U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-09-2009, 02:26 PM

1 posts, read 2,129 times

Advertisements

My boyfriend I and our two small children live up in Everett, Wa and desperately need a change after 10 years. Where should we go for a friendlier, safer environment with better education, good, clean parks, recreational activities, higher paying jobs and easy going people? Arizona? Idaho? Florida or California?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-10-2009, 12:27 AM

8,233 posts, read 11,272,809 times
Take a look at brevard County, in FL. good schools easy lifestyle.

Old 06-10-2009, 04:58 AM

2,867 posts, read 6,406,104 times
You are looking for Utopia. It isn't in Florida.

Nevertheless, we need more information:

-Housing budget?
-Better paying jobs-better paying than what? McDonalds?
-What are your job skills? Are you employed now?

Old 06-13-2009, 10:02 AM

509 posts, read 1,481,562 times
The states you are considering represent quite a broad spectrum of life styles, but all are VERY expensive and all of them have been going through some tough financial times. In Florida, the further south you go, the more densely it is populated and the more expensive everything is. Where ever you go, I hope you have jobs to go to.

Old 06-13-2009, 11:14 AM

4,678 posts, read 8,513,939 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cappi3222 View Post
My boyfriend I and our two small children live up in Everett, Wa and desperately need a change after 10 years. Where should we go for a friendlier, safer environment with better education, good, clean parks, recreational activities, higher paying jobs and easy going people? Arizona? Idaho? Florida or California?
Texas.

Old 06-13-2009, 01:48 PM

5,642 posts, read 7,969,609 times
Default I second that

Quote:
Originally Posted by TNRyan23 View Post
Texas.
Texas seems to be doing pretty well in this economy.

Old 06-13-2009, 08:02 PM

11,501 posts, read 13,428,416 times
You said Arizona, Idaho, Florida and California. The questions is what are looking looking for in lifestyle. Someone said they all offer something different.

Idaho may be the least inexpensive but would have a lower quality of life.
No way you should even consider California with the mess they have and Arizona has the desert heat unlike Florida's heat with the nice breezes and great beaches.

Florida cost of living is very good if you get into the right area and housing is going dirt cheap in Florida right now.

If you have jobs lines up and want to live in a warm state that has lots of offer then Florida would be far better then any of those states.

Florida has far more to offer then any of those states by a long shot, depends of course what you are looking for.

Texas seldom has any city in the top 100 places to live, work and raise a family either. Plano and Austin did crack the top 100 last year but Austin dropped back out. Being so populated like they are you would think they would have at least 5-10 cities but they do not.

The two posters who suggested Texas after you gave your 4 states either one ever liked Florida and one is moving to Texas after leaving Florida for Tennessee and then onto Texas, the other never wanted to move to Florida and their input would not be very helpful to you because they both are bias against Florida to begin with.

Important you write down your wants, needs, likes and dislikes etc and research each of those states.

Florida has a lot to offer people if your looking for a lot to do, worlds beaches, food, attractions, nice small towns etc.

Arizona is also popular but quality of life seems to be a problem. California is a no no from my perspective and Idaho might be a decent choice depending on what your likes and dislikes are.

Texas has a mass problem with illegals they cannot overcome and the hospitals and other needed things are suffering from the mass illegals and drugs coming into Texas.

They seem to have some jobs but I do not see that lasting long as the graphs show Texas in on he increase for rising unemployment.

Just like did during the oil boom, everyone ran to Texas for jobs and ended up losing their butts when the oil jobs left. Texas has a history of short term growth and then a strong decline. Now add in the illegals taking many of those jobs and Texas would not be my choice for quality of life for sure and if you find a decent job how long will it be there.

Texas current unemployment rate is at the highest is has been in 7 years.

Research is the key and visit the towns of your choice for several days before moving.

Good luck!

Old 06-13-2009, 08:54 PM

552 posts, read 447,283 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cappi3222 View Post

I'm gonna go ahead and count FL out on that one. If you asked this question 10-20 yrs ago (minus the higher paying jobs), I would have said FL. But not now.

Old 06-13-2009, 09:41 PM

8,376 posts, read 27,783,562 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scientifical Madness View Post
I'm gonna go ahead and count FL out on that one. If you asked this question 10-20 yrs ago (minus the higher paying jobs), I would have said FL. But not now.
Yeah, Florida schools and drug based economy was just AWESOME 20 years ago .

Old 06-13-2009, 10:13 PM

4,678 posts, read 8,513,939 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunny-Days90 View Post
You said Arizona, Idaho, Florida and California. The questions is what are looking looking for in lifestyle. Someone said they all offer something different.

Idaho may be the least inexpensive but would have a lower quality of life.
No way you should even consider California with the mess they have and Arizona has the desert heat unlike Florida's heat with the nice breezes and great beaches.

Florida cost of living is very good if you get into the right area and housing is going dirt cheap in Florida right now.

If you have jobs lines up and want to live in a warm state that has lots of offer then Florida would be far better then any of those states.

Florida has far more to offer then any of those states by a long shot, depends of course what you are looking for.

Texas seldom has any city in the top 100 places to live, work and raise a family either. Plano and Austin did crack the top 100 last year but Austin dropped back out. Being so populated like they are you would think they would have at least 5-10 cities but they do not.

The two posters who suggested Texas after you gave your 4 states either one ever liked Florida and one is moving to Texas after leaving Florida for Tennessee and then onto Texas, the other never wanted to move to Florida and their input would not be very helpful to you because they both are bias against Florida to begin with.

Important you write down your wants, needs, likes and dislikes etc and research each of those states.

Florida has a lot to offer people if your looking for a lot to do, worlds beaches, food, attractions, nice small towns etc.

Arizona is also popular but quality of life seems to be a problem. California is a no no from my perspective and Idaho might be a decent choice depending on what your likes and dislikes are.

Texas has a mass problem with illegals they cannot overcome and the hospitals and other needed things are suffering from the mass illegals and drugs coming into Texas.

They seem to have some jobs but I do not see that lasting long as the graphs show Texas in on he increase for rising unemployment.

Just like did during the oil boom, everyone ran to Texas for jobs and ended up losing their butts when the oil jobs left. Texas has a history of short term growth and then a strong decline. Now add in the illegals taking many of those jobs and Texas would not be my choice for quality of life for sure and if you find a decent job how long will it be there.

Texas current unemployment rate is at the highest is has been in 7 years.

Research is the key and visit the towns of your choice for several days before moving.

Good luck!
Get off of it...

First off, (In reply to the red) I've lived in Texas. I've lived in Florida. My living in Tennessee is irrelevant. I lived in Florida only 8 years ago. What you didn't tell the O.P. is that If you even ever did live in Florida, It was over 25 years ago.

The claims you made about Texas for illegals and drugs can be said in the EXACT same manner as Florida. Texas usually goes as oil goes but, unlike Florida, They didn't put all of their eggs in one basket. They also have a big citrus, cattle, and Energy industry not to mention the various other things they have.

You mention best places to live polls, Who cares ? IMHO, The best place to live is one where you can work and live cheaply. Florida housing prices are NOT dirt cheap. They are cheaper then they were 2-3 years ago but they are in no way, shape, or form dirt cheap. On the other hand, Real Estate in Texas is extremely cheap. If you want comparisons, Look on any Florida real estate website and look for a house priced at $125,000 and compare it to one in Houston, TX on Houston Real Estate - Houston Homes, Houston Home Value and Houston Relocation and tell me that Florida is dirt cheap.

Texas has two cities in the top 10 in the U.S. in population (Houston & Dallas) and Texas has no cities in the top 10 in crime stats unlike Florida where Orlando seems to be crime city USA.

I don't like getting into pissing matches with you on City-Data, especially since half the places you argue about, you've never lived in so I'll end with this...

You claim that Texas un-employment rate is at a 7 year high.

What you failed to mention, however, is that at 6.4%, Texas is the 13th lowest (under mostly unpopulated states like North and South Dakota, Montana, ect, ect ) Florida is currently at 9.3%, Texas is at a 7 year high at 6.4% and Florida is still 3% higher.

We won't even talk about the number of foreclosures, unemployment benefits paid, and amount of people on government assistance.

We don't argue Ohio with you, Why do you continue to argue Florida with people that actually know what they're talking about ?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or