U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
View Poll Results: Do you like Florida's climate overall?
Yes 88 57.52%
NO, way too hot & humid! 63 41.18%
Not sure 2 1.31%
Voters: 153. You may not vote on this poll

 
 
Old 06-17-2009, 07:10 AM
 
Location: Hernando County, FL
8,488 posts, read 17,946,882 times
Reputation: 5397

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by grapico View Post
Hrrm... living in urban big city north though, i.e. chicago, nyc, boston, philly, dc...don't really have to deal with shoveling snow, driving in it... it is really a non factor. The city has snow plows and cleans the streets. If you were living in middle of wisconsin or something...yeah, I can see why you wouldn't want to do that.
Until the snow plow just pushes all the snow up against the people parked on the street.
Then they have twice as much to shovel out.
Quick reply to this message

 
Old 06-17-2009, 07:17 AM
 
Location: NorthEast
258 posts, read 247,939 times
Reputation: 175
Have you been outside today? What's it like? How will it be tomorrow? When will be the next five days in a row that you can sleep COMFORTABLY without air conditioning? Answer, on the five days, probably sometime in mid December, and that is no exageration. Look to your East, what do you see? Neon signs and chain restaurants Look to you West what do you see? Cookie cutter homes with grass you can't walk on Look to your South what do you see? Crime ridden slums and transients holding cardboard signs. Look to your North and what do you see? A bank with a therometer that says 98 on it. But I'm a realtor and you should really move here because it's not so bad and even though I'm not needed I will get a kickback if you move here, so if you ask me the climate is great and we are lucky to have found this place.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-17-2009, 07:28 AM
 
17,297 posts, read 25,709,107 times
Reputation: 8567
Quote:
Originally Posted by History Rules View Post
Have you been outside today?
Yes. It's summer. It's hot.

Quote:
Originally Posted by History Rules
When will be the next five days in a row that you can sleep COMFORTABLY without air conditioning?
If HISTORY is an indicator, then I will turn the air conditioning off sometime in late October or November at night, and sleep with the windows either open... or closed, with no air conditioning, until March or April.

Quote:
Originally Posted by History Rules
Look to your East, what do you see? Neon signs and chain restaurants
Nope, not around these parts.

Quote:
Originally Posted by History Rules
Look to you West what do you see? Cookie cutter homes with grass you can't walk on
Yeah, there are some cookie cutter subdivisions to the West. Very reminiscent of recent patterns of development throughout the US.

Quote:
Originally Posted by History Rules
Look to your South what do you see? Crime ridden slums and transients holding cardboard signs.
If only a place existed in this entire country that did not have "crime ridden slums" or "transients" holding cardboard signs.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-17-2009, 07:47 AM
 
Location: Hernando County, FL
8,488 posts, read 17,946,882 times
Reputation: 5397
Quote:
Originally Posted by History Rules View Post
Have you been outside today? What's it like? How will it be tomorrow? When will be the next five days in a row that you can sleep COMFORTABLY without air conditioning? Answer, on the five days, probably sometime in mid December, and that is no exageration. Look to your East, what do you see? Neon signs and chain restaurants Look to you West what do you see? Cookie cutter homes with grass you can't walk on Look to your South what do you see? Crime ridden slums and transients holding cardboard signs. Look to your North and what do you see? A bank with a therometer that says 98 on it. But I'm a realtor and you should really move here because it's not so bad and even though I'm not needed I will get a kickback if you move here, so if you ask me the climate is great and we are lucky to have found this place.
It is funny how you keep avoiding questions based on what you posted.

I use AC usually 4 months of the year. June to Sept. I am more than comfortable the 8 months I do not have AC on. There is no need for it when it is in the 60s and 70s. Yes it will get into the 80s some in May and October but I am very comfortable when it is in the 80s.

Do some people use it more? Yes. Do some use it less? Yes.

