Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-10-2009, 07:12 AM

13,258 posts, read 22,836,872 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by daytonadewd View Post
Remember that the issue for evacuation is NOT survival of the storm, but rather the aftermath! (Even if your home falls apart, or not, and you survive the storm, what about not having power for several months afterwards at the peak of summer temperatures? Your garbage may not be collected for months in your neighborhood and rats will infest. Leaving your french doors open at night during this time "seems" like a good idea. What if there's also looters on top of it? Zillions of people need repairs/supplies at once. Do you really think they can attend to yours and get supplies quickly with such demands?)
So where's the eye-rolling smiley at the over-hyping and exaggeration?

We sheltered in place for Ivan. It sucked in some ways. Hurricanes just do. But the debris trucks were hauling away dead trees and other waste within about four days after the storm with nary a rat in sight. Granted we were in the freak neighborhood that never lost power, but 80%+ of the people I know had electricity back within a week. Linemen from every state and province east of the Mississippi work dawn to dark in order to rebuild the power grid after a storm.

Looters were pretty rare, and I can't think of an incident tha was an actual home invasion. They generally go after the easy, low risk homes, which translates to vacant homes where they don't have to worry about a homeowner with a gun.

The repair chain is a problem. I knew roofers who were running crews seven days a week and had a six month waiting list of clients. But as long as another storm doesn't come through, blue tarp roofs and other temporary repairs are generally adequate until permanent fixes can happen.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-10-2009, 09:53 AM

151 posts, read 713,909 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by daytonadewd View Post
OK, so you're building a home to withstand hurricanes, have a power generator, etc. Very self-sufficient 4 U.

WHERE DO YOU BUY YOUR FOOD, PRESCRIPTIONS AND HOME REPAIR MATERIALS AFTER THE STORM IN THIS RURAL AREA THAT YOU CAN AFFORD? IS YOUR EXPECTATION THAT YOU'LL BE ABLE TO GET THESE SUPPLIES STRAIGHT AWAY? What about your daily MAIL/Deliveries in such a ravaged area? (GOOD LUCK!)

The homes MIGHT be cheaper, but NOT necessarily the TAXES!
I think it would be like I do now since I already stock up food and supplies. I also have no use for mail since all my bills are paid online. As for taxes I am using the Tax Foundation to search for the lowest property tax counties
The Tax Foundation - Property Tax on Owner-Occupied Housing, by County, Ranked by Property Taxes Paid*, 2005-2007 Average

My county, Rockland in NY is ranked #7 highest in the nation. Where as
Hardee County ranks #1438
Desoto County #1318
Manatee #463
Collier County #302
Lee County #303
Sarasota #370

Back in the late 90s in Rockland county homes I was looking at were in the 120k-150k range with taxes around 2k range. These same homes are still hovering between 350k - 500k with taxes now around 10k. I had considered Putnam County (now ranked #11) back then for the ruralness and lower taxes that were around $1500. But I am seeing tax rates up there around $15000 now. (The tax foundation numbers are averages).

The taxes are really just crazy up here. But if I buy a house in Lee County for 100k my taxes would be around $2000. If I brought the same size house up here it would cost 500k and my taxes around 10k. So this really is a no brainer.

Of course my concern would be the same tax creep we had up here after 10 years with the continuing advance in this country of big government. My other choice was therefore Arkansas which tends to lean more fiscally Conservative therefore delaying that advance. But the weather is not as nice there and no beaches, so my preference is Florida.

Old 07-10-2009, 10:05 AM

26,585 posts, read 62,038,899 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jpicard View Post
I think it would be like I do now since I already stock up food and supplies. I also have no use for mail since all my bills are paid online. As for taxes I am using the Tax Foundation to search for the lowest property tax counties
The Tax Foundation - Property Tax on Owner-Occupied Housing, by County, Ranked by Property Taxes Paid*, 2005-2007 Average

My county, Rockland in NY is ranked #7 highest in the nation. Where as
Hardee County ranks #1438
Desoto County #1318
Manatee #463
Collier County #302
Lee County #303
Sarasota #370

Back in the late 90s in Rockland county homes I was looking at were in the 120k-150k range with taxes around 2k range. These same homes are still hovering between 350k - 500k with taxes now around 10k. I had considered Putnam County (now ranked #11) back then for the ruralness and lower taxes that were around $1500. But I am seeing tax rates up there around $15000 now. (The tax foundation numbers are averages).

