U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-06-2009, 07:44 PM

51 posts, read 107,464 times

Advertisements

Hi. My family and I are moving to Florida next year. My Father just passed away, but my Mom and sister are talking about Florida a lot now. My Dad wanted to go, befor he passed away. We live in New England right now and we are sick of the cold weather. I myself, for my family, am looking for a more rural/country setting. With very low crime rate!! And a really good school my child can go to. I'm also a therapeutic riding instructor and I ride horses. I need a place that has a lot of horses around!! If anyone know of such a place, where my daughter will make some great friends and I can ride some horses, please let me know. Right now my daughter is in private shools. Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-06-2009, 10:15 PM

793 posts, read 2,217,931 times
The Ocala area is known for horses, after that I would look at Lake County around Route 44

Old 06-07-2009, 06:54 AM

14,939 posts, read 10,234,397 times
The panhandle (horse heaven) would be another option. Jackson County, very country, quiet, horses, acreage and good schools in Marianna.

Old 06-07-2009, 07:38 AM

1,468 posts, read 4,170,054 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2goldens View Post
The panhandle (horse heaven) would be another option. Jackson County, very country, quiet, horses, acreage and good schools in Marianna.
That may be the first time I have even seen anyone mention Marianna. What is Marianna like?

Old 06-08-2009, 03:23 PM

11 posts, read 27,480 times
Hi, I am also from NE, moved to Brevard Cty 20+ years ago, has good schools because of all the Hi-tech from the space center. But many parts are quite rural without being out in the middle of nowhere, it is also on the atlantic.

Part of Palm Bay and south to the county line are very rural and there are horses there as well as in the northern part of the county. Low crime rate comparatively. As someone else mentioned though the Ocala area is known for it's horse farms - it is much cooler up there, they do get freezes every winter etc. Just depends on what else you are looking for - ie near waterl, which coast etc.

Old 06-14-2009, 04:58 PM

25,449 posts, read 10,449,467 times
I suggest North Port. North Port is in Sarasota County. North Port has everything you are looking for... not so populated, crime rate's low and the schools are good. The police force is dealing with crime, so the rate is decreasing. It's a younger crowd, but I found it to be extremely friendly. It close to beaches, and bigger cities such as Sarasota. Anyplace in Sarasota County would be good for you. Check out the Sarasota-Bradenton-Venice sub-forum for more on North Port and GOOD LUCK!!

Old 06-14-2009, 05:05 PM

9,362 posts, read 22,814,952 times
Lake County andOcala area would be good for the horse, but the public schools are not the best.

I have been hearing a lot about Dunedin from an old friend who moved there several years ago. He said the schools are good and it's a small town with the old Key West feel. If the horses could be boarded further inland, you could have the best of both- live on the coast, good schools and your horses.

Enjoy planning this adventure! You will love Florida.

Old 06-14-2009, 07:33 PM

552 posts, read 448,087 times
I'd say inland from Tampa, around Brooksville and that area, and also the panhandle. Also, Lake Co and parts of Seminole Co come to mind.

Old 06-14-2009, 08:18 PM

186 posts, read 727,932 times
Wellington.....the equestrian capital of the country. Every equine activity imaginable, good schools, very nice town and a lot of good buys in real estate at the moment. Loxahatchee is the next town just north, very horsey as well and more rural.

Old 06-14-2009, 09:00 PM

7,486 posts, read 19,948,349 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suncoast Guy View Post
I suggest North Port. North Port is in Sarasota County. North Port has everything you are looking for... not so populated, crime rate's low and the schools are good. The police force is dealing with crime, so the rate is decreasing. It's a younger crowd, but I found it to be extremely friendly. It close to beaches, and bigger cities such as Sarasota. Anyplace in Sarasota County would be good for you. Check out the Sarasota-Bradenton-Venice sub-forum for more on North Port and GOOD LUCK!!
I agree with Suncoast Guy. Either North Port or Ocala. North Port for all the reasons SuncoastGuy described
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or