U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-17-2009, 06:05 AM

1 posts, read 2,053 times

Advertisements

Found this thread via google when looking for info.Just a tidbit guysI lived thru Andrew, it was cat 5 til lanfallWinds were calc'd at 120 when it hit my building, because it was ametal building with serious steel I lost the garage doorsa and a couple of windowsI think that building for 130 is good enoughThanks for the info
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-17-2009, 12:06 PM

1,194 posts, read 3,690,810 times
I built a Log home in PA and currently looking for a large lot or piece of ground in the Carolinas to do the same....

As a sub contractor for a homes I can tell you it is not easy in the slightest bit of the way. YOu need to be informed and understand the procedures of building including local codes. You can get fined by locals if you do not or are unfamiliar with the steps of building a home/// Go to a Community College and take a few courses on Building Construction via a Developers view.
My friend use to build in Florida and had approximately 400 signed full home building contracts to build in 2006. 2007 was different and he had 1 contract signed in January, 3 in Feb and 1 in March. He had to fold due to the market conditions.

I did speak to him and he believes that a wood framed home is best for Florida and if you can afford the side walls made of solid concrete sandwiched on the outside of R30, it will withstand the 140mph wind code as the same for the roofing code would be good for the walls too. Yeah the roofs would neeed to be wood and only plywood because the roof is tied into the foundation by metal bridges. Triple tabbed shingles for Florida weather are special and I believe cement roofs are overkill because of the weight unless you build into a hill or mountain.

Also, a flat roof in Florida my not be the best because of the amount of rain we receive. Our home is just 4 years old and we were here during the Hurricans and lost 3 shingles because the roof was new and the tabs on the shingles were not adheared to each other and so they flapped during the first hurricane. Also plese consider metal window shutters over resistant glass windows because while we survived wonderfully the hurricans our neighbor had 3 of her windows broken and they are very costly....

Old 07-13-2016, 08:26 AM

4 posts, read 2,563 times
Default Awesome!

Quote:
Originally Posted by faithfulFrank View Post
Here's the house my wife and I built about 6 years ago.....

I cannot help you to much though......Florida specs are different. I think they seem easier through.....no stairs, no basements, no 48" frost codes, no ice concerns, etc,etc.......

I love building. Learn all you can first. Lke anything else, there is huge satisfaction, but only because there was huge commitment and perseverance first. It wasn't easy, but it was great. I would not mind doing it again in Florida.

Frank D.
Beautiful!!! What is the total square ft size of the flooring? How much did you spent? Sorry for the questions but I want to copy what you and wife created.

Old 07-13-2016, 08:35 AM

Would it be possible to build a house here in Florida with a floor size of less than 600 sq ft as a startup? I've seen tiny houses in the internet and I guess that is what I can afford for now.

Old 07-13-2016, 08:39 AM

I can see commercial building built on a steel frame. I guess that is the mode now. Having said that, do you think constructing a house would be the same as well?

Old 07-13-2016, 08:48 AM

Hey, I lived in Florida since 2005, now it is 2016 and have not experienced a hurricane. I guess when your time comes, so be it.

Old 07-14-2016, 02:51 PM

81 posts, read 69,201 times
I have acted as the general contractor on three of my houses. As I got older, I did less of the physical work and used sub contractors. The key to success is to have great sub contractors that are reliable and honest. You will pay for that, but will be better off in the long run and much happier with the quality of the house.
In my experience, if the inspectors know you are making every effort to build a quality home they are more than happy to help in offering some good guidance. Now this is my experience in the midwest and I cannot speak for other areas in the country.
I do question the abilities of some of the trades people in Florida. Im sure there are good ones there and you just need to be more cautious in your selection.

Old 09-09-2016, 05:06 AM

1 posts, read 522 times
Default Owner builder

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbravo View Post
I am building a house without a builder or contractor.
I am acting as an owner/builder to pull my own permits and hire the subs directly.
I know that there are others in this forum have done the same thing.
Any advise based on your experiences with permitting, with working with the various subs, with inspections as well as with the process in general: the lot/fill, form, rough plumbing, masonry, framing, well...everything but septic (and that's only because there is a separate thread on this,) would be greatly appreciated!

thank you.

p.s.
I'll take help even if your experience is "only" adding a mother-in-law suite. That's more experience than I have.
I have built my own home in Port St. Lucie as an owner builder Make sure that you used a recognized engineer from the building department just asked the billing department for a list also make sure you when using subcontractors you have a document when they're paid in full and lean is taking off your property and most of all take pictures and videos before calling in an it in inspection The reason is I had an inspector signed off and he forgot to post it in his computer when ahead and did install the barrel roof they told me they never had inspection done and we had his signature it didn't count lucky I had pictures and videos I needed one of the engineers to sign off on it that would've been a $60,000 mistake good luck

Old 12-02-2016, 01:31 PM

1 posts, read 407 times
You mention a concrete roof. How was that accomplished it is very heavy. I am planning to build an ICF home but, only 6" of concrete.

Thanks,
Guy Miller
(904) 626-3049

Old 12-02-2016, 03:53 PM

8,964 posts, read 6,268,491 times
What kind of loan are you guys getting to act as owner/builder? How are the terms? And are you employed FT elsewhere while doing this?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida