Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Do you like Florida's climate overall?
Yes 88 57.14%
NO, way too hot & humid! 64 41.56%
Not sure 2 1.30%
Voters: 154. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-11-2009, 07:57 AM

5,643 posts, read 9,598,107 times

Advertisements

Well, since the majority of people who move to Florida come here FOR the weather, it is not a surprising result. Although it is still very, very close.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-11-2009, 08:10 AM

1,468 posts, read 4,728,511 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OrlandoRE_Miracle View Post
"Yes" is winning in the poll
Actually a poll like this would most likely attract the negative poster. That would make the result so far an even greater lead for those who like the weather. Every Florida hater would with out a doubt open this thread but those who are happy may or may not.

Old 06-11-2009, 08:28 AM

2,414 posts, read 5,380,162 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mango23 View Post
Actually a poll like this would most likely attract the negative poster. That would make the result so far an even greater lead for those who like the weather. Every Florida hater would with out a doubt open this thread but those who are happy may or may not.
I wasn't even going to bother to vote in the poll at first, then I finally did.

Old 06-11-2009, 08:32 AM

5,643 posts, read 9,598,107 times
Since it is on the Florida forum and not the General US forum, you will probably only get people who are living in Florida, or those who have recently left. The low numbers bear that out.

It depends what the OP had in mind. Sounds to me like just people currently living here.

Old 06-11-2009, 08:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TANaples View Post
Since it is on the Florida forum and not the General US forum, you will probably only get people who are living in Florida, or those who have recently left. The low numbers bear that out.

It depends what the OP had in mind. Sounds to me like just people currently living here.
I'm not sure about that--I think it could be attracting a lot of people who've moved away but still have an axe to grind.

Old 06-11-2009, 09:56 AM

6,565 posts, read 14,250,286 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OrlandoRE_Miracle View Post
I'm not sure about that--I think it could be attracting a lot of people who've moved away but still have an axe to grind.
Probably a combination of both.....

If I had to guess. If everyone who frequented the FLORIDA forum were to vote, it would probably come out to about 75% like the weather and 25% don't... That's simply because this forum is primarily made up of those who live here, like it and wish to offer information on their state and those who wish to move to the state.

Yes, there are those like myself who lived there and moved who still come back and offer occasional advice and get caught up in these "discussions" and those who live in Florida still and cannot stand it and come here to vent. I'm willing to admit that we're the minority here. No biggie.

Now..... You put this poll out in the general forum and suddenly the results would probably reverse to close to 70-75% don't like it and 25-30% do like it.....

This is like going to a candy shop and having a poll on whether you like chocolate or not.... Some won't because they're there for something else other than chocolate, but the majority will say they like it....

Old 06-11-2009, 10:41 AM

1,336 posts, read 4,946,844 times
i think almost anyone would love the weather in florida from late october through april and almost everyone would dislike the weather from may through october....how many people dislike 70s sunny with no humidity and how many love 93, 90% humidity, constant rain, etc etc....its 2 very different experiences which is just one of the reasons why this state is so transient, part time and economically unsustainable

Old 06-11-2009, 10:48 AM

6,565 posts, read 14,250,286 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSnFla View Post
i think almost anyone would love the weather in florida from late october through april and almost everyone would dislike the weather from may through october....how many people dislike 70s sunny with no humidity and how many love 93, 90% humidity, constant rain, etc etc....its 2 very different experiences which is just one of the reasons why this state is so transient, part time and economically unsustainable
I see this posted a lot.... For many that may be true. For me, the issue was that it began to get too hot for me in March and didn't let up until November or December. Perhaps that's really the issue with the weather is where one finds the cut-off to where Florida weather turns mild.....

Heck, I remember some 80-85 degree Christmases in the Orlando area..... No, it isn't 90+ degrees, but after going through 4-6 months of 90+ degrees 80-85 never seemed like much of a respite to me....

So to me it always seemed like January and February (and sometimes parts of March) were the tolerable months. Sure it varies some from year to year, but that was always how I saw it.....

Old 06-11-2009, 11:02 AM

12,385 posts, read 28,383,763 times
Dec-Feb are the only tolerable months to me if I were in Orlando... I don't like anything over 80-85 especially coupled with humidity. It is okay if I am out on the beach with a breeze in shorts and no t-shirt on a vacation. But normal living? Going to work, any prolonged outdoor activities like running, hiking, camping, etc. No way.
I'm pretty fine from about 20-80 degrees F daytime highs.

And why I hate it??? I hate being sticky walking around sweating my ass off...

" Body size
: The larger the athlete, the greater the sweat losses. Males generallysweat more than females." I'm 6'3" 215...
"
Fitness
: Well-trained athletes sweat more. And they start sweating at a lower body temperature. Why? The function of sweating is to cool the body. The well-trained athlete cools his or her body more efficiently than an untrained person."

Old 06-11-2009, 12:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TANaples View Post
Well, since the majority of people who move to Florida come here FOR the weather, it is not a surprising result. Although it is still very, very close.
I know that you never wanted to move here in the first place, and only moved here for economic reasons. But I'm still amazed, reading this forum, that there exist uniformed people out there who moved here for warm weather and didn't know that Florida is hot and humid subtropical climate. That's deeply ignorant.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida