Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-30-2009, 09:18 AM

5,643 posts, read 9,654,155 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by doggiebus View Post
Florida isn't perfect for everyone. There are people that love the 8 months of heat and humidity some parts of the state get. Then there are people that just hate it. Just because someone hates the heat and humidity doesn't mean they automatically should leave the state. There are many reasons people stay where they are. Just remember that EVERYONE is entitled to their opinion, even if you feel differently. This is a great thread for everyone to voice their opinions about the heat and humidity in Florida. So lets respect one anothers views, just like we would like our opinions respected.

I personally don't really care for the weather in South Florida. I am trying to move north or west to have cooler year round temps. I hate that I live indoors most of the year (like those up north do) running from a/c to a/c. I wish I could live in a place that I could leave the windows and doors open. Or I could get out and play some tennis with out almost passing out most of the year. But I understand that I live in South Florida, its warm most of the year, and for me its just not possible to get out side with out over heating (I am not over weight, I just can't take the heat, always been like this since a child) and getting a headache. But then their are people like my mom, that came from northern europe and can work out in the yard in 90 degree weather and are fine. But me who grew up in Florida, I can't stay out in it for to long, I guess I will never get used to the heat and humidity, and soo the heat and humidity is one of the reasons why we are leaving Florida, hopefully sooner than later. This is just my experience. Doesn't make me right or wrong, but just my experience living in South Florida with the heat and humidity.
Will be the final judge of this. Personally, of all the retirees I have know North Carolina has been the top point. They all bypassed Florida entirely. In fact, I have know people, not just retirees, who have moved from NY to Pa. (ones who don't mind the cold) to a cheaper cost of living, yet still be close enough to their families on a regular basis.

We have just been trying to sort out getting together for the Holidays. I don't like not being with my kids for them. What we have found is that the fares are a LOT cheaper to go from Florida to NY round trip than the other way around. What am I talking about? $84 verus $300 one way. Maybe that is a sign. I am meant to go there instead of them coming to Florida.

As some people have said about the cold, I hibernate all year in Florida. It really stinks to be a prisoner in your own home. Think how you feel up North. I AC on all but maybe 2 months. Back home, I used NOTHING from August through November when I sometimes put heat on. Then about April through August, again NOTHING. I just opened windows, or closed windows. It was so nice having cool FRESH AIR, rather than artifical AC.

Anyway, that is my piece. See what the census has to say. Times change and the Boomer Generation are not our parents. Think about that.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-30-2009, 09:28 AM

3,225 posts, read 8,570,229 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TANaples View Post
What we have found is that the fares are a LOT cheaper to go from Florida to NY round trip than the other way around. What am I talking about? $84 verus $300 one way. Maybe that is a sign. I am meant to go there instead of them coming to Florida.
Hey TAN, I'm surprised at you looking for a sign to exit Florida!!!! Are you second-guessing yourself now?!

Old 08-30-2009, 09:34 AM

2,185 posts, read 5,011,721 times
Come to the Texas forums, most transplants complain about the heat and humidity. I am a transplant and hate it! Florida is not as hot as Texas, but you might beat us in the humidity dept, but only just barely.

My brother lived in florida for years and loved it, just got to expensive for him. He came to stay with me for a month and couldn't cope with the heat. lol he now lives in Colorado and prefer the climate.

Old 08-31-2009, 08:21 PM

267 posts, read 806,308 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stan1977 View Post
I dont know why people have to complain about the heat? I wish I lived in FL. In a year or 2 I plan on moving to the Winter Haven area. People that dont like the heat should come up here to PA, we didnt even have a summer this year. It didnt get muggy till the end of July. All it did was rain. Now it is already gonna be September, the cold is just around the corner. It is cold here form Nov to at least mid April. The warm weather here only lasts from May till maybe the end of September. So be happy that you at least get to enjoy the warm weather all year round, I would love to wake up everyday not ever having to worry about snow and ice ever and the temperatures in Jan when the high doesnt reach above freezing for weeks at a time, I would take the heat and humidity over that any day. This is just my opionion. I hate the cold.
You don't know why people have to complain because you aren't here. Seriously, what you are talking about are 2 very serious extremes. That's why there are so many "half-backs". People just like you who detested the winter and cold and barely a month or two of warm sunny weather move to Florida for the winters they dream about...like FL in January or February. What you and many others don't understand is you are just trading one extreme for the other.

Myself, I'm only a couple of months (hopefully) away from joining the ranks of half-backs. Started in PA, moved to FL been here 31 years, and now I'm going half way back to the Asheville area, where there are no extremes, with mild summers and mild winters. They only get a few inches of snow each year with most of their winters being very mild, and they haven't had a 90 degree day all summer. Now THAT is my kind of heaven...

Old 09-01-2009, 09:24 PM

1,978 posts, read 4,405,202 times
I am trading in a moderate for an extreme. I am extreme.

Old 09-02-2009, 08:10 PM

22 posts, read 94,874 times
Most of us who grew in Fl in the '50's and '60's didn't have air conditioning . I remember when our home AC was installed in the late '50's. Schools and most cars still lacked AC.
How did we ever survive those hot, humid nights? We didn't know any different and was just too young I suppose. Just when you got accustom to the hot, humid nights, the mosquitos came to pay you a visit. When the buzzing stopped, the biting started. How I hated those summer nights in Tampa.

I work outside in the heat and humidy everyday, some days I beat the heat, and some days it beats me. Some people will never get used the the Fl heat. My wife is one of those individuals, but she don't like the cold either. Thats after 39 yrs in FL.

Old 09-03-2009, 06:34 AM

3,199 posts, read 7,823,988 times
I feel for people who work outside in any extreme condition. I am from MI now in FL but we have 7 months of winter. I mean snow flurries can start in Oct sometimes be in April. I think last year there were inches in April. In between those months we can get 10 inches in a day. That takes a toll after awhile. If it snows 7 inches one still is expected to be at work. So waking early to shovel,to sit in traffic,and arrive late to repeat on the way home. Can take 2 hours plus for a 30 min ride. Some truly don't mind. I do feel in general some bodies are more sensitive then others to climate. I have a nerve condition aka why I am in FL cause winter is so painful for me. Even if it is not super painful have bodies that are more sensitive to one type of weather then another.

Old 09-03-2009, 08:19 PM

448 posts, read 1,470,556 times
Hey, we did a bunch of stuff in the yard today and boy did we sweat But it was awesome to take a jump in the pool after the fact. And guess what we will be doing the same thing while our friends/family are shoveling in OH/PA

Old 09-03-2009, 09:03 PM

18,949 posts, read 43,571,506 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TANaples View Post
Personally, of all the retirees I have know North Carolina has been the top point.
Most of North Carolina is just as hot and humid, the only exception would be in the extreme west end of the state.

Old 09-04-2009, 04:46 AM

5,643 posts, read 9,654,155 times
Default Maybe

Quote:
Originally Posted by southernnaturelover View Post
Most of North Carolina is just as hot and humid, the only exception would be in the extreme west end of the state.
but they still get a Fall and Winter. It is also much closer to the NE for those who have family there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida