U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Do you like Florida's climate overall?
Yes 88 57.52%
NO, way too hot & humid! 63 41.18%
Not sure 2 1.31%
Voters: 153. You may not vote on this poll

Old 06-09-2009, 07:18 AM

6,561 posts, read 12,892,896 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Peterson View Post
The question was "Do you like Floridas climate?"

Not, "Do you like Floridas climate compared to N, NE, SW, etc?"

Besides that, how would comparing Atlanta,GA to Worcester,MA have anything to do with whether someone likes Floridas climate?
Very well then, I must LOVE Florida's climate. Since I have no basis to compare and Florida is the only climate we are allowed to discuss.

Guess compared to no climate at all, Florida ROCKS!

Anyway, I understand your point as I lived in both Tallahassee and Orlando. From about late March to late October I didn't find them to be all that different (Tallahassee may have actually been hotter).

In the later fall and winter months, Tallahassee seemed to go into a phase of upper 50s for a high and somewhere in the 30s for a low (though there were variations, naturally). What I remember most about Tallahassee was the rain in January and February.... Nothing I hate more than cold rain... ICKY!!
Quick reply to this message

Old 06-09-2009, 07:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OrlandoRE_Miracle View Post
I have no idea what his point is. If he's trying to recruit people to move to the South he's not doing a good job.
FWIW I couldn't care less if anyone moves to "The South".... Just think that the "Either Summer for 9 months or winter for 7 months" comparisons that people seem to make on here are disingenuous at best..... If that is the comparison we are making to determine whether we "Like Florida's climate", then no wonder so many people think it's great!

Heck, I'd have to really think hard on whether New England or the upper Midwest over Florida and it's no secret that I'm not a fan of the Florida heat...

Last edited by Rhett_Butler; 06-09-2009 at 07:31 AM..

Old 06-09-2009, 07:34 AM

2,414 posts, read 4,805,151 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhett_Butler View Post
FWIW I couldn't care less if anyone moves to "The South".... Just think that the "Either Summer for 9 months or winter for 7 months" comparisons that people seem to make on here are disingenuous at best.....
This thread is about Florida's climate, not making comparisons with other states, or convincing people to become halfbacks. Why are you beating this dead horse?

Is it that hard to believe that many of us who chose to move here actually enjoy this climate?

Old 06-09-2009, 07:45 AM

5,642 posts, read 7,974,390 times
Default But that is key

Quote:
Originally Posted by OrlandoRE_Miracle View Post
This thread is about Florida's climate, not making comparisons with other states, or convincing people to become halfbacks. Why are you beating this dead horse?

Is it that hard to believe that many of us who chose to move here actually enjoy this climate?
If you have never lived anywhere else but here, how would you know? You need a comparison in order to state whether you like it or not. Right?

Old 06-09-2009, 07:52 AM

8,488 posts, read 17,946,882 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TANaples View Post
If you have never lived anywhere else but here, how would you know? You need a comparison in order to state whether you like it or not. Right?
No, if someone has lived here their whole life and they like the climate they still like the climate even if they have not lived anywhere else.

That is not to say someone can not use other places they have lived to compare but to it still comes down to whether they like the climate or not.

Old 06-09-2009, 08:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TANaples View Post
The Mod said only to discuss Florida. So I was just trying to follow the rules so it doesn't get locked.

Whether you like something is very subjective, there's no correct or incorrect.

Old 06-09-2009, 09:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Peterson View Post
No, if someone has lived here their whole life and they like the climate they still like the climate even if they have not lived anywhere else.

That is not to say someone can not use other places they have lived to compare but to it still comes down to whether they like the climate or not.
Let me spell it out in plain English.

You questioned the OP to clarify his question as to "Where in Florida are you referring to." with regard to how one likes the weather.

I'm questioning the OP as to "As compared to what?" with regard to how one likes the weather.

Somehow your question is legitimate whereas mine is not. If this thread is ONLY for those who have lived in Florida for their entire lives, then maybe you have a point, but it should be clarified.

Personally I think you're being purposely obtuse. You know what the purpose of comparing other climates is, but don't wish to acknowledge it because it lessens YOUR point about the "great variance" in climate within the state.

I'll drop out of this thread though as it's pretty rediculous IMO if we're just supposed to say 'yes' or 'no' and leave it at that and apparently aren't allowed to expound on why (which may actually require a mention of climates in states other than Florida.... GASP )

Old 06-09-2009, 09:26 AM

3,048 posts, read 6,585,084 times
This is going to be my first summer in FL and I know it will be a shock. I have lived in a few states MI,FL,CA. I have a real hard time getting around in the winter due to a pain condition so living in a state with that 7 months out of the year is hard. I do feel all states have there pros and cons in terms of everything. Also what effects one does not another. It is finding the best situation which can't be perfect since there is no such thing and accepting the not so great times. Like for me NY for ex looks fun but I could never stand outside for transportation or walk around from place to place in the snow/cold. For another it has not such an impact. Some also are more sensitive to temps and also if you had a job outside either extremes in not fun.

Old 06-09-2009, 09:43 AM

Quote:
I'll drop out of this thread though as it's pretty rediculous IMO if we're just supposed to say 'yes' or 'no' and leave it at that and apparently aren't allowed to expound on why (which may actually require a mention of climates in states other than Florida.... GASP )
Buh bye!

Old 06-09-2009, 09:44 AM

8,488 posts, read 17,946,882 times
There is no need to "spell it out in plain English" as I understood exactly what you were saying. I just saw no need to compare the climate in Ga with the climate in MA and did not see the relevance. If you want to compare South Florida to Ga or North Florida to MA then go right ahead. Comparing them to each other has nothing to do with the climate in Florida.

Do you like Florida's climate?

That is a pretty straight forward freaking question.

While some may want to compare Florida's climate to other climates when responding to it, it is not a requirement.

It is also not a requirement that you know of any other type of climate to be able to answer the question.

If I say I like it hot and I hate the cold, I do not need to analyze 5 other areas to know that I hate the cold no matter if it is for 2 months, 4 months or 6 months.

My statement about the climate within Florida stands. There is a large difference between the climate in South Florida compared to North Florida. When others make a statement as if all of Florida has the same weather it just shows ignorance.

Quote:
Let me spell it out in plain English.

You questioned the OP to clarify his question as to "Where in Florida are you referring to." with regard to how one likes the weather.

I'm questioning the OP as to "As compared to what?" with regard to how one likes the weather.

Somehow your question is legitimate whereas mine is not. If this thread is ONLY for those who have lived in Florida for their entire lives, then maybe you have a point, but it should be clarified.

Personally I think you're being purposely obtuse. You know what the purpose of comparing other climates is, but don't wish to acknowledge it because it lessens YOUR point about the "great variance" in climate within the state.

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or