I look to the west and I see a 35,000 acre preserve which starts less than 3000 ft from my front door. I look east and I see some homes on 1/2 acre lots, some farms, some ranches and some more preserve land. I look north and there is more preserve land, some homes on acre and 1/2 acre lots with a couple of developments. South of me I have Weeki Wachee Springs off US19 where there will be signs and stores. I don't know many areas that don't have signs and stores.

Crime ridden slums, transients holding cardboard signs. Nope, we aren't in your neighborhood.

And if Realtors were not needed we would not be around. If people are willing to pay us there must be a need for us.

Yes, I do think the climate is great and I am lucky to have found where I am now.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-17-2009, 07:54 AM
 
552 posts, read 447,668 times
Reputation: 148
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Peterson View Post
Yes it does speak for itself.

It says that Orlando averages 109 days of 90+ degree temps.

Do you see as it saying more?

If it does what does it say?
90 + degree temps for over 1/3 of they year to me, as well as namy others, is atleast 109 uncomfortable days. That's all. To me, I believe it, but I am almost suprised by that number.

To me, and I would think to most people, temps between 72-77 are PERFECT. Not hot, not cold. Bodies should be most comfortable when the weather is comfortable. I cant imagine saying, you know 77 is nice, but I'd rather it be 90. To me, a better climate is where the temps are the most comfortable for the most amount of days, not where it doesnt get cold at all. If you ask most folks, temps around 72 are the most pleasant, but I think some people are stubborn, and will say 90 is more comfortable to them til their blue in the face because they moved here without knowing how truly hot it gets, they just dont wanna see snow again.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-17-2009, 07:58 AM
 
1,468 posts, read 4,168,027 times
Reputation: 1071
Quote:
Originally Posted by History Rules View Post
Have you been outside today? What's it like? How will it be tomorrow? When will be the next five days in a row that you can sleep COMFORTABLY without air conditioning? Answer, on the five days, probably sometime in mid December, and that is no exageration. Look to your East, what do you see? Neon signs and chain restaurants Look to you West what do you see? Cookie cutter homes with grass you can't walk on Look to your South what do you see? Crime ridden slums and transients holding cardboard signs. Look to your North and what do you see? A bank with a therometer that says 98 on it. But I'm a realtor and you should really move here because it's not so bad and even though I'm not needed I will get a kickback if you move here, so if you ask me the climate is great and we are lucky to have found this place.
The state is 500 miles long with 1200 miles of coast line.. It sounds like you once visited one city you didn't like and think that is the whole state. If I understand you correctly, you do even live here.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-17-2009, 08:03 AM
 
Location: where my heart is
5,642 posts, read 7,974,390 times
Reputation: 1661
Default Dry 70s

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scientifical Madness View Post
90 + degree temps for over 1/3 of they year to me, as well as namy others, is atleast 109 uncomfortable days. That's all. To me, I believe it, but I am almost suprised by that number.

To me, and I would think to most people, temps between 72-77 are PERFECT. Not hot, not cold. Bodies should be most comfortable when the weather is comfortable. I cant imagine saying, you know 77 is nice, but I'd rather it be 90. To me, a better climate is where the temps are the most comfortable for the most amount of days, not where it doesnt get cold at all. If you ask most folks, temps around 72 are the most pleasant, but I think some people are stubborn, and will say 90 is more comfortable to them til their blue in the face because they moved here without knowing how truly hot it gets, they just dont wanna see snow again.
very HUMID 70s, like here, make it feel like it is in the 80s.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-17-2009, 08:10 AM
 
Location: Hernando County, FL
8,488 posts, read 17,946,882 times
Reputation: 5397
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scientifical Madness View Post
90 + degree temps for over 1/3 of they year to me, as well as namy others, is atleast 109 uncomfortable days. That's all. To me, I believe it, but I am almost suprised by that number.

To me, and I would think to most people, temps between 72-77 are PERFECT. Not hot, not cold. Bodies should be most comfortable when the weather is comfortable. I cant imagine saying, you know 77 is nice, but I'd rather it be 90. To me, a better climate is where the temps are the most comfortable for the most amount of days, not where it doesnt get cold at all. If you ask most folks, temps around 72 are the most pleasant, but I think some people are stubborn, and will say 90 is more comfortable to them til their blue in the face because they moved here without knowing how truly hot it gets, they just dont wanna see snow again.
I don't think I have heard many people here say that 90 is more comfortable than 77. I have seen them say that 90 is comfortable to them.

I know 90 is no problem for me but I also know that 111 days with temps 40 and below like NY has is very uncomfortable to me.

It seems to be a trend here. Poster doesn't like hot weather and from that fact comes to the conclusion that no one else could like hot weather.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-17-2009, 08:13 AM
 
6,561 posts, read 12,892,896 times
Reputation: 3165
Quote:
Originally Posted by OrlandoRE_Miracle View Post
Or better, visit here in August. It should only take one day to get the picture for those who aren't totally thick.
This really isn't that difficult a concept, but I'll spell it out since it has apparently escaped you for all 24 pages or so of this thread thus far...

Little metaphor to see if it helps your comprehension:

There's a diet that is prescribed to a lot of heart patients that is a good rapid weight-loss diet as well that I tried once. The central part of this diet is a tomato-based vegetable soup that you are supposed to eat at LEAST once a day and they encourage you to eat it whenever you are hungry.

Now this diet only lasts for 7 or 8 days (I forget exactly).

-On the first day you eat the soup and you're like, "Hey, this isn't so bad!!! It actually tastes pretty good!!!! This should be no problem."

-Second day you eat it, it's sustenance and it's okay.

-Third day you're tired of it, but choke it down anyway

-Anyway, by the fourth day and beyond the mere THOUGHT of this soup makes you want to vomit.....

How does this relate to Florida weather? Well, I'd hope I wouldn't have to explain, but again, it's been 24 pages and you still don't get it so I wil.

No one day spent, nor one or two-week vacation can adequately prepare a person for what it is like for it to be (what is to some) exceedingly hot for 6-9 months out of the year.... Someone can attempt to explain it to you until you're blue in the face, but a person will just think, "Oh, I stayed there for a week last June. It wasn't bad. In fact, I thought it was quite nice!! I could deal with weather like that every day!!!"

Well, it doesn't quite work out that way for many people...

Now BEYOND all of this is the simple concept that weather isn't all there is. Some people actually move down for different reasons (I was one of those). Now to YOU apparently, since a person CHOSE to move to Florida they are apparently not allowed to complain about the weather even though their being in Florida may have ZERO to do with weather.

The thing I always point out and get censured for is why then do people think it's okay for those who live outside the state to complain about the weather where they live in these threads?? Why do you not tell Mr. Ohio, "Hey, you knew how the weather was going to be. Why complain about it if you aren't/can't do anything about it?"

The answer of course is simple. THAT person supports your contention about the wonderful Florida weather while the other does not.....

To each their own of course! Isn't that what we always say? (You know, instead of trying to tell someone that their opinion is idiotic, or that they are somehow a living paradox because they are still residing in a place where they hate the weather?)
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-17-2009, 08:19 AM
 
6,561 posts, read 12,892,896 times
Reputation: 3165
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Peterson View Post
I don't think I have heard many people here say that 90 is more comfortable than 77. I have seen them say that 90 is comfortable to them.

I know 90 is no problem for me but I also know that 111 days with temps 40 and below like NY has is very uncomfortable to me.

It seems to be a trend here. Poster doesn't like hot weather and from that fact comes to the conclusion that no one else could like hot weather.
Well it definately seems to be a trend or fact that the older people get, the more warm they like it..... My grandparents were in their 80s living in the West Palm area and I'd go down to visit and they'd have the heat on in April!!!

Fortunately they had a dual zone thermostat in their house and I was on the opposite end, but MAN!!! I'd go over to their end to be social and melt....
Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


 
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top