U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-14-2009, 02:21 AM

7,184 posts, read 16,294,839 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunny-Days90 View Post
Florida cost of living is very good if you get into the right area and housing is going dirt cheap in Florida right now.

If you have jobs lines up and want to live in a warm state that has lots of offer then Florida would be far better then any of those states.

Texas seldom has any city in the top 100 places to live, work and raise a family either. Plano and Austin did crack the top 100 last year but Austin dropped back out. Being so populated like they are you would think they would have at least 5-10 cities but they do not.
Umm, 100% wrong. Florida is not dirt cheap, it just has the dubious distinction of losing more value than almost any other state, getting hit the hardest because it was terribly overpriced. The more-swampland-turned-subdivision game went the way of 100% mortgages, investment ponzi schemes, and no-doc loans.

Texas cities consistently make the top spots in the "best places to live/work" these days. Far, far more so than Florida. Austin is often #1. It has never "dropped back out". Texas is essentially what Florida and most other states strive to be -- a desirable place with plenty of opportunity, low cost of living, and friendly people.

Florida can be fine if you like the beach, don't want to be around too many young people, don't mind humidity, don't expect any near-term property value appreciation, and have enough money to avoid the ghetto areas. Oh, and it helps if you don't need to find a job. I know all that sounds harsh, but I'm not saying the FL lifestyle couldn't be great given the right circumstances. That's the key.

To the OP -- In your list, you can't beat the weather/lifestyle of many places in California... but it comes at a price. If you can afford it and find a job, I'd recommend CA over anything else in your list. If you can't, Texas is the next best thing... maybe Idaho or Arizona third. At least Arizona is a dry heat.

Last edited by atxcio; 06-14-2009 at 02:34 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-14-2009, 03:04 AM

1,629 posts, read 4,863,339 times
Since this is Florida section...I'd recommend South Florida...specifically Palm Beach Gardens or Boca Raton. I lived in Seattle (Edmonds) and California, so if you have any specific questions, send me a direct message.

Old 06-14-2009, 08:02 AM

552 posts, read 449,031 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by compelled to reply View Post
Yeah, Florida schools and drug based economy was just AWESOME 20 years ago .
I was talking more about the friendlier people, easy going environment, etc... jobs and education have never been the top of the list for FL. But the friendlier people and easy going environment was here before. But it's leaving.

Old 06-14-2009, 08:08 AM

552 posts, read 449,031 times
"Texas seldom has any city in the top 100 places to live, work and raise a family either."

^^^ Sunny-Days90, What city in FL can compete with Austin? Jobs, educational setting, climate, cost of living, etc...

Old 06-14-2009, 08:15 AM

2,414 posts, read 4,810,553 times
Arizona or Texas.

Old 06-14-2009, 10:19 AM

11,501 posts, read 13,452,499 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by atxcio View Post
Umm, 100% wrong. Florida is not dirt cheap, it just has the dubious distinction of losing more value than almost any other state, getting hit the hardest because it was terribly overpriced. The more-swampland-turned-subdivision game went the way of 100% mortgages, investment ponzi schemes, and no-doc loans.

Texas cities consistently make the top spots in the "best places to live/work" these days. Far, far more so than Florida. Austin is often #1. It has never "dropped back out". Texas is essentially what Florida and most other states strive to be -- a desirable place with plenty of opportunity, low cost of living, and friendly people.

Florida can be fine if you like the beach, don't want to be around too many young people, don't mind humidity, don't expect any near-term property value appreciation, and have enough money to avoid the ghetto areas. Oh, and it helps if you don't need to find a job. I know all that sounds harsh, but I'm not saying the FL lifestyle couldn't be great given the right circumstances. That's the key.

To the OP -- In your list, you can't beat the weather/lifestyle of many places in California... but it comes at a price. If you can afford it and find a job, I'd recommend CA over anything else in your list. If you can't, Texas is the next best thing... maybe Idaho or Arizona third. At least Arizona is a dry heat.

COL data for the town I currently live in to the town in Florida I am looking at is 25% CHEAPER in Florida. Pretty darn good to me!

Austin is not to bad if you like to live around a a bunch of college kids like you said.

Texas is full of illegals and drugs, I wouldnt live in Texas for anything in the world. You must have missed the TV interview with the Texas sheriff. California is a total mess.

Arizona seems to be popular around the Tempe area but the dry heat and 100 degree temps over and over would be a killer for anyone who does not like dry heat with no ocean breeze.

OP has a tough choice as it really depends on what they like, if you want to be around a state that has plenty of great things to do, good COL and have a job lined up it is hard to beat Florida. If you just want to work, relax and not have a lot to do then one of those other states would be fine.

Texas and California would be at the bottom of my list because of all the problems they are having.

OP- you posted your question in the Florida forum so I am thinking you must like the huge variety of things Florida has to offer you. If you have a job lined up those other states cannot compare.

Ghetto areas, every state has them so dont let someone scare you away from Florida by using Ghetto areas when Texas has more gangs and ghetto areas then any state I have ever traveled in.

Research and your list of likes and dislikes are the key.

Old 06-14-2009, 10:21 AM

11,501 posts, read 13,452,499 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scientifical Madness View Post
"Texas seldom has any city in the top 100 places to live, work and raise a family either."

^^^ Sunny-Days90, What city in FL can compete with Austin? Jobs, educational setting, climate, cost of living, etc...

Austin is a college town, OP did not say they wanted to live in a town full of 18-22 year old kids.

Just to let you know Florida has 3 of the top colleges in the entire US in case you did not know.

Old 06-14-2009, 11:04 AM

15,231 posts, read 31,237,926 times
The weather forecast today in Austin is 99 high and 76 low (otherwise known as freaking hot!!!)

The weather forecast here in Sarasota today is 90 high and 72 low, plus we have a sea breeze. We almost never go above 90 here, and always a breeze.

This climate beats Austin in a heartbeat.

Old 06-14-2009, 11:36 AM

5,642 posts, read 7,991,153 times
Right now in Austin at 1:30 PM

89 degrees
48% humidity
92 degrees heat index

Right now in Naples at 1:30 PM

89 degrees
60% humidity
97 degrees heat index

That is what humidity can do. The balmy gulf winds ain't doing a THING except blowing hot air.

Old 06-14-2009, 01:33 PM

1,779 posts, read 3,492,146 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunny-Days90 View Post
Austin is a college town, OP did not say they wanted to live in a town full of 18-22 year old kids.

Just to let you know Florida has 3 of the top colleges in the entire US in case you did not know.
Uhhh.... in comparison to what? Idaho? you're right.....but in comparison to Texas...

UT (47 National/15 Public)>UF (49 National/17 Public)

Rice (17)>>UMiami (51)

Texas A&M ( 64 National/ 24 Public)>>>>>>>FSU (102 National/50 Public)

Baylor (76)>>>> UCF/USF (Tier 3)

Don't get me wrong. I like Florida, I'm not a basher. But I like Texas more.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or