U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Do you like Florida's climate overall?
Yes 88 57.52%
NO, way too hot & humid! 63 41.18%
Not sure 2 1.31%
Voters: 153. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-16-2009, 10:07 AM

50 posts, read 151,393 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by grapico View Post
Like I posted earlier, temp here Friday will be 99-101 depending on accuweather/weather channel... with a heat index of 113.

AccuWeather.com - Tallahassee 5 Day Weather Forecast: FL (http://www.accuweather.com/us/fl/tallahassee/32303/forecast.asp?partner=accuweather&traveler=0&zipChg =1&metric=0 - broken link)

read em and weep.
Guess I ought to cry too. We are currently in northeast AL, roughly 500 miles north of central FL, and our current weather is not much different --

Today --- high 96, 'real feel' 110
Tomorrow --- high 96, 'real feel' 110
Thursday ---high 96, 'real feel' 109

AccuWeather.com - Gadsden 5 Day Weather Forecast: AL (http://www.accuweather.com/us/al/gadsden/35901/forecast.asp?partner=accuweather&traveler=0&zipchg =1&metric=0 - broken link)

Having been stuck here the past couple summers, that's not too unusual for this area at all. But we also get to freeze our butts off during the winter. Given the choice between dealing with both cold & hot weather, I'll personally take a longer period of heat without the cold.

Savannah, GA --- 'real feel' is well over 100 for days on end too....

Goose Creek SC Friday -- temp 100 'real feel' 108

(I just picked a southern town in SC randomly - I just love the name of that town!!!! )

Laredo, TX for the next 15 days -- only one day below 100, highs up to 110, 'real feel' about the same or higher than the actual temp.

My point is, that FL is NOT the one & only place in this country that gets hot & humid. It might last a bit longer than some other locations, but the trade-off is avoiding the colder temps in the winter. For *some* people, that trade-off is well worth it. For others, it's not. Personal preference & to each their own. And rightfully so - if we all liked exactly the same climate, 90% of us would all be jammed into one place & the rest of the country would be a barren wasteland....

Sometimes, reading this forum, one would think that the only inhabited places in this country are FL, a few states in the northeast, and the Carolinas. Everything is always comparing FL with NY - and the Carolinas thrown in sometimes.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-16-2009, 11:25 AM

8,488 posts, read 17,940,505 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by History Rules View Post
Actually last year more people left Florida than moved in from the United States, and that is a fact. People are totally over Florida. Population did grow but not from other parts of US, from 3rd World countries, also your climate figures are distortions. If the high was 81 or 82 it rained the entire day. Thre are no nights in the low 60's in June in Florida and keep in mind the low temperature is for one second at about 5:50 AM, at first light the temperature goes up eight to ten degrees above that and by the time you go to your car to leave for work the temperature is closer to the days high than the days low with oppressive humididty. Those are some things I know from living there that you neglect to tell.
If people are totally over Florida the population would not continue to grow.
I am sure the people coming from Europe and Latin America appreciate you refering to them all as from 3rd world countries.

June 1st low of 63
June 2nd low of 66 and 5 other days

This is in central Florida so I am sure some parts of North Florida were a degree or 2 cooler.
These were also days without any rain.

That day that was 81 we got a whole .16 of an inch of rain.

You still neglected to tell how I gloss it over. Are they not standing in the same climate with me when I show houses? Most are here for at least a week, do I tell them it is 20 degrees higher than normal that day?

Old 06-16-2009, 12:14 PM

552 posts, read 447,358 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ferretlady4719 View Post
Guess I ought to cry too. We are currently in northeast AL, roughly 500 miles north of central FL, and our current weather is not much different --

Today --- high 96, 'real feel' 110
Tomorrow --- high 96, 'real feel' 110
Thursday ---high 96, 'real feel' 109

AccuWeather.com - Gadsden 5 Day Weather Forecast: AL (http://www.accuweather.com/us/al/gadsden/35901/forecast.asp?partner=accuweather&traveler=0&zipchg =1&metric=0 - broken link)

Having been stuck here the past couple summers, that's not too unusual for this area at all. But we also get to freeze our butts off during the winter. Given the choice between dealing with both cold & hot weather, I'll personally take a longer period of heat without the cold.

Savannah, GA --- 'real feel' is well over 100 for days on end too....

Goose Creek SC Friday -- temp 100 'real feel' 108

(I just picked a southern town in SC randomly - I just love the name of that town!!!! )

Laredo, TX for the next 15 days -- only one day below 100, highs up to 110, 'real feel' about the same or higher than the actual temp.

My point is, that FL is NOT the one & only place in this country that gets hot & humid. It might last a bit longer than some other locations, but the trade-off is avoiding the colder temps in the winter. For *some* people, that trade-off is well worth it. For others, it's not. Personal preference & to each their own. And rightfully so - if we all liked exactly the same climate, 90% of us would all be jammed into one place & the rest of the country would be a barren wasteland....

Sometimes, reading this forum, one would think that the only inhabited places in this country are FL, a few states in the northeast, and the Carolinas. Everything is always comparing FL with NY - and the Carolinas thrown in sometimes.
Goose Creek is an awesome little town outside of Charleston!

Old 06-16-2009, 12:45 PM

12,391 posts, read 24,567,618 times
never said it was just FL... south alabama and south georgia are probably worse during peak of the summer due to inland heating effect. but yes FL is significantly longer with fewer breaks.

Old 06-16-2009, 03:20 PM

31,375 posts, read 19,625,015 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Peterson View Post
Please explain how to gloss over weather and how to do it to make a sale.
Do buyers float around in a climate controlled bubble until they buy a house?

Quite a few days this month had highs of 81 or 82 with most of those days in the 70's for most of the day and mid to low 60's at night. If you need Ac in that weather then, no, Florida is not for you.

Colossal mistake? Most projections show Florida overtaking NY in population by 2020. Seems to me that many more like it here than you think and do not look at it as a colossal mistake.
Here is one example of how realtors "gloss over weather on their websites in hopes of hooking a sucker.

Quote:
One of the area's biggest attractions is its year-round mild weather. Mid-Florida's subtropical climate has long been a strong draw for tourists and residents alike. At the heart of the "Sunshine State," the area's average annual temperature is a comfortable 72.4 degrees. Average annual rainfall amounts to over 50 inches per year, keeping Central Florida lush and green throughout the year. Prevailing winds are southerly at nine mph. The average elevation of the region is 127 feet above sea level

Weather and Temp in Orlando Florida

Old 06-16-2009, 03:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Peterson View Post
Please explain how to gloss over weather and how to do it to make a sale.
Do buyers float around in a climate controlled bubble until they buy a house?

Quite a few days this month had highs of 81 or 82 with most of those days in the 70's for most of the day and mid to low 60's at night. If you need Ac in that weather then, no, Florida is not for you.

Colossal mistake? Most projections show Florida overtaking NY in population by 2020. Seems to me that many more like it here than you think and do not look at it as a colossal mistake.
Here is another example:

Quote:
So how's the weather in Englewood, Florida? In a word, delightful! We enjoy a temperate, sub-tropical climate year-round. While we may suffer some pretty hot and humid days in July, the winters are to die for!
WEATHER ENGLEWOOD FLORIDA (http://www.englewood-florida-real-estate-guide.com/weather-englewood-florida.html - broken link)

Old 06-16-2009, 03:37 PM

1,973 posts, read 3,754,328 times
I agree with your assessment of that quote - but after looking at the website you mentioned, I noticed that they made no attempt to actually conceal data. The bar chart graph depicting annual and monthly highs and lows were accurate - with highs in the 90's represented from June to September, but the summary of the data (which is actually correct) gives a wildly inaccurate impression(to a realtor's advantage) of the actual living experience. It's the Jan-Feb lows in the high 40's that torque the data to 72.4 degrees. Actually whoever wrote that blurb should seriously consider getting into the legal profession.

Old 06-16-2009, 03:38 PM

552 posts, read 447,358 times
I love when the weatherman says, "it's a beautiful day in Central Flaahrida, temps at 93 degrees and plenty of sunshine."

Meanwhile, on weather.com, it says if you live in Central FL, on Friday, stay in the house, dont leave kids or pets inside your car, even with the windows cracked. Drink plenty of water. LOL.

Old 06-16-2009, 03:42 PM

1,973 posts, read 3,754,328 times
It is wildly inaccurate to use the word "temperate" to describe the climate of Englewood.

Old 06-16-2009, 03:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reptoid Humidian View Post
I agree with your assessment of that quote - but after looking at the website you mentioned, I noticed that they made no attempt to actually conceal data. The bar chart graph depicting annual and monthly highs and lows were accurate - with highs in the 90's represented from June to September, but the summary of the data (which is actually correct) gives a wildly inaccurate impression(to a realtor's advantage) of the actual living experience. It's the Jan-Feb lows in the high 40's that torque the data to 72.4 degrees. Actually whoever wrote that blurb should seriously consider getting into the legal profession.
True. There are plenty of other sites from realtors similar to those I have shown.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or