The taxes are really just crazy up here. But if I buy a house in Lee County for 100k my taxes would be around $2000. If I brought the same size house up here it would cost 500k and my taxes around 10k. So this really is a no brainer.

Of course my concern would be the same tax creep we had up here after 10 years with the continuing advance in this country of big government. My other choice was therefore Arkansas which tends to lean more fiscally Conservative therefore delaying that advance. But the weather is not as nice there and no beaches, so my preference is Florida.

All well and good, but you and (the Tax Foundation) obviously don't understand how Save Our Homes has affected tax rates for purchases in this state. Do a little more research, my guess is that you'll end up paying at least double what you think you will for that house.

That web site takes into consideration mobile homes worth $30K on a 25x50 sliver of property, as well as houes bought back in 1973 for $17K that are now worth $300K, but because of Save Our Homes they are only paying $600 a year in taxes. That web site is NOT giving the true picture.

Old 07-10-2009, 10:29 AM

17,534 posts, read 39,126,512 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by annerk View Post
All well and good, but you and (the Tax Foundation) obviously don't understand how Save Our Homes has affected tax rates for purchases in this state. Do a little more research, my guess is that you'll end up paying at least double what you think you will for that house.

That web site takes into consideration mobile homes worth $30K on a 25x50 sliver of property, as well as houes bought back in 1973 for $17K that are now worth $300K, but because of Save Our Homes they are only paying $600 a year in taxes. That web site is NOT giving the true picture.
By the same token, taxes have dropped dramatically since that time frame (2005-2007) as well. I think it's still a reasonable gauge of overall taxes, as far as which counties are higher - I don't think that changes.

Old 07-10-2009, 11:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gypsychic View Post
By the same token, taxes have dropped dramatically since that time frame (2005-2007) as well. I think it's still a reasonable gauge of overall taxes, as far as which counties are higher - I don't think that changes.
HA! Dramatic drop?. My taxes have gone down, about $400 on a $10K bill. Less than 5% is hardly a noticable tax drop.

Old 07-10-2009, 11:06 AM

17,534 posts, read 39,126,512 times
Quote:
HA! Dramatic drop?. My taxes have gone down, about $400 on a $10K bill. Less than 5% is hardly a noticable tax drop.
Well, they dropped almost $1,000 for me - almost 1/3.

Old 07-10-2009, 01:11 PM

Quote:

Then what am I missing since I am looking at homes in MLS and they are showing taxes in the $1500 - $2000 range in those counties? This is still significantly less than the 8000k-12000k here in NY.

Old 07-10-2009, 01:52 PM

Quote:
Then what am I missing since I am looking at homes in MLS and they are showing taxes in the $1500 - $2000 range in those counties? This is still significantly less than the 8000k-12000k here in NY.
If the person who owns the home has lived there for a long time and filed homestead exemptions 15 years ago, it's very possible that you'll see the taxes rise 200-500% once the property changes hands.

Old 07-10-2009, 02:54 PM

Quote:
If the person who owns the home has lived there for a long time and filed homestead exemptions 15 years ago, it's very possible that you'll see the taxes rise 200-500% once the property changes hands.
Good point. So instead I should look at the property value and the county millage rate. For example a home of $125,000 x Hardee County’s ..00544200 Millage Rate = $620.25.

Are there other property taxes like school and township taxes to add to that?

Old 07-10-2009, 03:05 PM

Quote:
Good point. So instead I should look at the property value and the county millage rate. For example a home of $125,000 x Hardee County’s ..00544200 Millage Rate = $620.25.

Are there other property taxes like school and township taxes to add to that?
I get beaned for schools (more than the millage!), hospital, and a couple of other smaller things.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida