Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-07-2007, 10:03 AM

1 posts, read 2,388 times

Advertisements

Well I live in Myakka City and work 90minutes away in Clearwater. I will try to give an objective opinion of the good and the bad.

So I can tell you that Myakka is a nice place to have 10 acres away from everyone and everything. There is only 2 conv. stores and extremely slow growing number of stores (sub/pizza shop, clothing). Most people know each other to a small degree. There are some interesting tidbits like it is home of several circus families and the limpazzon (spelling?) stallions. There is a library being slowing ...very slowly...being setup for the community. It is improving. ((biggest improvement for me is there is a wireless broadband internet finally available)).

The downside that takes getting used to is being 35minutes from grocery shopping (publix/walmart in bradenton) and 45 minutes from dinner or anything bradenton / sarasota. If you are used to long drives like I am it isnt a big deal but it adds up. Wear and tear driving the distance play a major impact on me and not to mention my ability to get home at a decent time to see my kids each day. I have been here 10years+ and am considering moving back to town to get my family and my work closer togather. I also don't care for some of the white trash culture that is evident throughout the area.

If you have kids I dont recommend it (the country life is nice but too isolated from friends), and depending on location gators and snakes are a real concern. If you work a great deal away or if you would like stimulating conversations with your neighbors then this isnt the place for you. If you are solitary people and enjoy your pets in the outdoors then it might be heaven. Think about it alot ..it can be good and bad..

Hope this helped!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-08-2007, 06:34 AM

8 posts, read 45,964 times
I am a registered nurse and my husband is a physician and we are looking for an area "to get away from it all". Think it might be just what we need!

Old 05-08-2007, 09:10 AM

1,307 posts, read 5,504,271 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DonnaFaye View Post
I am a registered nurse and my husband is a physician and we are looking for an area "to get away from it all". Think it might be just what we need!
Considering that, my comment about the possible lack of medical care is pretty ironic!

Old 04-11-2013, 12:24 PM

1 posts, read 1,386 times
I am in the process of moving to Myakka City and from SR 70, Lakewood Ranch Medical Center is only 20 minutes...15 if you miss the construction and drive right
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida