U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Do you like Florida's climate overall?
Yes 88 57.52%
NO, way too hot & humid! 63 41.18%
Not sure 2 1.31%
Voters: 153. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-08-2009, 12:41 PM

8,488 posts, read 17,860,295 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhett_Butler View Post
Well, since variations in Florida's climate have to do with it's varying latitudes and not so much with East-West distance (which time zones basically are), multiple time zones are kind of irrelvent.

Is Jacksonville REALLY that much different than Pensacola?.

Pensacola: Climate in Pensacola, Florida

Jacksonville: Climate in Jacksonville, Florida

Nope.
His point was that there is a large distance between South Florida and the Panhandle in North Florida.

There is a large difference in climate between the 2.

He made this point for the same reason I had earlier in the thread.

Too many people talk about Florida's climate as if there is no difference through out the state.

I guess it is too hard to grasp the concept though.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-08-2009, 12:53 PM

552 posts, read 443,905 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OrlandoRE_Miracle View Post
Average historical daytime high for Fort Myers in July/August is 92 degrees, on weather dot com.
92 is very hot, especially for being a coastal city. It also gets VERY muggy there. No breeze, and if there is, it's a warm breeze that doesnt cool me off (when I've been there anyway).

Old 06-08-2009, 12:56 PM

552 posts, read 443,905 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OrlandoRE_Miracle View Post
He claimed it hits 98-100 every day during the summer.
He's probably saying that when the humidity was factored in. The heat index is probably what he was refering to. My guess anyway.

Old 06-08-2009, 01:45 PM

6,853 posts, read 19,729,305 times
Please stay on topic, the topic is Florida's Climate. Not any other state.

Old 06-08-2009, 03:07 PM

2,414 posts, read 4,788,894 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by doggiebus View Post
Please stay on topic, the topic is Florida's Climate. Not any other state.
Thanks doggiebus. This thread was getting off hand.

I like the climate humid. It's a bit humid from June - September but every place has something bad about it. And even the humidity I don't mind that much.

Old 06-08-2009, 03:39 PM

1,973 posts, read 3,736,238 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jojajn View Post
I have visited Florida quite a few times, both in and off season.

In the summer months, the heat was sweltering! Everyone congregated together under small areas that provided shade. The summer downpours quickly put an end to any outdoor activities. The humidity was suffocating.
Indoors, everything everywhere constantly had a misty/mildew odor. Even indoors, the AC did not keep up enough to maintain a comfortable level of dryness.
These are the reasons that I LOVE the South Florida climate (And yes I prefer the South Florida climate and lack of fall colors over the North Florida climate) The smell of the air outside and in air conditioned spaces is hypnotic for me. I've become quite an aficionado of air conditioning mold!

I love the constant rainstorms and thunder. The air is clean and ozonated and fragrant. The state is teeming with life. I am tired of being in dry weather. I've lived in SoCal for 20 years and I am moving to Miami FOR THE HUMIDITY! --Not to mention the Cuban and Puerto Rican food and the exotic cultural experience! I like the heat and I like the air conditioning -- and I get a thrill out of transitioning between the two. Walking outside into that air is surreal - for a Californian. Another poster on one of these forums described this very astutely when he said that every time he walked outside he just had to laugh and ask himself "is this really real?" LOL!

Cheers!

Old 06-08-2009, 08:25 PM

55 posts, read 192,504 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reptoid Humidian View Post
These are the reasons that I LOVE the South Florida climate (And yes I prefer the South Florida climate and lack of fall colors over the North Florida climate) The smell of the air outside and in air conditioned spaces is hypnotic for me. I've become quite an aficionado of air conditioning mold!

I love the constant rainstorms and thunder. The air is clean and ozonated and fragrant. The state is teeming with life. I am tired of being in dry weather. I've lived in SoCal for 20 years and I am moving to Miami FOR THE HUMIDITY! --Not to mention the Cuban and Puerto Rican food and the exotic cultural experience! I like the heat and I like the air conditioning -- and I get a thrill out of transitioning between the two. Walking outside into that air is surreal - for a Californian. Another poster on one of these forums described this very astutely when he said that every time he walked outside he just had to laugh and ask himself "is this really real?" LOL!

Cheers!
Are you really SURE you're talking the right thing!? Especially a Californias

Old 06-08-2009, 08:43 PM

1,973 posts, read 3,736,238 times
On Which Detail?

Old 06-08-2009, 08:49 PM

258 posts, read 245,882 times
Couldn't stand the climate in Florida, as another poster pointed out, the best weather in Florida are when daylight hours are the shortest. That meant there were very few days ever that I could sit outside after work in the light and say read a book in comfort. The other main difference is in most climates you can get nice days all twelve months a year. In Albany for example which is known as a cold climate there are sunny 50 degree days (although not the norm) in January and February where people go out and was their cars with their shirts off. The weather also changes. Once the heat hits in april you don't get a single break even at night until October and then the breaks are intermittent, you'll get a couple cool days followed by several hot and muggy ones. When I lived in Ft. Lauderdale I went to the breeders cup in November at Gulfstreem and it was 85 and muggy, almost unbearable. I spent more than one Christmas down there with air conditioning on. The heat always looms, + no change of seasons. Living up north I realize that people are most irritable and complain the most on the hot and humid days, the 15 or 20 days or so like Florida. It's all personal choice but to me there is no climate worse than Florida and it gets progressively worse as you head south. I don't care if it is 94 or 88 and humid with a breeze, your miserably either way, I would much rather have a few extra cool nights to sleep with my windows open in North Florida. Also, people in Florida get so defensive when people ask, how do you take the heat. I've never heard a New Englender get defensive when asked how do you take the cold? You can always ad clothes or grab a blanket up North, which reminds me of something else, I love sleeping with a goosedown comforter, instead of tossing and turning waiting for the manufactured air to pump on in between sweating.

Old 06-08-2009, 09:21 PM

8,488 posts, read 17,860,295 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by History Rules View Post
Couldn't stand the climate in Florida, as another poster pointed out, the best weather in Florida are when daylight hours are the shortest. That meant there were very few days ever that I could sit outside after work in the light and say read a book in comfort. The other main difference is in most climates you can get nice days all twelve months a year. In Albany for example which is known as a cold climate there are sunny 50 degree days (although not the norm) in January and February where people go out and was their cars with their shirts off. The weather also changes. Once the heat hits in april you don't get a single break even at night until October and then the breaks are intermittent, you'll get a couple cool days followed by several hot and muggy ones. When I lived in Ft. Lauderdale I went to the breeders cup in November at Gulfstreem and it was 85 and muggy, almost unbearable. I spent more than one Christmas down there with air conditioning on. The heat always looms, + no change of seasons. Living up north I realize that people are most irritable and complain the most on the hot and humid days, the 15 or 20 days or so like Florida. It's all personal choice but to me there is no climate worse than Florida and it gets progressively worse as you head south. I don't care if it is 94 or 88 and humid with a breeze, your miserably either way, I would much rather have a few extra cool nights to sleep with my windows open in North Florida. Also, people in Florida get so defensive when people ask, how do you take the heat. I've never heard a New Englender get defensive when asked how do you take the cold? You can always ad clothes or grab a blanket up North, which reminds me of something else, I love sleeping with a goosedown comforter, instead of tossing and turning waiting for the manufactured air to pump on in between sweating.
The defensiveness could come from people constantly making uniformed generalizations.

It is now June, I have the french doors out to the pool open, my air isn't on.

Seems to me that is nothing like what you describe.

You also mention no change of season. What season is it when it is in the 30's and there is frost on the ground every morning?

You say this, "It's all personal choice," and then you say this, "I don't care if it is 94 or 88 and humid with a breeze, your miserably either way".

Which is it, personal preference or are you going to tell us when we are miserable?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or