U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-09-2009, 09:39 AM

7 posts, read 38,821 times

Advertisements

I am so very close to just picking up and moving to key west. I used to live in ft lauderdale and just recently moved back to mn. I have been to key west several times and just love it. with that being said can any locals give me some input on the job market down there now. I already know about rent and such but I see that alot of people are moving away. Is this opening up any jobs or is it still the same. any information will be greatly appreciated thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-09-2009, 10:27 AM

1,468 posts, read 4,158,124 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dizzle1985 View Post
I am so very close to just picking up and moving to key west. I used to live in ft lauderdale and just recently moved back to mn. I have been to key west several times and just love it. with that being said can any locals give me some input on the job market down there now. I already know about rent and such but I see that alot of people are moving away. Is this opening up any jobs or is it still the same. any information will be greatly appreciated thanks
My sister-in-law lives there. The job market would be around zero. Maybe a bartender or waitress and then probably any job would go to a known local not a newcomer.

Old 06-12-2009, 01:28 PM

7 posts, read 38,821 times
Anyone else have any info? I was really hoping there would be some people on here that live there.

Old 06-12-2009, 02:05 PM

26,590 posts, read 54,490,121 times
I have two friends there. It's ridiculously expensive and jobs are impossible to find. People moving away are the ones that lost jobs and couldn't find another. One of my friends is a bartender, the other telecommutes for a major corporation based elsewhere.

Old 06-12-2009, 02:15 PM

1,335 posts, read 3,202,189 times
Quote:
One of my ex-girlfriends lived there until about six months ago. There are some things you have to remember when thinking about moving to Key West.

-Cost of living is sky high.
-Rent is through the roof ($1,000 a month will get you 1 bedroom with room mates in an old conch shack)
-There are no jobs to be had.
-Most people who move there without careers, connections, or an education often find themselves drinking excessively and/or using drugs before long.

PS - Don't move there if you don't have a career... there are enough bar tenders and waitresses in Key West.

Old 06-26-2009, 05:42 PM

7 posts, read 20,905 times
not sure if this is the best time to move to key west. im from there, but in nj for now and my parents live there. it will be extremely hard for you to find a job, because of the economy and because it is summer, which means sloooow season for key west. if you really want to move, i'd suggest waiting few months, atleast till september. it will pick back up then, for fantasy fest and such. good site to check local news and jobs posted is www.keysnews.com

Old 07-22-2009, 02:05 PM

8 posts, read 18,232 times
I went there for a holiday and thought it was a beautiful place, but as previous posters have stated I think that you need to find a job first before moving. It is quite expensive for rent but I am in uk in Aberdeen, Scotland and a one bed flat is about the same price to rent.

Good Luck with what you decide to do.

Old 07-23-2009, 06:54 PM

403 posts, read 1,432,706 times
Quote:
Anyone else have any info? I was really hoping there would be some people on here that live there.
I would suggest not moving to Key West. The economy is doing very poorly here, and the cost of living is very expensive. Many of the locals here are relocating elsewhere in Florida, believe, I live in Key West and my wife and I are moving to Tampa in less than 2 years.

Old 07-24-2009, 12:27 AM

499 posts, read 1,596,656 times
A lot of "conchs" are now moving to Daytona Beach and St. Augustine because of reasons posted. They have had it with the cost of living and lack of job opportunities. Only thing Daytona Beach has going now is the cost of living/lifestyle/weather -- not the jobs! Employment is VERY rough all over the State.

Best advice would be to get a job where you are, that HAS the ability to transfer to KW, or wherever else in Florida. That's about your ONLY hope right now.

Old 07-27-2009, 03:00 PM

5,322 posts, read 1,986,075 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cuba libre View Post
One of my ex-girlfriends lived there until about six months ago. There are some things you have to remember when thinking about moving to Key West.

-Cost of living is sky high.
-Rent is through the roof ($1,000 a month will get you 1 bedroom with room mates in an old conch shack)
-There are no jobs to be had.
-Most people who move there without careers, connections, or an education often find themselves drinking excessively and/or using drugs before long.

PS - Don't move there if you don't have a career... there are enough bar tenders and waitresses in Key West.
Funny comment about the drug use. Once, in my limousine driver days, I picked up a gynecologist who regailed me with a story about being come addicted to crack after moving to Key West. I guess there is a lot of tempting vice for even career minded individuals down there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida