U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-04-2009, 02:11 PM

1,287 posts, read 2,513,152 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TANaples View Post
but they still get a Fall and Winter.
Which is more than enough reason for those of us who hate the winter to cross the state off our lists.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-04-2009, 02:26 PM

267 posts, read 711,703 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southernnaturelover View Post
Most of North Carolina is just as hot and humid, the only exception would be in the extreme west end of the state.
And that exception is the exact reason my family will be moving to the Asheville area...an area that had a total of ZERO 90 degree days this summer. My lord...I can't wait...

Old 09-04-2009, 03:50 PM

5,642 posts, read 7,942,516 times
Default you are the minority

Quote:
Originally Posted by KathyA11 View Post
Which is more than enough reason for those of us who hate the winter to cross the state off our lists.
Besides NC, the other place people I knew retired to was Pa. Some of my daughter's friends from HS, and younger people I worked with, also moved there. They certainly cannot care much about snow and cold weather to move from the NY Metro area to a place which is probably MORE extreme in the winters.

Cheaper cost of living was the main reason. The ones who weren't retired found work there too.

Old 09-04-2009, 03:55 PM

Quote:
Besides NC, the other place people I knew retired to was Pa. Some of my daughter's friends from HS, and younger people I worked with, also moved there. They certainly cannot care much about snow and cold weather to move from the NY Metro area to a place which is probably MORE extreme in the winters.
And this means precisely what to me?

When are you going to realize that many of us Do. Not. Like. The. Cold????

I don't care where your friends and kids' friends moved to. What I do care about is my quality of life -- and moving from the NYC area to a place that has longer and harder winters will not enhance the quality of life for either myself or my husband.

Old 09-04-2009, 04:15 PM

Default As I said, you will see

Quote:
And this means precisely what to me?

When are you going to realize that many of us Do. Not. Like. The. Cold????

I don't care where your friends and kids' friends moved to. What I do care about is my quality of life -- and moving from the NYC area to a place that has longer and harder winters will not enhance the quality of life for either myself or my husband.
People are leaving and not moving here. Because of this, they are raising everything. Of course they cannot institute an income tax, but they will find ways to make up the difference. Like our drivers license fees and car registration fees just about DOUBLED now. $48 for a driver's license. If I remember correctly that is what it was in NY. Hmmm.

Enjoy your sunshine. You will PAY for it.

Old 09-04-2009, 04:22 PM

1,141 posts, read 3,146,462 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southernnaturelover View Post
Most of North Carolina is just as hot and humid, the only exception would be in the extreme west end of the state.
True, and even they get hot and humid. This was a cool summer for all of NC and SC. Actually July was the coolest July ever on record. We did not hit 100 degrees anywhere. Very rare.

Only thing I can say about the supposed shangrila of NC, check out the new taxes going into affect. Your first set of license plates will be around 300.00 ( you have to pay a "one time" highway useage fee, and a few weeks later you'll get your personal property tax bill on your car. You get the personal property tax bill on your car every year, so it basically makes getting license plates for your car anywhere from 80 to 450 dollars a year.

Whoever thinks NC, is cheap to live in is mistaken. It's the highest taxed state in the entire SE US, and new taxes coming in. Food is extremely high, and Charlotte itself has above normal medical costs. I did a comparison on Charlotte vs Tampa...Charlotte was higher.

I personally think sales tax of 8.5 % and 9.5% (if you go to a restaurant) are extremely high, especially with school systems in crisis / underperforming(hundreds of teacher lay offs in Charlotte alone) crime etc. NC is known for having one of the worst judical systems in the country...cripes even Nancy Grace blasted the state. One of the highest gas taxes and on it goes. If they gave something back it would be one thing, but they don't. No one can figure out where the heck the $$ is going. No one. And the other counties really get the short end of the stick.

But, if one does want 4 seasons, yes Asheville has them. But it's not as cheap as everyone thinks it is in NC. I gasp everytime I look at my paycheck and see how much state tax they take. But I'm sure the home insurance will be signifcantly cheaper. Least on that side of the state. Other side of the state it's as much as Florida's is.

One thing about their sales tax being so high? All the bordering states are going to be getting lots of business from North Carolinians. SC is licking their chops since Charlotte is a mere 2 miles away....lots of people lots of business.

So for whatever you think you may save, you will also probably have more expenses in other areas. You're just not going to go to NC and live on the cheap, and it's more expensive every day. Tax happy state. Me? I'd go to SC over NC in a heart beat..there you save $$$ and SC has communities by the mountains as well.

Old 09-04-2009, 04:24 PM

Quote:
People are leaving and not moving here. Because of this, they are raising everything. Of course they cannot institute an income tax, but they will find ways to make up the difference. Like our drivers license fees and car registration fees just about DOUBLED now. $48 for a driver's license. If I remember correctly that is what it was in NY. Hmmm.

Enjoy your sunshine. You will PAY for it.
It's a lot better than paying for the snow and cold -- which you don't seem to understand, no matter how many times it's explained to you.

And do you think registrations and licenses are cheap in NJ?

Our property tax on the house in Florida is a THIRD of what we pay now -- on a piece of property nearly ten times the size, with a house that's three times the size of what we have now -- with lower property insurance! Now, if that's paying for it -- bring it on!

Old 09-04-2009, 04:33 PM

Quote:
It's a lot better than paying for the snow and cold -- which you don't seem to understand, no matter how many times it's explained to you.

Our property tax on the house in Florida is a THIRD of what we pay now -- on a piece of property nearly ten times the size, with a house that's three times the size of what we have now -- with lower property insurance! Now, if that's paying for it -- bring it on!
I have 5 feet between my neighbors property and mine. I can hear them talking, smell what they are eating, etc., etc. I had half an acre in NY with 3 times the size of the house; not to mention better schools (I work in Florida schoolsand know what they are like), sense of community, and LARGER PAYCHECKS. Yes, even WITH no income tax in Florida, my paychecks were larger in NY. Plus, you cannot put a price tag on being NEAR your kids. Nothing can compensate for that.

To each his own. As I said on another post, I would rather go into foreclosure and rent in Section 8 housing, if I can have my 4 seasons and see my grandkids grow up. Living "the good life" cannot buy me those 2 things.

Old 09-04-2009, 04:39 PM

3,225 posts, read 7,659,628 times
Quote:

Kathy, I do sincerely hope that you get your dreams materialized to relocate to beautiful, sunny Florida. Do not seek validation for what is your very own personal preference, your own wishes for the good life, from all the posters aboard...for as you see, we are a varied bunch here. And yes, Kathy, millions like you HATE the cold, winter, snow and choose to live in California, Florida, Arizona, Louisiana, and such other states. Many Americans have never personally seen snow. What's good for one is bad for another.

Every part of our blessed country has pluses and minuses. You go for your dreams and reach out until you attain them. You'll find people from every corner of the planet and of the USA down there in Florida feeling the way you do!

Old 09-04-2009, 05:08 PM

7,648 posts, read 16,033,018 times
Quote:

Cheaper cost of living was the main reason. The ones who weren't retired found work there too.
My BIL is in Pennsylvania about an hour east of Pittsburgh. Salary is about the same what the mister mouse has down here, though mister mouse has a higher course load. Cost of living is not bad- housing is somewhat cheaper, but they pay way higher taxes than what we pay down here.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or