Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-08-2006, 08:52 AM

5 posts, read 16,043 times

Advertisements

Hello. I am moving from Brooklyn (originally from NJ) to Miami Beach because my boyfriend's job got transferred. We found an apartment on Byron Ave and 82nd street that we like and could afford. We made sure to walk around the neighborhood for a while to make sure it wasn't blatently awful (you figure out to do that living in Brooklyn!) and it seemed okay. Not ghetto. Can anyone tell me what I should expect as in safety in this area? I spoke at length to my new neighbor and he said it isn't the 'greatest' neighborhood, but that I should be fine (small female) walking home from the bus at night by myself. He mentioned he doesn't think twice about walking to the ocean at 3:00am with his gf. He did seem to like to spend most of his time in Surfside, though.
Also, I saw some dead Palmettos (in Brooklyn we call them water bugs and they're actually a bit bigger there) and he said we have an exterminator and you may see one a month. I plan on going all out with steel wool, caulk and roach spray because I really hate waterbugs! It really helped in Brooklyn and I figure pair that with the exterminator and I should be okay. Can anyone tell me any hints on how they deal with the many bugs in Fl? Also, I got eaten alive by mosquitos - any tips?
Thanks for reading this. I think the neighborhood seems good and diverse and energetic, which I like. As a white girl, I've gotten use to being the minority for the last two years, but more because of a large Asian population. Here it seems more Latin? Anyway, thanks for any advice you can give me. I look forward to being a newbie in Miami!
Melody
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-08-2006, 12:00 PM

1,130 posts, read 1,565,427 times
Hi Princessmelody,
Well, you know you just have to be careful no matter where you live now.
The Miami area is largely hispanic. It depends on which part of town you are in.

As far as the bugs, I am in SW Florida and we have the palmettos but don't see them too much. They hide under the mulch outside or old wood.
I use an exterminator once and a while and haven't had any problems.
The mosquitos are now out in numbers. Just use something on your skin that will repel them and you will be ok!
Welcome to Florida

Old 07-08-2006, 01:40 PM

13,495 posts, read 37,384,632 times
Princess, I'm so happy for you. You can feel your happiness and excitement through your post. I don't live in Fla, but I do have a hint for anyone wanting to keep mosquitoes away. You may want to use clear baby oil. I know~it's greasy, but you can shower if off and enough of it stays on to keep the bugs at bay. I use it for suntanning and I'm rarely bothered by bugs. Good luck to you in your move.

Old 07-08-2006, 02:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jammie
Princess, I'm so happy for you. You can feel your happiness and excitement through your post. I don't live in Fla, but I do have a hint for anyone wanting to keep mosquitoes away. You may want to use clear baby oil. I know~it's greasy, but you can shower if off and enough of it stays on to keep the bugs at bay. I use it for suntanning and I'm rarely bothered by bugs. Good luck to you in your move.
That is a good tip Jamie,
I think I am gonna try that!

Old 07-08-2006, 03:16 PM

Default Thanks!

Thanks to everyone so far! I really am excited, I'm glad it shows through! I will definetly try the baby oil and its good to know that in South West Fl. you don't see many palmettos....hope I have the same luck!
Keep that good news coming...thank you.
Melody

Old 07-08-2006, 07:35 PM

glad to help you Melody.

Old 07-09-2006, 01:20 AM

1,316 posts, read 5,782,164 times
Welcome to FL! Born in Brooklyn too! I lived in Miami Beach for 11 years (still work there) & loved it! Wish we could afford a house there...Oh well... But yes you can walk around at all hours! Just keep your NY "radar" on at all times. That area is less safe than say mid-beach (41st St area) because of all the million$ homes/condos there, & SoBe because it has more people around at all times. I don't like NoBe (71st St area) because there a lot of teenage "gangsta" types but it's better going up toward Surfside where you are. I would suggest renting in the mid-beach or Surfside area, (might be too $) but I work with someone who rents where you will be (white New England couple) & they love it! You can walk to the beach, busses run all night... Miami Beach is the perfect place! (Especially coming from NY) Enjoy!

Old 07-10-2006, 01:04 PM

Default Thanks!

I was kind of hoping that having that 'nyc radar' might help in this situation. I feel like maybe coming from somewhere with a higher crime index that is much more urbanized than Miami Beach (not that Brooklyn isn't nice - never had anything bad happen to me!) it may be easier for me to have a smooth transition. As long as there isn't a major gang issue (didn't see any of that) or massive street violence (didn't see that either) the beach will keep me happy!
The thing I AM concerned about is these rumors of spiders with 5" long legs that are hairy and get in the houses!! Are you kidding me? My boyfriend is terrified of spiders! Augh! Reassure me, please, or at least be gentle with the bad news....

Old 07-10-2006, 07:26 PM

1,316 posts, read 5,782,164 times
I don't recall seeing spiders that large on the Beach. In our yard here in Miami yes. I happen to LOVE spiders!!! It's so fascinating how they weave those webs! It's kind of like a metaphor for the universe - you see the spider, but can't see the whole picture... Aaaanyway ,there are lote of little guys, but nobody's scared of those, are they? Remember, they are very beneficial (as is EVERY living thing -I guess this includes mosquitos too?! ) so please don't harm them! Hopefully you won't encounter each other too much though, for your sake and theirs!

Old 07-10-2006, 07:52 PM

Default Oh, they're fascinating, all right!

But more on a "Discovery Channel" level! Don't worry, I'm a Buddhist, so no killing from me! Not to mention I could never kill anything that would probably make a terrible crunch noise! Yeck! However, unless I want to equip us with a pacemaker, I hope to not see them! We have beautiful foliage in our new front yard, palms, bushes, flowers and even a coconut tree! But we saw two webs (they were small spiders) and were like.....oh boy! We'll live with it. I'd really rather not deal with a huge hairy spider all the same. Nor the Palmettos, really! They just really freak me out....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
View detailed profiles of: