Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Do you like Florida's climate overall?
Yes 88 57.14%
NO, way too hot & humid! 64 41.56%
Not sure 2 1.30%
Voters: 154. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-08-2009, 06:46 AM

326 posts, read 1,169,667 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jojajn View Post
That was then, this is now.

New Report: Temperatures in Cities Across Florida on the Rise - Environment Florida (http://www.environmentflorida.org/news-releases/global-warming/global-warming-campaign-news/new-report-temperatures-in-cities-across-florida-on-the-rise - broken link)
I don't know what now your living in Northerners been moving down because they're stressed of the cold and snow. It's cheaper to cool then it is to heat. These are all well known facts.

Studies change every years and always countering each other. A little common sense goes a long way.

It rarely gets above 90. It really doesn't get that hot just humid in the summer. You'll get used to it just like if it were vice versa.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-08-2009, 08:08 AM

38,496 posts, read 25,800,800 times
I have visited Florida quite a few times, both in and off season.

In the summer months, the heat was sweltering! Everyone congregated together under small areas that provided shade. The summer downpours quickly put an end to any outdoor activities. The humidity was suffocating.
Indoors, everything everywhere constantly had a misty/mildew odor. Even indoors, the AC did not keep up enough to maintain a comfortable level of dryness.

Old 06-08-2009, 09:17 AM

6,565 posts, read 14,290,938 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mango23 View Post
Florida is a big state. Why is every thought of Florida south Florida? The state is over 500 miles long and has two time zones.
Often wonder why when Floridians whine about whether outside of Florida that they don't seem to understand that the rest of the country is a LOT bigger with MUCH more diversity in climate than New England or the Upper Midwest..... As usual in the Florida forum, this error goes both ways.

Too often I read "Yes, it gets oppressively hot down here for months on end, but it's better than 5 or 6 months of winter!!!" .... Does this sound like someone who has lived in too many areas of the country? Or perhaps someone who's simply saying they like the climate in Orlando, FL better than Buffalo, NY ???

It's like the entire South other than Florida doesn't exist!!! It's either the North, or Florida.... Always been odd to me...

Old 06-08-2009, 09:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Peterson View Post
Average low temps are about 40 in Jax in Jan and Miami avg low is 60.

That is a significant difference.

I have live in S Fla and now in Cen. Fla, there is a significant difference.

I had brought up that many discussing Florida weather have no actual knowledge of it and it is evidenced in the posts that just say "Florida weather" as if it is all the same which it is not.
Exactly true..... Moderator cut: Off Topic

Last edited by doggiebus; 06-08-2009 at 01:32 PM..

Old 06-08-2009, 09:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2goldens View Post
I'd much rather be HOT than COLD.

When I'm feeling too warm, I think of Long Island's slush and defogging my windshield to drive to work ... I feel better immediately.
During the winter months up here I usually think, "Hey, I can always put on more clothes or another blanket, but I can only take off so much.."

Old 06-08-2009, 09:46 AM

5,643 posts, read 9,654,155 times
Default How about the West?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhett_Butler View Post
Often wonder why when Floridians whine about whether outside of Florida that they don't seem to understand that the rest of the country is a LOT bigger with MUCH more diversity in climate than New England or the Upper Midwest..... As usual in the Florida forum, this error goes both ways.

Too often I read "Yes, it gets oppressively hot down here for months on end, but it's better than 5 or 6 months of winter!!!" .... Does this sound like someone who has lived in too many areas of the country? Or perhaps someone who's simply saying they like the climate in Orlando, FL better than Buffalo, NY ???

It's like the entire South other than Florida doesn't exist!!! It's either the North, or Florida.... Always been odd to me...
As in Northern California. They have far more moderate temps than Florida.

Old 06-08-2009, 09:53 AM

Default You mean like this?

Quote:
During the winter months up here I usually think, "Hey, I can always put on more clothes or another blanket, but I can only take off so much.."
Weather: Heat index values as high as 112, rain possible : Weather : Naples Daily News

Notice this says "warm temperatures", meaning this is not something rare. "Cool" temps are heat indexes not quite reaching 100 degrees in summer.

What do I do? I stay inside blasting the AC and watching Ice Road Truckers.

Old 06-08-2009, 10:20 AM

552 posts, read 592,129 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Peterson View Post
Moderator cut: Off Topic
I think what he is saying is that it's silly for people to move from one extreme to another. It's like, people up north in NY or NJ get tired of the cold and the snow, so they move to where it's oppressive half the year. FL isnt the only place in the south, if people want to get warmer. There's GA, NC, SC, TN, KY, VA, etc... where you can get warm, and cold, but for not nearly as long. It's like people are saying one extreme (cold) is better than another (hot). Why not get a little of both, so you cant complain that it's "hot all the time" or "cold all the time." My 2 cents. That's what I gathered from his post anyway.

Last edited by doggiebus; 06-08-2009 at 01:36 PM..

Old 06-08-2009, 10:28 AM

2,414 posts, read 5,399,243 times
Quote:

It's likely that people who wanted warmer weather researched other states as well but chose Florida for one reason or another, so now they're on teh Florida Forum. If you go to the NC or CA or AZ forum you'll find people who made a different decision. The South is also a very different culture from the rest of the country. Nothing wrong with that, but I'm sure a lot of people would rather not deal with the culture clash and instead move to Florida because they know there's a lot of northerners here and fitting in won't be a big issue.

Old 06-08-2009, 10:30 AM

Default Exactly

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scientifical Madness View Post
I think what he is saying is that it's silly for people to move from one extreme to another. It's like, people up north in NY or NJ get tired of the cold and the snow, so they move to where it's oppressive half the year. FL isnt the only place in the south, if people want to get warmer. There's GA, NC, SC, TN, KY, VA, etc... where you can get warm, and cold, but for not nearly as long. It's like people are saying one extreme (cold) is better than another (hot). Why not get a little of both, so you cant complain that it's "hot all the time" or "cold all the time." My 2 cents. That's what I gathered from his post anyway.
That is very much like somebody who used to post here who was raised in South Florida. She wanted to move to someplace with cold and snow and picked at small town in NH. Too extreme and she ended up hating it. We all said pick someplace in between like say, North Carolina or Virginia, where you will have cold and snow but not to the extreme of Northern New England.

The reverse is also true; which explains the many "halfbacks" and the popularity of transplants to NC, Tnn., etc.

Last edited by TANaples; 06-08-2009 at 10:45 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida