Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-06-2009, 12:42 PM

479 posts, read 1,455,860 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by annerk View Post
I closed on my house in 2004. I pay over $9K a year in taxes. I have neighbors whose home is worth more than mine by at least $100K who closed in 2001 who are paying $3500 in taxes. And that is equitable how??
Maybe you should contact the county for a reevaluation of your taxable value -- not that it would do any good. That's quite different from the market value. There are limits on the annual increase for assessment. In 2004, sales prices were going up and away...far more than in 2001. You obviously paid what you believed was a fair price and your taxing began on your assessed value.

Go to the property appraiser's site in your county and search the assessed values of both properties. I'm sure you'll see a difference.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-06-2009, 01:01 PM

26,585 posts, read 62,038,899 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ACTS Mom View Post
Maybe you should contact the county for a reevaluation of your taxable value -- not that it would do any good. That's quite different from the market value. There are limits on the annual increase for assessment. In 2004, sales prices were going up and away...far more than in 2001. You obviously paid what you believed was a fair price and your taxing began on your assessed value.

Go to the property appraiser's site in your county and search the assessed values of both properties. I'm sure you'll see a difference.
I have. Their "just vallue" is $100K lower than mine--and they have a larger home with a pool. Even with the $100K, my taxes shouldn't be $5K higher than theirs. But because of FLoridas crazy tax scheme, they are.

Then I compared to people with homes in isleworth worth over $2M, and guess what? Theya re paying the same amount I am. And the Orange and Lake taxes work out to be iwthin 2% of each other as far as millage goes. It's crazy.

Old 06-06-2009, 10:00 PM

1,468 posts, read 4,749,955 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Peterson View Post
There is no need to remove the SOH nor institute a state tax.

Cut wasteful government spending and we should be able to reduce taxes not raise them.

There is no need for the Supervisor of Elections for my county to make over $100,000 a year nor the commissioners to make $60,000. Just eliminating useless jobs would bring the budget down to where it needs to be. After that we could eliminate the usless programs and get budget down to an more acceptable level.
Search: Broward Sheriff's Office overtime and base pay -- South Florida Sun-Sentinel.com

Old 06-07-2009, 05:24 PM

3,566 posts, read 3,732,913 times
Quote:
Think about it. Someone who bought a house in 1985 for $100K--that house is now worth $800K yet they are paying taxes on it as if it were worth maybe $200K. For people in newer homes bought after 2002 or so you're not going to see a change. It's the people who have seen their property values appreciate substantially and their tax bill go up by a few hundred dollars that aren't carrying their share.
Property value is a concept that has no meaning except when one purchases or sells a property. People should pay taxes based on the value of the property when they bought it. Otherwise people can be property-taxed out of their homes just because property values have gone up. The fact that the value of your home has increased doesn't give you any more disposible income to pay increased property taxes. That applies especially to retired people. The time to tax the increase in value is when that property is sold. The advantage of doing this is that property tax assessors will not be burdened with making ongoing tax appraisals. They would only do it at point of sale and levy the tax on that sale.

Old 06-07-2009, 06:31 PM

26,585 posts, read 62,038,899 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimMe View Post
Property value is a concept that has no meaning except when one purchases or sells a property. People should pay taxes based on the value of the property when they bought it. Otherwise people can be property-taxed out of their homes just because property values have gone up. The fact that the value of your home has increased doesn't give you any more disposible income to pay increased property taxes. That applies especially to retired people. The time to tax the increase in value is when that property is sold. The advantage of doing this is that property tax assessors will not be burdened with making ongoing tax appraisals. They would only do it at point of sale and levy the tax on that sale.
Nope. If everyone was paying an equitable share based on the current value of their home, the only people who would see their property taxes rise are the ones who are paying far below their fair share. Those of us who are shouldering a huge burden simply because we haven't been in the house as long would see our taxes decrease and be paying an equitable share. Adjusting value as you are implying doesn't work because a home could be worth 10 times what was paid for it before it was sold. Ridiculous!

Old 06-07-2009, 06:46 PM

9,324 posts, read 26,747,624 times
So what is wrong with giving everyone the same property values as equal SOH homes? That would be very fair!

Old 06-07-2009, 06:53 PM

2,414 posts, read 5,400,759 times
I can see how SOH probably seemed like a good idea back when it was enacted, but the road to hell is paved with good intentions. It's like rent control, another idea which doesn't always work so well in the real world.

Old 06-07-2009, 07:19 PM

9,324 posts, read 26,747,624 times
I had a strangler fig in a sabal palm here. It started out as a cute little sprout and then grew into a tiny branch. Then a few roots grew down the tree, the roots got thicker and more numerous over time. Finally last year it had almost overwhelmed the tree. Cutting it down was difficult so I just cut off the roots. While they tried to regrow I kept at it. Finally it dried out and is now falling apart. Thus is the nature of government. If we can cut taxes eventually the strangler fig called government will stop growing and if we keep at it will die back, leaving us with our quality of life again. Why do people constantly beg for more taxes and a lower standard of living?

Old 06-07-2009, 07:32 PM

479 posts, read 1,455,860 times
Tallrick: Brilliant concept!

Tried to give you reps, but have to spread it around first. But this is one of the best examples of government, big government, I've ever seen! Thank you.

Old 06-07-2009, 07:39 PM

8,489 posts, read 20,641,705 times
Quote:
Nope. If everyone was paying an equitable share based on the current value of their home, the only people who would see their property taxes rise are the ones who are paying far below their fair share. Those of us who are shouldering a huge burden simply because we haven't been in the house as long would see our taxes decrease and be paying an equitable share. Adjusting value as you are implying doesn't work because a home could be worth 10 times what was paid for it before it was sold. Ridiculous!
If people move to an area before it is popular and before values increase people there have been in already paying taxes.

When you purchased you had a very good idea what your taxes would run and are just complaining now because someone is paying less.

You think taxes should be adjusted so that people that are just moving in should be equal to the people who have supported the community for years.

Just sounds like sour grapes to me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida