U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-31-2009, 01:20 PM

5,642 posts, read 7,974,390 times

Advertisements

Has economic twilight fallen on nation's Sun Belt? - Yahoo! News

This was a thread started on the General Forum. It was originally published in Forbes. The same article also appeared in today's Naples News.

This was also posted on the same thread:

How the Crash Will Reshape America - The Atlantic (March 2009)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-31-2009, 01:42 PM

7,732 posts, read 12,157,068 times
In a word, no.

The Sunbelt is NOT monolithic.

Old 05-31-2009, 03:48 PM

4,346 posts, read 6,061,197 times
I read both of these articles and all I know is that last night we went out to a restaurant along the Indian River and listened to an aging Jimmy Buffet wanabee band, ate mussels with garlic and fish tacos, drank a draft beer, all while watching pelicans roost on the pier as night fell, and I count my blessings that I'm in Florida and not back up north trying to squeeze everything into my 10 weeks of summer. I'm starting to HATE Christmas because I have to travel north and brave the cold. I love Florida, I love everything it has to offer... it's a state of mind. If you don't get it, if you don't have it, then please, PLEASE get the hell out of here and stop whining.

Old 05-31-2009, 03:50 PM

1,335 posts, read 4,379,320 times
lol...its just as bad up north, worse in some spots...California, New York and FLorida are the states in the most trouble and on the brink of financial collapse...my family lives on long island in NY and there are horror stories left and right up there and a plethora of very serious problems that arent going away anytime soon...at least we have near perfect weather most of the year and dont have to deal with miserable cold grey days for months on end

Old 05-31-2009, 04:00 PM

5,642 posts, read 7,974,390 times
Default Of course it all comes down to WEATHER

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSnFla View Post
lol...its just as bad up north, worse in some spots...California, New York and FLorida are the states in the most trouble and on the brink of financial collapse...my family lives on long island in NY and there are horror stories left and right up there and a plethora of very serious problems that arent going away anytime soon...at least we have near perfect weather most of the year and dont have to deal with miserable cold grey days for months on end
All my daughters, in laws, friends, and family still have jobs on LI. My older daughter, who moved to Florida and left after 4 months, got a job on LI in March with just a telephone interview while still living in Florida.

ONLY my husband, in IT field, was unable to get a job in NY. I QUIT mine to come here.

I don't know who are all these out of work New Yorkers. Tell me because weather means nothing to me.

Old 05-31-2009, 04:19 PM

1,335 posts, read 4,379,320 times
listen florida has a LOT of problems and i'd be the first to list them for you BUT the state of NY is in ruins and a fiscal Nightmare. any open minded, educated humble nyer will gladly point this out with ease...theres no utopia, life is life...we will always have problems to deal with whoever we are....whether it be health, family, financial, world events, etc etc...happyness comes from within and those who truly get it could find bliss sitting in a cardboard box...

Old 05-31-2009, 04:32 PM

2,414 posts, read 4,805,151 times
I know numerous people up north (not in the IT field either) who were laid off months ago and can't anything. Although they get better unemployment benefits in those states, generally higher COL than here, so being unemployed is more of a drain.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TANaples View Post
All my daughters, in laws, friends, and family still have jobs on LI. My older daughter, who moved to Florida and left after 4 months, got a job on LI in March with just a telephone interview while still living in Florida.

ONLY my husband, in IT field, was unable to get a job in NY. I QUIT mine to come here.

I don't know who are all these out of work New Yorkers. Tell me because weather means nothing to me.

Old 05-31-2009, 07:37 PM

190 posts, read 688,254 times
`~~~~~~~"Don't worry....... be happy"~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Old 05-31-2009, 10:40 PM

1,104 posts, read 3,389,250 times
The sunbelt is still growing during this economic decline. I would expect once things are on the rise again the migration to the sunbelt will be even stronger before. I can't wait to head back down to Florida this fall.

I agree verobeach. Trying to cram everything into 10 weeks up here is very difficult. Everyone is out doing the same things, lawnmowers, weed whackers, traffic, chaos, summer fever and before you know its over. In actuality 10 weeks is being generous since I can start tasting fall in the air by mid-August.

Last edited by CleanCutHippie; 05-31-2009 at 10:48 PM..

Old 06-02-2009, 06:59 AM

7,930 posts, read 17,797,641 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSnFla View Post
listen florida has a LOT of problems and i'd be the first to list them for you BUT the state of NY is in ruins and a fiscal Nightmare. any open minded, educated humble nyer will gladly point this out with ease...theres no utopia, life is life...we will always have problems to deal with whoever we are....whether it be health, family, financial, world events, etc etc...happyness comes from within and those who truly get it could find bliss sitting in a cardboard box...
You are so right..My family is in Staten Island, and friends in Long Island, and it is sad how difficult things have gotten there, we grew up in brooklyn, and lived up north most of our adult lives and well change is good for most people...our decision to move to charlotte was a great decison because my daughter never would have recieved from an education standpoint what she has had here back up north, she has come so full circle as a person, and we couldnt have done it with the support of the school..My son also from an education and personal stand point has grown so although we chose not to stay here, the change was good for other reasons..and I really think that this PERSON really needs to re-think and find something that makes her happy instead of constantly beating a dead horse on the same topic how miserable florida is..People still want to move there, so I would think there has to be some good things and again, you dont know people just what u read and people shouldnt have to justify why they choose a particular state to relocate to or from..and people shouldnt feel bad either if they choose to move to florida or anywhere else for that matter.. because at the end of the day, Florida for some people might be what the Doctor ordered...We choose not to go back up north, although we had the opportunity to, instead we choose florida for alot of different reasons...and for a new chapter in life...We are moving next week, and couldnt be happier as dh has been down there already..

There are positives and negatives to everywhere and not just florida, or New York etc...

We only live once in life and since a health scare here I really have tried to be more positive, and not let stupid things or people bother you, life is too short to constantly be miserable
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or