Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Thread summary:

Florida resident firm that state is a good place to live, traffic complaints in all major urban cities, home prices, weather conditions, cost of living, population influx and growth

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-10-2007, 12:04 PM

18 posts, read 81,077 times

Advertisements

I think alot of people have unrealistic expectations of Florida. I was born here, and I think it's great.

riverviewnative and jhlcomp have good points though, I hope it gets better soon...it's not to the point yet where I want to leave, but it's close.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-10-2007, 12:28 PM

13 posts, read 44,245 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arctanx View Post
I think alot of people have unrealistic expectations of Florida. I was born here, and I think it's great.

riverviewnative and jhlcomp have good points though, I hope it gets better soon...it's not to the point yet where I want to leave, but it's close.
Very very good point about people's expectations. When I was in Florida last year on my "scouting" trip that lasted 4 months, yes it was very different, especially being from the West Coast. It really didn't bother me though that things were different, it made it that much more interesting.

I guess I really don't have that many expectations about my permanent move to Florida. I've done my research, I know I want to live where its really warm almost all the time and Florida is my best bet.

I will say that I initially turned to this forum to get useful information, not page after page of ramblings of the "horrors of Florida".

Well, I'm off to dream of Palm Trees and the Beach.........

Old 04-10-2007, 12:31 PM

Location: Lots of sun and palm trees with occasional hurricane :)
8,293 posts, read 16,160,105 times
I've been in Miami almost 11 yrs. Came here for long weekends and stuff frequently during the year. Some of you will think I'm nuts but I always liked Miami and I like Florida in general and still haven't seen enough of it.
There are several reasons why I STILL like Miami - I don't have small children so don't have to worry about schools, I like the food, I speak Spanish, I am Cuban by birth, I have a very good salary and being raised in NYC, traffic, overcrowdedness, highrises, etc. don't bother me.

I will tell what is taking a toll. Homeowner's insurance and taxes and the fact that you can't just move to a better house or better location because you'll lose the homestead exemption (others have mentioned this). So even if your financial situation is not bad, the discretionary, vacation, new car, whatever extras income, starts to disappear because you need to cover other increases. I'm not planning to move, unless I win the lottery, but the belt keeps getting tighter.

Old 04-10-2007, 12:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vpcats View Post
I've been in Miami almost 11 yrs. Came here for long weekends and stuff frequently during the year. Some of you will think I'm nuts but I always liked Miami and I like Florida in general and still haven't seen enough of it.
There are several reasons why I STILL like Miami - I don't have small children so don't have to worry about schools, I like the food, I speak Spanish, I am Cuban by birth, I have a very good salary and being raised in NYC, traffic, overcrowdedness, highrises, etc. don't bother me.

I will tell what is taking a toll. Homeowner's insurance and taxes and the fact that you can't just move to a better house or better location because you'll lose the homestead exemption (others have mentioned this). So even if your financial situation is not bad, the discretionary, vacation, new car, whatever extras income, starts to disappear because you need to cover other increases. I'm not planning to move, unless I win the lottery, but the belt keeps getting tighter.
I guess I'm in slightly different boat, I don't plan on buying a home in Florida right away, thats a few years down the road, thats one thing I don't have to worry about.

Old 04-10-2007, 01:27 PM

9,324 posts, read 26,749,371 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OREGONRAIN View Post
I noticed all the complaints myself, and it does make it difficult for people that may be researching the state and think about relocating there. I also noticed when I visited there, many of the problems are well founded. Not everyone can afford to move to fla any longer, and perhaps that was intended I don't know. From the lack of infrastructure and overpopulation, maybe fla needs to take a rest from growth and catch up with itself.

It can't, Florida depends on selling itself to bring in the money. There's just not enough real industry to fund the jobs needed to take Florida to where it belongs, the #1 state in the USA! Also the quality of people here could never support a world-class business climate. We have to continue the back-room deals and under-the-table employment of slave-like labor to keep the investors profits up. You either are established already or get a running start here with boatloads of capital, but if the development stops the party's over.

Old 04-10-2007, 03:32 PM

6,853 posts, read 22,459,078 times
Its not just the people that have moved here that are not happy with Florida, many of the native floridians are moving out of state for many reasons (weather, taxes, insurance, conjestion, crime, etc.) As an employer, I have to agree that the pool of great employees isn't great in South Florida.

Old 04-10-2007, 03:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by doggiebus View Post
Its not just the people that have moved here that are not happy with Florida, many of the native floridians are moving out of state for many reasons (weather, taxes, insurance, conjestion, crime, etc.) As an employer, I have to agree that the pool of great employees isn't great in South Florida.
Nor are the employers for that matter, If you look you can find them though.

Old 04-10-2007, 03:48 PM

6,853 posts, read 22,459,078 times
We do look but it takes usually 2 months, and many, many resumes later that we find someone that is right for the job.

Old 04-10-2007, 04:08 PM

607 posts, read 3,557,961 times
A lot of dreamers move to Florida for a "better" life. They've listened to too many Jimmy Buffet songs and they think it's like living in a big resort.

People think it's going to be cheap and sunny , no problem mon.

Then after about a year of 10 sunburns and a couple of layoffs the reality sets in.

After a while it's complain, complain, complain. Whine, whine, whine. Most realize it's still better than where they are from, so they stay and complain and whine somemore.

My suggestion is go fishing and take a nice deep breath.

Old 04-10-2007, 04:24 PM

1,683 posts, read 8,211,667 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ellie View Post
A lot of the complaints are facts. A large number of the problems in Florida have been compounded by population growth. The more people who move here, the worse it will get.

The Bay area is expensive, but must be worth it, or people wouldn't pay the price.

And there are many of us who think Florida is worth it as well.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida