U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-31-2009, 09:26 PM

717 posts, read 2,488,218 times

Advertisements

Just curious...for those of you who moved to the beach--do you get tired of it? Does it lose its appeal after a while? OR: Do you still love it as much as the day you moved there?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-01-2009, 04:28 AM

807 posts, read 2,819,877 times
We've been here 1 1/2 years now. We love it as much as ever. I wish we'd moved sooner!

Old 06-01-2009, 06:02 AM

1,380 posts, read 5,229,705 times
When we first moved to Florida we bought a home 6 blocks from the beach and were thrilled. After 7 years we moved to live on the water, after 4 years we moved to be back to be near the beach. Been here 4 years. I still love being near the beach as much as ever, but it's easy to take it for granted. The beach is a great stress reliever. One of my neighbors has lived on the street for 25 years and never misses a day at the beach. I wish I could be that regular, but I do get to the beach a lot.

Old 06-01-2009, 06:26 AM

1,468 posts, read 4,154,096 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by itsajourney View Post
Just curious...for those of you who moved to the beach--do you get tired of it? Does it lose its appeal after a while? OR: Do you still love it as much as the day you moved there?
I have lived walking distance to the ocean for more then 50 years. It never loses it's appeal. It is a form of nature, you don't have to love it or hate it. I also love green fields and mountains as well. I see the ocean everyday and I will be going bike riding along the ocean in a few minutes. I'll probably lock up the bike and take a walk in the beach and then come back to my office. The beach and ocean has a way of changing, never the same. Storms coming in off the ocean can be spectacular, nature at it's best.

The people are always changing, they come and go. You see and maybe even talk to them everyday for a week, then never see them again, people from all over the world. You can take the boat out for a while on the ocean and drift fish. On a nice day there is nothing like it. You don't have to be rich, I have a beautiful boat I bought at a an auction for $3500.00 and although I keep it in the water, you can trailer it so you have no real extra expense. Water ski or dive what ever. Friends will always want to visit, your home will become the family vacation destination. I don't think no matter how bad your day has been or your mood, a quiet walk on the beach can't make you feel better.

The ocean is something bigger then ones self and just sitting and looking at it puts life in perspective. I think it is healthy. I have never been at the ocean and had the feeling I wanted to run screaming as I have felt in some cities. It's hard to get tired of the ocean. If you are in a crowded resort area I could see you getting tired of the crowds and people but not of the ocean. The ocean is never disappointing, it just does it's thing.

I was going out the door and wanted to come back and add one more thought.
The ocean is a living thing. You can interact with it, it doesn't just sit there. There are so many activities involved with the ocean. I love looking at say mountains in a distance and fields but they are not like the ocean, I can actually get involved with the ocean. It make sounds has moods, is so alive and engaging when you are near it. The ocean is not just something you look at, you experience it. How can you get tired of that?

Last edited by mango23; 06-01-2009 at 06:40 AM..

Old 06-01-2009, 06:32 AM

15,109 posts, read 30,995,525 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mango23 View Post
I have lived walking distance to the ocean for more then 50 years. It never loses it's appeal. It is a form of nature, you don't have to love it or hate it. I also love green fields and mountains as well. I see the ocean everyday and I will be going bike riding along the ocean in a few minutes. I'll probably lock up the bike and take a walk in the beach and then come back to my office. The beach and ocean has a way of changing, never the same. Storms coming in off the ocean can be spectacular, nature at it's best.

The people are always changing, they come and go. You see and maybe even talk to them everyday for a week, then never see them again, people from all over the world. You can take the boat out for a while on the ocean and drift fish. On a nice day there is nothing like it. You don't have to be rich, I have a beautiful boat I bought at a an auction for $3500.00 and although I keep it in the water, you can trailer it so you have no real extra expense. Water ski or dive what ever. Friends will always want to visit, your home will become the family vacation destination. I don't think no matter how bad your day has been or your mood, a quiet walk on the beach can't make you feel better.

The ocean is something bigger then ones self and just sitting and looking at it puts life in perspective. I think it is healthy. I have never been at the ocean and had the feeling I wanted to run screaming as I have in felt in some cities. It's hard to get tired of the ocean. If you are in a crowded resort area I could see you getting tired of the crowds and people but not of the ocean. The ocean is never disappointing, it just does it's thing.
I agree! The beach is nature at it's best, and is so stress-relieving. Especially here on the Gulf Coast where we have the soft white sand. And one more thing - I am addicted to that salty smell! There is nothing like it - while we don't live on the beach, we are two blocks from the bay so I get to see that everyday when I ride my bike. I am never moving away from the water again. It makes your spirit feel free.

Old 06-01-2009, 06:40 AM

7,645 posts, read 16,021,534 times
We rented at the beach a block from the Gulf when we moved here, but when we bought a home, we ended up going about five miles inland. I'm glad we lived where we did for those years; it was great to be able to just walk out the door and have the ocean there. But we wanted a shorter commute to work and we found a community with a lot of amenities that we fell in love with that's only a 10 minute drive from the Gulf, and we ended up there.

And hurricanes were always a concern for us. The area still had damage from Opal when we moved there (one of our neighbors was still fighting his insurance company three years later over his house getting destroyed in the storm) and it was a barrier island and they're inherently kind of iffy when the next storm hits. When Ivan did hit in 2004, our old beach apartment complex had a lot of water in the first floor units, and it took at least a couple of weeks before utilities were restored and the road was dug out and damage was fixed and people could live in our old building again.

Living at the beach long term, you just have to be a lot more Zen about personal belongings than either I or the mister are.

Old 06-01-2009, 10:40 AM

2,949 posts, read 12,155,488 times
I lived near the beach when I first moved to Florida. It was a wonderful experience and I loved every minute. The downside was the salt air and its effect on my car - not major, however. Then I moved inland a bit and after some years, I moved to Weston. But whenever I need to feel renewed, it's off to the beach I go.

Old 06-01-2009, 10:44 AM

1,468 posts, read 4,154,096 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jhlcomp View Post
I lived near the beach when I first moved to Florida. It was a wonderful experience and I loved every minute. The downside was the salt air and its effect on my car - not major, however. Then I moved inland a bit and after some years, I moved to Weston. But whenever I need to feel renewed, it's off to the beach I go.
You won't find any bears at the beach.

Old 06-01-2009, 10:48 AM

1,023 posts, read 2,989,490 times
I think this is truly individual. For some it may lose its appeal. I think truthfully it loses some of the draw b/c everything does when you can take it for granted and live on it. We had a pool in our back yard...loved it from day one. Every year we used it less and less b/c life got busier and time wasn't permitting it. However, we still loved having it. Moved away from FL, and now have no pool, and don't miss it one bit. Weird how things change.
I think it really depends on who you are as a person. If the beach is in your blood, you'll probably always love it. I will always love the beach, but never went as often as I could have.

Old 06-01-2009, 11:32 AM

1,134 posts, read 3,621,466 times
To me, Florida is so hot because its part of Hell.
Living on the beach is the only thing that has allowed me to maintain
and semblance of sanity.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or