Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-28-2009, 09:04 AM

7 posts, read 24,593 times

Advertisements

My hubby is planning on going to police academy, but we can decide where would be the best place for our family. We are mostly looking for a place that family friendly, not a lot of crime, and mild weather! We lived in Florida and we did love it there, but we are worried about the the budgets. Please help us decide!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-28-2009, 12:26 PM

479 posts, read 1,455,586 times
I wouldn't worry too much about the budgets...once the leaders figure out they need to live within their means, they'll budget accordingly. Of course they could always try to raise our taxes, but they'd rather raise "fees" and not call it taxes. That's already happening. But it's not like Florida is going to go up in smoke and we'll have to leave it to the gators. Right now you could get a good deal on housing and there are many school districts that are considered very good. We still don't have a state income tax. But there are areas (Orlando is one) that are laying off some public employees -- like firemen.

However...you need to check out each state and the lifestyle you want to live. I wouldn't even consider 2 of the states you mentioned, but that's personal preference. But I would most likely consider 1st the state where there is a need for entry level officers with an affordable cost of living. You can find good and bad in every state.

Old 05-28-2009, 12:29 PM

4,678 posts, read 9,889,153 times
As far as quality of life and affordability, I would rank them as follows..

1. Missouri
2. Louisiana
3. Mississippi
4. Florida

Being a police officer in Florida isn't as safe as it is in other places and you have to go through TONS of redtape and paperwork with the FDLE to come into the state as a LEO and if you DID go to the academy somewhere else, Florida makes you go through theres anyway.

Old 05-28-2009, 12:57 PM

1,468 posts, read 4,749,053 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bproud View Post
My hubby is planning on going to police academy, but we can decide where would be the best place for our family. We are mostly looking for a place that family friendly, not a lot of crime, and mild weather! We lived in Florida and we did love it there, but we are worried about the the budgets. Please help us decide
wrong thread

Old 05-28-2009, 01:01 PM

4,678 posts, read 9,889,153 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mango23 View Post
wrong thread
they made the thread, how is it wrong ?

Old 05-28-2009, 01:06 PM

7 posts, read 24,593 times
We are currently living in sw Michigan with family, we want to move out of this area because they NEVER hire new officers, or there is no close police academies. Michigan has no work. I just want to find a place to call home. I do understand there is no such thing as a perfect place!!! I would move anywhere as long as it has mild weather-I cant drive in that snow! I just needed some advice, thanks for those comments..

Old 05-28-2009, 01:09 PM

569 posts, read 1,668,857 times
I would expand your list to include Texas at the top and put Florida last. Texas is growing rapidly and will need more of everything such as teachers, fire, police. Florida has collapsed like a house of cards because of the housing bust. Cities and towns are laying off and more tax dollars continue to go out the door as more homes are foreclosed on and people move out of state. Also because of the recession and influx of illegals crime and robberies have skyrocketed in Florida. Salaries are very low as well with some starting in only the low $20K range. Florida is no place for a rookie. This is a no-brainer.

Missouri is not known for having a warm climate. I think the winters are pretty bad there. A friend of mine was a police officer in Detroit. At least people speak English there. He could not believe what was going on in Florida even compared to Detroit. Maybe you should check out AZ, NM, GA, NC, SC, TX. These should all be better places.

Old 05-28-2009, 02:55 PM

384 posts, read 1,580,818 times
Quote:
Maybe you should check out AZ, NM, GA, NC, SC, TX.
I realize that some people carry a negative view of Alabama , but its economy is holding up surprisingly well compared to most places.
Nationally, 7 of the top 10 cities in the country in 2008 for housing appreciation were in two states, Alabama and Texas.

Old 05-28-2009, 03:27 PM

8,377 posts, read 30,895,919 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by psouth View Post
Maybe you should check out AZ, NM, GA, NC, SC, TX. These should all be better places.
Except for Texas, suggest the places that ARE worse, lmao. There are too many illegals in Florida so let's move to Arizona instead! Too much crime, South Carolina is perfect! No jobs in Florida, so Georgia and North Carolina are AWESOME !

Come on guys, Mississippi over Florida for a family? Missouri will probably (but maybe not) have better schools and generally is safer. Mississippi and Louisiana are almost guaranteed to be worse in everything except for traffic and cost of living. Even the weather will be worse, considering they get all of the extremes of a Florida summer, including hurricanes, but not quite as nice of a winter. I would rank it like this

1. Missorui
2. Florida
3. Louisiana
4. Mississippi

Old 05-28-2009, 03:33 PM

2,414 posts, read 5,399,789 times
According to that national ranking list, SC and LA have more crime than Florida, and AZ and NM have high crime as well, although we are rated a few states higher than them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
View detailed profiles of: