U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-19-2009, 09:45 AM

4,678 posts, read 8,490,688 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by OrlandoRE_Miracle View Post
Or just pay a little bit of money to get tint. But why do that when it gets in the way of your misery?
Minnimum wage workers can't afford tint.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-19-2009, 09:47 AM

5,642 posts, read 7,940,083 times
Default That was meant as sarcasm

Quote:
Originally Posted by OrlandoRE_Miracle View Post
Or just pay a little bit of money to get tint. But why do that when it gets in the way of your misery?
It was meant to be funny. I guess you just don't understand sarcasm. It is something taken to the extreme in humor.

Old 06-19-2009, 09:58 AM

479 posts, read 1,306,995 times
Hey, everybody complains about their weather once in a while -- or every day. It's either too cold, too hot, too wet, too dry or something else. So what if we complain? That's probably why a/c was invented, especially since people have historically cut down every tree they could find and paved every cleared spot on the planet.

If we had a normal amount of trees, vacant land, grass, etc. it probably wouldn't feel as hot. When I first moved to Florida (over 30 years ago), I went without a/c for an extended period. Sometimes it wasn't exactly comfortable, but it was bearable with a fan. And people weren't afraid to leave their windows open 24 hours a day.

And part of it is growing older. Some of us become less tolerant of the suffocating heat as we age. (Don't complain about old folks, now...you'll be there too!)

Old 06-19-2009, 10:18 AM

3,225 posts, read 7,658,355 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lakeland Yankee View Post
You are saying that the heat and humidity are not bad all the while running an air conditioning unit nonstop everywhere you go, lol.

TURN OFF YOUR AC for a couple weeks (during the summer) and then say the heat and humidity are not bad.

Anyways, thanks for the chuckle logybogy. People who truly like heat and humidity do not run air conditioners nonstop.
Hey Lakeland, one can also argue that most people up north who find the winters tolerable would think otherwise if their homes and offices weren't supplied with adequate amounts of heat!!!!!

Old 06-19-2009, 10:31 AM

825 posts, read 1,015,379 times
Quote:
Hey Lakeland, one can also argue that most people up north who find the winters tolerable would think otherwise if their homes and offices weren't supplied with adequate amounts of heat!!!!!
lol, exactly!

That's my point to all the complainers. Why complain? Just go inside to a 72 degree environment or do activities in the mornings or evenings.

And I have no problem with heat and humidity as long as I have the comforts of a 2009 lifestyle. Would I have chose to move to Floirda in the early 1900's when it was just mangrove swamps and gators?

Probably not.

Old 06-19-2009, 03:01 PM

I had a conversation with another poster on another thread who apparently was about the same age as me. We both agreed that whatever tolerance you have a a CHILD, be that for heat or cold, will only intensify as you get older. This poster told me that even as a young child she could not tolerate the cold and that as she had aged it had only intensified. I said to her that although I had the opposite reaction, I
did agree that whatever your personal body chemistry was as a CHILD, it only intensified as a Senior. It was not an automatic thing that ALL older adults disliked the cold, only those that couldn't tolerate it as children.

I cannot speak for her experiences with cold as a child, but I can state mine. I detested summers, being outside in the heat, and at the beach. There is not one single picture of me as a young child at the beach where I am not crying my eyes out. I hated it. I did not like being in the sun, the heat, the sand, and the icky water. Fortunately, my Mom agreed with me and we stopped going. My parents instead sent me to camp as a kid in the MOUNTAINS. Although the days in the summers we still pretty hot as soon as the sun went down, it could get into the 40s. Mountains lakes are hardly tropical beaches, but I had no objections to them. I would willingly go in the lake at dusk when other campers and counselors resfused to go in. I can remember many a night at camp as a kid where the other campers and counselor were sitting at the fire in parkas and jeans when I only wearing a sweatshirt and shorts. I loved camp in the mountains. I would have been crying my eyes out as a kid being at some tropical beach camp.

Again, it is your own personal body chemistry that dicates what you like. I knew at the age of 22 when I first moved to Florida, again not for the WEATHER, that it was not for me because of my personal preference for cold. I did not move here this time as a SENIOR because I wanted to escape the cold. I suppose that is any anomoly for Florida. Somebody who DOESNT move here for the weather. I/we will leave here as soon as we can retire. Even my husband, who seems to have a mid range tolerance (majority) for heat and cold, has found out that Florida is not all the myth is cracked up to be. We WILL move, but we cannot just yet. In the meantime, I will just hibernate as much as I possibly can; YEAR ROUND.

Old 06-19-2009, 05:02 PM

14,939 posts, read 10,208,222 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TANaples View Post
It was meant to be funny. I guess you just don't understand sarcasm. It is something taken to the extreme in humor.

Or .. buy one of those folding windshield coverings that sits on the dash from the Dollar Store.

Yes Tan, my car is extremely hot after working 8 hours and do burn my hands on the steering wheel.
I expect it each day as I'm accustomed to Florida.

What was your point?

Old 06-19-2009, 09:48 PM

31,007 posts, read 19,488,479 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moderate Guy View Post
I hear ya on this...wish the lovely ladies would take heed of your wise advice re: shorts and no tops!!!!!!!!
Moderator cut: Deleted Image

Last edited by doggiebus; 06-21-2009 at 07:47 AM..

Old 06-19-2009, 10:01 PM

31,007 posts, read 19,488,479 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mango23 View Post
The most bizarre thing is, they complain after moving here.
Where exactly did they think they were moving? They made, at least for them, a bad decision and want us to feel guilty about it because they are not happy in Florida. Who cares, I like it here. Florida is like a tropical island with all the amenities. Fishing, boating, diving, water sking. A tropical climate year round. If someone didn't know what the weather was here before they moved here, tough. People are always wanting to blame someone else for their bad decisions. No one is asking them to love Florida, just get the he!! out of here if they are not happy but leave us to the life we enjoy. Is that too much to ask?
Go out and enjoy your Florida weather then instead of reading posts about it and getting worked up.

Old 06-20-2009, 05:56 AM

Default That is exactly what

Quote:
Originally Posted by TNRyan23 View Post
I wish I were in Florida today...

The Heat Index for Nashville today is 105 degrees...
the heat index has been in Naples for at least the past week.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or