U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 06-03-2009, 09:50 AM

2 posts, read 14,835 times

Advertisements

Hi,

Does anyone know a rough estimate of the cost of a moving company taking you to Florida from Pennsylvania? We are putting our house in PA up for sale at the start of the new year and would like to move to the Melbourne/Viera area. We would need a company that loads and unloads for you since we've got a one year old and another one on the way in September.

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-03-2009, 09:53 AM

23,995 posts, read 32,322,325 times
It depend son how much stuff you've got. When we asked for quotes for our NJ to Orlando move (6 rooms) the cheapest we got was $12K and that was with us doing the packing.

Old 06-03-2009, 10:19 AM

824 posts, read 1,538,628 times
When I thought my home here in Florida was sold (I was going back to NJ) I researched like crazy the cheapest company I found was called. Upack. Its a large trailer thats placed in your yard once filled a wall is placed in front of your belongings, and you put a lock on it. There are measurements on the floor to tell you how many linear feet you took up. I have a large home 5 bdrms 2800 sq feet. Nothing is ever removed while shipping, like some moving companies do, however if the trailer is not full someone else may load their things in front. I found a company here in Florida that loaded my things onto the truck and also secured my big screen and dining room table. Three men for $65.00/hour and thats total not per person. The total cost for the men $195.00 plus tip and travel of $50.00. The trailer charge was $2100.00. These trailers are similar to pods however I had way to many things and would have had 4 or 5 of them.

Old 06-03-2009, 10:39 AM

7,175 posts, read 12,311,162 times
we used from NJ to NC South Hills Movers, they are out of PA....we are using them again for our move next week down to Boca Raton..they aren't cheap but they arent expensive either, try giving them a call again we have been very happy with them...

Old 06-03-2009, 05:47 PM

1,686 posts, read 3,404,972 times
I have had three moves with Fogerty out of south Florida and no problems.One to Arkansas,back and forth from Ct. They have calculator on there site.

Old 06-03-2009, 06:13 PM

6,476 posts, read 13,137,023 times
Friends of ours used a company called Pack Rat same concept, to move their 3000sq. ft. house. They packed the containers themselves, but hired help to unload it all. They had great things to say about the experience. I think there is another company called PODS (a neighbor used them last month, amazing process how those containers are put in your driveway) and I think I saw a new one can't remember the name, but it had a cow pattern on the outside of their boxes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmccauley View Post
When I thought my home here in Florida was sold (I was going back to NJ) I researched like crazy the cheapest company I found was called. Upack. Its a large trailer thats placed in your yard once filled a wall is placed in front of your belongings, and you put a lock on it. There are measurements on the floor to tell you how many linear feet you took up. I have a large home 5 bdrms 2800 sq feet. Nothing is ever removed while shipping, like some moving companies do, however if the trailer is not full someone else may load their things in front. I found a company here in Florida that loaded my things onto the truck and also secured my big screen and dining room table. Three men for $65.00/hour and thats total not per person. The total cost for the men $195.00 plus tip and travel of $50.00. The trailer charge was $2100.00. These trailers are similar to pods however I had way to many things and would have had 4 or 5 of them.

Old 06-03-2009, 09:55 PM

824 posts, read 1,538,628 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by doggiebus View Post
Friends of ours used a company called Pack Rat same concept, to move their 3000sq. ft. house. They packed the containers themselves, but hired help to unload it all. They had great things to say about the experience. I think there is another company called PODS (a neighbor used them last month, amazing process how those containers are put in your driveway) and I think I saw a new one can't remember the name, but it had a cow pattern on the outside of their boxes.
If I ever sell my house I will go this route again. They even offer storage if your not able to accept your belongings right away. When I moved from NJ to Florida what a nightmare. My things must have been moved to other trucks, when it finally arrived on the orange truck, no ramps, things were damaged and of course there is no recourse.

Old 06-03-2009, 10:17 PM

6,476 posts, read 13,137,023 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dmccauley View Post
If I ever sell my house I will go this route again. They even offer storage if your not able to accept your belongings right away. When I moved from NJ to Florida what a nightmare. My things must have been moved to other trucks, when it finally arrived on the orange truck, no ramps, things were damaged and of course there is no recourse.
I know this is the way I will be moving next time too. Our friends that used them, actually had the pods stored for 3 months I think, as they moved into an apartment for 3 months until their house was finished. No problems at all. What you mentioned about the moving company, thats what worries me, and why I will go the container way. I bet more and more people are moving this way, I had no clue how expensive moving companies are, $14k charge to move, seems really outrageous.

Old 06-04-2009, 08:21 AM

2 posts, read 14,835 times
This is all very helpful info, thank you all so much for your input!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida