's where my news comes from (I'm in the Daytona area). It's filled with crimes taking place everyday! I'm not surprised at all.
But there was a time Orlando was not like that. This is a recent trend. Daytona has become considerably more violent too, hasn't it??

I think we need to brainstorm and phone call and fax blast Mayor Buddy Dyer's office and DEMAND they start arresting drug dealers and holding them with no bond. Crackheads should also get locked up too, because although people want to lower penalties for "low crack offenses", it is insane to do so. Crack users are extremely violent and dangerous!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida