Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Naples
 [Register]
Naples Collier County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-13-2009, 05:24 PM

1 posts, read 17,544 times

Advertisements

Ten years ago, I chose to relocate to Naples, Florida. I, like so many others, was immediately wowed by the wonderful subtropical weather, and natural beauty of the region. I consciously chose Naples over Florida's east coast, based on the demographic, and the relatively small population, thinking that life would be, "laid back". Literally, from the very first day I moved into town, my ideal image was shattered. I was so surprised to see how blatantly hostile the average resident was, and furthermore, how incredibly impatient most residents were. I'm not only referring to the resident wealthy, or the "snow birds", I'm talking about the average person you will run into on the street or in a store. Driving in Naples has been described as a blood sport for good reason. The road rage is serious here. I've witnessed people screaming at each other from their cars, lots of middle fingers, constant blaring horns in season, and even the occasional fight- yes, I've seen guys get out of their cars, and on one occasion, a guy even took a baseball bat out of his trunk to threaten another hostile driver in the road during rush hour. Need to merge? Forget it. Trying to get out of an establishment on a busy US 41? F-U. Do you stop at red lights before making a right turn? You'll get the horn, and probably more. Do you drive the speed limit, or slightly over? The average driver here will tale-gate you mercilessly, flash their lights, and honk, then pass you at high speed, deliberately cutting you off to make you think they are going to collide with you, glaring at you the whole time. That's the REAL Naples.

Ironically, I've had a number of relocated individuals- nearly always from the Northeast or Midwest, tell me that this place is "paradise". I cannot imagine what hell life there must be like, if this is paradise to them. Most people who have been here for more than a few years, such as myself, can attest- this is NO PARADISE! Now, to make things clear- I am a very well educated professional, I own a home here, I own a small business, and have friends in Naples. I'm connected to the community, and know first-hand the in's and out's of living here. I cannot imagine how much harder life must be for those who have a lower income. I can tell you this with the utmost honesty- you must be wealthy to live in Naples, or you will work yourself to death to have a decent lifestyle. If you serve others in a restaurant, work in a retail establishment, or provide any domestic service, God help you. The rich here love the showy display of their wealth. That alone isn't enough for many of them. They like to stare at you, glare at you, look down on you, and put you "in your place". You get fingers snapped at you, threatened in numerous ways, and generally treated as an inferior being. I have a great many friends who work in these fields, and I cannot tell you the number of horror stories. It's unreal how many of the locals behave. Of course, not everyone is so cruel, but I can attest- it is real, and very sad.

There are positive aspects to living in Naples, and it wouldn't be fair if I did not mention them. However, please realize that the positive aspects of living in Naples, Florida are primarily superficial, and not meaningful. The standard of living is extremely high. Housing is abundant, if not quite expensive. The recreational activities are abundant, however, many public marinas have disappeared, and now it's becoming increasingly difficult to launch or rent a boat. The beaches are truly beautiful, however, the surrounding waters of the Gulf of Mexico are increasingly polluted with runoff from the God knows how many golf courses and mansions with chemically treated landscapes. As a result of this environmental onslaught, the gulf beaches are not what they once were. The water is murky, and Red Tide (a condition in which marine life dies and piles up on the beaches to decay due to a toxic algae), is on the rise. The community is quite small. The population of permanent residents is unbelievably small. Check out the US Census details. Unfortunately, when tourist season arrives, the number of tourists dwarfs the local population so much, that life here becomes surreal. It's like moving to another, severely overpopulated town with an undersized infrastructure. Think, traffic jams, long commutes over short distances, and constant accidents. The sound of sirens is the prevalent ambient sound of tourist season.

There is so much more to add, but I'm curious what others think. I'd rather find out what other local residents think, but it might be interesting to contrast that with opinions of tourists. I can draw from my own experiences, and tell you right away that when I used to come here as a tourist, my impression of life in Naples was far from accurate. I'm also sure that there will be those with vastly contrasting experiences. There's always someone here who thinks this town is paradise, as I mentioned in the onset of this thread.

Old 06-13-2009, 06:08 PM

8,377 posts, read 30,901,381 times
I can't move there because some person on the internet said they have rude people there. Also I heard someone on the internet say everyone is friendly in North Carolina, so I should move there.

Old 06-13-2009, 07:06 PM

5,643 posts, read 9,660,026 times
Default Naples is just plain WEIRD

Quote:
Originally Posted by wildpalm View Post
Ten years ago, I chose to relocate to Naples, Florida. I, like so many others, was immediately wowed by the wonderful subtropical weather, and natural beauty of the region. I consciously chose Naples over Florida's east coast, based on the demographic, and the relatively small population, thinking that life would be, "laid back". Literally, from the very first day I moved into town, my ideal image was shattered. I was so surprised to see how blatantly hostile the average resident was, and furthermore, how incredibly impatient most residents were. I'm not only referring to the resident wealthy, or the "snow birds", I'm talking about the average person you will run into on the street or in a store. Driving in Naples has been described as a blood sport for good reason. The road rage is serious here. I've witnessed people screaming at each other from their cars, lots of middle fingers, constant blaring horns in season, and even the occasional fight- yes, I've seen guys get out of their cars, and on one occasion, a guy even took a baseball bat out of his trunk to threaten another hostile driver in the road during rush hour. Need to merge? Forget it. Trying to get out of an establishment on a busy US 41? F-U. Do you stop at red lights before making a right turn? You'll get the horn, and probably more. Do you drive the speed limit, or slightly over? The average driver here will tale-gate you mercilessly, flash their lights, and honk, then pass you at high speed, deliberately cutting you off to make you think they are going to collide with you, glaring at you the whole time. That's the REAL Naples.

Ironically, I've had a number of relocated individuals- nearly always from the Northeast or Midwest, tell me that this place is "paradise". I cannot imagine what hell life there must be like, if this is paradise to them. Most people who have been here for more than a few years, such as myself, can attest- this is NO PARADISE! Now, to make things clear- I am a very well educated professional, I own a home here, I own a small business, and have friends in Naples. I'm connected to the community, and know first-hand the in's and out's of living here. I cannot imagine how much harder life must be for those who have a lower income. I can tell you this with the utmost honesty- you must be wealthy to live in Naples, or you will work yourself to death to have a decent lifestyle. If you serve others in a restaurant, work in a retail establishment, or provide any domestic service, God help you. The rich here love the showy display of their wealth. That alone isn't enough for many of them. They like to stare at you, glare at you, look down on you, and put you "in your place". You get fingers snapped at you, threatened in numerous ways, and generally treated as an inferior being. I have a great many friends who work in these fields, and I cannot tell you the number of horror stories. It's unreal how many of the locals behave. Of course, not everyone is so cruel, but I can attest- it is real, and very sad.

There are positive aspects to living in Naples, and it wouldn't be fair if I did not mention them. However, please realize that the positive aspects of living in Naples, Florida are primarily superficial, and not meaningful. The standard of living is extremely high. Housing is abundant, if not quite expensive. The recreational activities are abundant, however, many public marinas have disappeared, and now it's becoming increasingly difficult to launch or rent a boat. The beaches are truly beautiful, however, the surrounding waters of the Gulf of Mexico are increasingly polluted with runoff from the God knows how many golf courses and mansions with chemically treated landscapes. As a result of this environmental onslaught, the gulf beaches are not what they once were. The water is murky, and Red Tide (a condition in which marine life dies and piles up on the beaches to decay due to a toxic algae), is on the rise. The community is quite small. The population of permanent residents is unbelievably small. Check out the US Census details. Unfortunately, when tourist season arrives, the number of tourists dwarfs the local population so much, that life here becomes surreal. It's like moving to another, severely overpopulated town with an undersized infrastructure. Think, traffic jams, long commutes over short distances, and constant accidents. The sound of sirens is the prevalent ambient sound of tourist season.

There is so much more to add, but I'm curious what others think. I'd rather find out what other local residents think, but it might be interesting to contrast that with opinions of tourists. I can draw from my own experiences, and tell you right away that when I used to come here as a tourist, my impression of life in Naples was far from accurate. I'm also sure that there will be those with vastly contrasting experiences. There's always someone here who thinks this town is paradise, as I mentioned in the onset of this thread.
I doubt there are very many places like it. In a reply to another thread, I did some research. Although Naples had 0 murders last year, I also learned that the median age in Naples is 62 years old. Think about that. The median age across the United States is 40 years old. What does this tell you?

Naples lives and breathes for OLD PEOPLE. Actually, SNOWBIRD old people to be exact. Everything revolves around SEASON. Come November you can feel it in the air. Stores are gearing up. Activities are in the making. It's SNOWBIRD time. From about November through March, it is how Naples survives ALL YEAR.

Traffic becomes a NIGHTMARE. The beaches, restaurants, hotels, stores, are packed. March starts to slow down. By April it is gone. The businesses count their money to see how much was made for this "season". Then restaurants are empty. Many shut their doors or cut back their hours. Naples becomes a ghost town in summer.

Ok, you all know my feeling about Florida, but Naples is in a category all it's own. It personifies everything anyone can possibly think when they hear old people and Florida. WHY anyone who is a young person, or a young family would want to move to Naples, of all places, is beyond me. I am sure there are PLENTY of other places in the state of Florida that would more than meet their needs. Unless you are a rich, old, snowbird, or retiree, forget Naples.

Old 06-13-2009, 07:11 PM

2,414 posts, read 5,400,759 times
Quote:
Literally, from the very first day I moved into town, my ideal image was shattered. I was so surprised to see how blatantly hostile the average resident was, and furthermore, how incredibly impatient most residents were.
I added the bold...
This is why people recommend going for at least a week and living as a local (not a vacactioner) would, before choosing to move somewhere.

Old 06-13-2009, 08:17 PM

3,418 posts, read 7,788,532 times
I'd like to know from the OP what line of work he is in.

TAN-I agree with everything you said. Everything, including the political machine, revolves around retirees, snowbirds, and tourists.

Old 06-13-2009, 08:28 PM

552 posts, read 592,517 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by compelled to reply View Post
I can't move there because some person on the internet said they have rude people there. Also I heard someone on the internet say everyone is friendly in North Carolina, so I should move there.
Yup, you've heard and read those things over and over and over again. Let me ask you something Compelled, if people say over and over and over again that people are friendlier in NC, dont you think there's some truth to it? You always say, "someone said there are rude people in S FL. Everyone is nice in NC." Well, when are you gonna say to yourself, "you know what, I've heard this 1,000 times now, gee, there might be some truth to it."

It's better to face the facts and deal with it than sweep it under the rug.

Last edited by Scientifical Madness; 06-13-2009 at 08:58 PM.. Reason: mispelling

Old 06-13-2009, 08:36 PM

552 posts, read 592,517 times
Quote:

I'm not suprised. Road rage is too common here in FL - you got a bad mix here in FL...I'm not gonna mention what that mix is, but it's just a few diffferent groups of people that drive poorly, whether it be because of where they are from, or they've just gotten their license in the US, etc...

You know what's crazy??? As I was just typing this, I overheard the news about someone shooting into a vehicle on the highway in a road rage incident... UNBELIEVABLE! Just as I was typing this, a road rage incident involving a shooting was on... that just goes to show you right there... I mean, HOW DO YOU EXPLAIN THAT, HONESTLY???

here's the link...

Deputies: Road rage leads to shooting in Volusia....."Wiener was westbound in a pickup at 3:38 p.m. when he cut off Alvarado's pickup, investigators said. That's when Alvarado pulled next to Wiener and pumped a round into the other truck, they said. The bullet pierced the driver's door and hit Wiener, who drove to a relative's house nearby and was taken by ambulance to Halifax Health Medical Center in Daytona Beach."

Deputies: Road rage leads to shooting in Volusia -- OrlandoSentinel.com (http://www.orlandosentinel.com/news/local/breakingnews/orl-bk-road-rage-shooting-volusia-061309,0,5978775.story - broken link)

Old 06-13-2009, 08:52 PM

190 posts, read 764,231 times
wildpalm
Since I joined C-D over a year ago I have read many, many threads not just Naples but all over Florida trying to decide where to move to. I, for a very short time considered Naples because of all the good things about it. I quickly changed my mind because there were so many negative reports of the populations unfriendly attitude, poor manners, horrid driving behavior and nose in the air I am better than you snobbish personalities. It is sad, is that what money does to people? I would rather be poor and have good mannerisms, caring and helpful towards others and over all happy and smiling to people. I have never read of any other area that so consistently claims the same things that you have noted of the Naples population. They must be miserable, let them have there fake paradise, cold people in a hot climate.

Old 06-13-2009, 09:46 PM

8,377 posts, read 30,901,381 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scientifical Madness View Post
I'm not suprised. Road rage is too common here in FL - you got a bad mix here in FL...I'm not gonna mention what that mix is, but it's just a few diffferent groups of people that drive poorly, whether it be because of where they are from, or they've just gotten their license in the US, etc...
Yes, tons of New Yorkers and Hispanics in Naples after all. And Native Floridians all drive wonderfully and are moving to North Carolina where everyone is friendly because MULTIPLE people on the internet said everyone is friendly there. Also, illegal Mexicans are OK as long as they live in North Carolina where they are friendly and build cheap homes for hoards of malcontents.

Anyway, not sure what origin or south(east) Fl has to do with this thread, so back to the OP, your original expectations seemed extremely high. This tends to lead to disappointment.

Old 06-14-2009, 01:13 AM

191 posts, read 665,821 times
I almost closed on a home in Naples last month. Swayed buy the status of having a Naples zip code.....lol.because Naples is well you know much better than the rest of florida. Thank God I backed out after being lyied to buy the realtor who claimed of course its Safe in GG estates. Just a few grow houses which didnt phaze me. Dont buy in Lehigh or the Cape I was told. Got me a deal 50k off asking on a new home. Than I saw the real story. Crime. Lots of it and a police force who didnt seem to be able to control it. Maybe the people in the Estates were not rich enough. Maybe crime is just too rampent and why is it so different to be in a Naples zip code if your basically in just as rural as place a Lehigh and the police are no better. I was REALLY surprised with what I saw . I didnt find anyone mean or snoby but I am sure they could be. That how most rich Jewish people are from new england. They have a certain sence of privelage. I guess I can be that way at times and I think it gets ingrained early in life. I see it but I hate it. I sure hope I meet some normal agerage people when I mover there. Not everyone can be like that in all of Florida. Right?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Naples