U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-10-2009, 06:19 PM

499 posts, read 1,595,277 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpicard View Post
I think it would be like I do now since I already stock up food and supplies. I also have no use for mail since all my bills are paid online. As for taxes I am using the Tax Foundation to search for the lowest property tax counties
The Tax Foundation - Property Tax on Owner-Occupied Housing, by County, Ranked by Property Taxes Paid*, 2005-2007 Average

My county, Rockland in NY is ranked #7 highest in the nation. Where as
Hardee County ranks #1438
Desoto County #1318
Manatee #463
Collier County #302
Lee County #303
Sarasota #370

Back in the late 90s in Rockland county homes I was looking at were in the 120k-150k range with taxes around 2k range. These same homes are still hovering between 350k - 500k with taxes now around 10k. I had considered Putnam County (now ranked #11) back then for the ruralness and lower taxes that were around $1500. But I am seeing tax rates up there around $15000 now. (The tax foundation numbers are averages).

The taxes are really just crazy up here. But if I buy a house in Lee County for 100k my taxes would be around $2000. If I brought the same size house up here it would cost 500k and my taxes around 10k. So this really is a no brainer.

Of course my concern would be the same tax creep we had up here after 10 years with the continuing advance in this country of big government. My other choice was therefore Arkansas which tends to lean more fiscally Conservative therefore delaying that advance. But the weather is not as nice there and no beaches, so my preference is Florida.
K. Fair enough. Doesn't NY have "homestead exemption?" (Florida does which caps your annual rate hike)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-10-2009, 06:24 PM

499 posts, read 1,595,277 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beachmouse View Post
So where's the eye-rolling smiley at the over-hyping and exaggeration?
So are you just slumming for a stand-up audience or just trolling?

Also, when you go through a Cat 5 like I have, just let me know how that goes 4 U!

Old 07-10-2009, 06:27 PM

26,590 posts, read 54,456,308 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by daytonadewd View Post
K. Fair enough. Doesn't NY have "homestead exemption?" (Florida does which caps your annual rate hike)
They didn't when I lived there.

Old 07-10-2009, 08:10 PM

7,647 posts, read 16,029,989 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by daytonadewd View Post
So are you just slumming for a stand-up audience or just trolling?

Also, when you go through a Cat 5 like I have, just let me know how that goes 4 U!
Cat 5 would have to be either Andrew or Camile, and I'm guessing Andrew, which caused a massive reorginizaton of how the state of Florida handles hurricanes. The state actually learned a lot from that mess and really significantly improved its emergency operations to the point where they're infinitely better than they were in 1992. I was very impressed with the state's responsiveness to issues involving Ivan and Dennis, especially when compared to how much MS and LA thoroughly botched Katrina response a short time later. (First responders on the ground for Katrina in a lot of MS actually ended up being the Florida National Guard instead of the locals)

It's one of about four things that state government actually does surprisingly well.

Old 07-16-2009, 10:09 AM

151 posts, read 648,955 times
So I have an idea of some rural areas. I should mention I am considering homesteading so looking to do som farming on a few acres. With that added requirement what areas can I find the best soil? This seems like a challenge since everything I look at seems to be very sandy.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or