Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-21-2009, 06:58 PM

8,893 posts, read 4,542,946 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by afman916 View Post
Whoa guys, didn't mean to touch a nerve! I leave for a Father's Day bbq and come back to three pages haha

At any rate, I appreciate everyone chiming in who loves life in FL. HOPE TO BE JOINING REAL SOON! I'll get my boat to the dock as soon as I get there and give you guys a holler

For the love of God. Did it ever occur to you those are daily activities of any grown responsible adult? I'm not being a fool, being a fool would be me thinking that if I moved to NC, I wouldn't have to do any of that.

"What the hell, you mean down here in Florida you have to do the same things you'd do in any other state? NO WAY!!!!!!!!"

Oops, you're right though, the fact that I'm going to have to be doing the same things I do RIGHT NOW is going to detract from my experience living in a place that offers ample opportunities to take part in activities I LOVE AND ADORE. Get real
Originally Posted by Lilybeans
I assume, then, that you worked a full time job while you were on your childhood vacations? I assume you drove in rush hour every day. Paid taxes. Got all your chores done before you went out a played on the beach-the grocery shopping, repairs, cleaning, doctor's visits, clothes shopping.

Don't be a fool. You may like living in Florida, but vacationing in a place and living there are two different things.

Good luck on your move. I moved here from NE w/o ever vacationing here and guess what I survived all this and love it here!!!

Old 06-21-2009, 06:59 PM

2,113 posts, read 5,075,639 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wild Style View Post
That assumption in bold makes little sense. Go to the other state forums and you will not see the same level of negativity you do about Florida. So obviously it is something else. A little common sense applied will tell you what that something else is.

Go to the boards in California , Nevada or Arizona and then talk to me ... as well most of the negativity on the Florida boards is Miami and Ft.Lauderdale .

Old 06-21-2009, 07:01 PM

15 posts, read 27,913 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Denise in Fla View Post

Good luck on your move. I moved here from NE w/o ever vacationing here and guess what I survived all this and love it here!!!

Thank you Denise, I'm glad you like it there!!

I know I will I've been harboring dreams of moving to FL since I've been about six....time soon for it to come true

Old 06-21-2009, 07:05 PM

2,113 posts, read 5,075,639 times
Quote:
Thank you Denise, I'm glad you like it there!!

I know I will I've been harboring dreams of moving to FL since I've been about six....time soon for it to come true

Good luck buddy ... we moved here from NYC nearly sixteen years ago and have not regretted it .

Old 06-21-2009, 07:07 PM

15 posts, read 27,913 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Retiredcoach View Post
Not sure if you would better served to go to a "rant" section of Craigslist, or something, but this is a forum, and YOU asked a question. You've asked, "Why all the negativity?" When an attempt is made to answer your leading question, you attempt to berate the poster. Then, you go into your "rave" mode suggesting that because your parents were successful, "it's not hard, you just need drive and determination". There are almost one million people who are unemployed and in search of an income in Florida today!!.... I can guarantee you that if drive and determination (how about desperation?) were the lone factors to their successes, there would not be a 10+% unemployment rate and the thousands of home foreclosures.

In answer to your question.... There is so much negativity because Florida is not the same place that your parents moved to. The national recession is devastating those in Florida needing to actually work. There have been down markets in the real estate marketplace before, but nothing approaching or comprehensive as what is going on today in Florida. There have been purported savvy real estate investors buying properties statewide, and many are now losing these "investments" . The bottom line is that you may be one of the lucky ones who may be able to "beat the long odds" of having nothing but good things happen for you as a Florida real estate investor , or you can lose everything because hard work was not enough. Then, you could live off of your parents' bankroll or join the legions of Floridians facing the life challenges that sunshine and beaches cannot solve.
Ok good sir-

A) My parents moved down last year. In the middle of the worst recession since the Great Depression. You lose.
B) Hard work is always enough, maybe not the first time, but hard work and perseverance pays off. If you don't believe that, or don't have the confidence to believe it, then you won't be successful. It's that simple, and I get so sick and tired of hearing people like you belittle people with big dreams because everyone isn't doing it. There's a reason everyone isn't doing it....because they have people like you to bring them down.
C) Have NEVER lived off my parents bankroll (except when I had to as a child) and don't plan on ever needing to. For you to assume I am some half-brained rich kid with delusions of grandeur destroys your credibility with me.
D) So you have to have everything going your way to be successful? Once again, I respectfully disagree. When faced with a down market, do things differently. I guarantee you that the "savvy investors" you speak of probably did the same thing every other investor was doing, or had a flawed business plan, or had a half-ass team behind him, or many of the other thousands of factors that can influence how you compete in the investing game. The point is, you have to be firing on all cylinders, especially now. If you know that ahead of time, and make sure all your ducks are in a row, and, more importantly, the RIGHT row, you stand a good chance for success.

That's the problem with the "mainstream mindset", even of the past twenty years. Growing up, I always knew I was going to do something great with my life. Call it a feeling I have inside. Yet, every single day, even today, people try and bring you down for having lofty goals. Think if someone like Sam Walton would have listened to someone like you when he was just starting out....

Have a good day

Old 06-21-2009, 07:57 PM

6,993 posts, read 17,363,340 times
Quote:
What are you even talking about. Do you know the definition of assumption? I wasn't "assuming" anything, I was stating an "observation" based on careful and continuous research into the state I will be moving to.

I didn't "assume" all the negativity was here. I read it every single day, in different posts by (mainly) different people.

No assumptions here pal.
Assume: to take as granted or true

So now we have webster's definition of the word, let us take a look at what you said.

Quote:
Anyway, my simple question is this: Why is EVERYTHING, and I mean darn near EVERYTHING, posted/said/mumbled/thought about pertaining to Florida in ANY aspect met with such BLATANT negativity on this board?!?!

I understand that it's a forum, the people that love it aren't necessarily on here, yadda yadda and I completely understand that, but has Florida degenerated THAT much that EVERYTHING has a negative aspect? Or did SO many people come here that the malcontents have sky-rocketed? And if so, why don't you people who are so discontented with FL stop posting on here and head to realtor.com and monster.com and find a NEW PLACE THAT PLEASES YOU!!!
link

The underlined part is the assumption and a silly one. You assume that people who love Florida (or is your assumption pertaining to all forums about a state) don't come to the forums hence all the negativity. Hence my telling you to use some common sense to come to the proper conclusion. From your reply I will now assume that either a. you are against using common sense or there is a lack there of.

Old 06-21-2009, 08:01 PM

1,304 posts, read 3,034,929 times
Quote:
Ok good sir-

A) My parents moved down last year. In the middle of the worst recession since the Great Depression. You lose.
B) Hard work is always enough, maybe not the first time, but hard work and perseverance pays off. If you don't believe that, or don't have the confidence to believe it, then you won't be successful. It's that simple, and I get so sick and tired of hearing people like you belittle people with big dreams because everyone isn't doing it. There's a reason everyone isn't doing it....because they have people like you to bring them down.
C) Have NEVER lived off my parents bankroll (except when I had to as a child) and don't plan on ever needing to. For you to assume I am some half-brained rich kid with delusions of grandeur destroys your credibility with me.
D) So you have to have everything going your way to be successful? Once again, I respectfully disagree. When faced with a down market, do things differently. I guarantee you that the "savvy investors" you speak of probably did the same thing every other investor was doing, or had a flawed business plan, or had a half-ass team behind him, or many of the other thousands of factors that can influence how you compete in the investing game. The point is, you have to be firing on all cylinders, especially now. If you know that ahead of time, and make sure all your ducks are in a row, and, more importantly, the RIGHT row, you stand a good chance for success.

That's the problem with the "mainstream mindset", even of the past twenty years. Growing up, I always knew I was going to do something great with my life. Call it a feeling I have inside. Yet, every single day, even today, people try and bring you down for having lofty goals. Think if someone like Sam Walton would have listened to someone like you when he was just starting out....

Have a good day

Besides your business management degree from Penn State, what can you bring to the table? You were a manager at McDonald's, that you admitted to not being able to handle, and you were a used car salesman. You have posted that you are around 25 years old and find a problem with the "mainstream mindset" of the past twenty years.... some of the most prosperous years of this country. You plan to become a real estate entrepreneur, but have no real knowledge of the Florida marketplace, other than as a vacationer or a visit to your mom's place. There is a very fine line between confidence and arrogance, and your posts lean more toward the latter. I know that the lawyers, the teachers, and the multitudes of knowledgeable individuals who post on this forum may not agree with what you purvey, because their life experiences may not be all of the "sunshine and roses" responses that you demand. Your idealism is commendable.... much like we PSU college students/grads of the 70's....., but "the times they are a changin' ". Your reality is what is off, and yours is the vision of yesteryear, not mine (ours).

Old 06-21-2009, 08:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rock Newman View Post
Go to the boards in California , Nevada or Arizona and then talk to me ... as well most of the negativity on the Florida boards is Miami and Ft.Lauderdale .
ahhh more silliness

Miami and Ft. Lauderdale are guess where? In Florida hence it falls under THIS forum so those are invalid *non sensical* points.

As for California, Nevada and Arizona I extend the same invitation to you as I did to the OP. Put your thinking cap on and use some common sense to come to the conclusion of why there is such negativity in those boards. Give you a hint, they all (including Florida) had a LOT in common. What are those common factors.

I have not gone to the ones you have mentioned but from time to time I peak in on the NY and Tenn. forums. In those two cases you do not see the same level of discontent but on the flip side of that coin they do not have those same factors in common that the states you named have in common with Florida.

P.S.

There are 50 states

Old 06-21-2009, 08:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Retiredcoach View Post
Besides your business management degree from Penn State, what can you bring to the table? You were a manager at McDonald's, that you admitted to not being able to handle, and you were a used car salesman. You have posted that you are around 25 years old and find a problem with the "mainstream mindset" of the past twenty years.... some of the most prosperous years of this country. You plan to become a real estate entrepreneur, but have no real knowledge of the Florida marketplace, other than as a vacationer or a visit to your mom's place. There is a very fine line between confidence and arrogance, and your posts lean more toward the latter. I know that the lawyers, the teachers, and the multitudes of knowledgeable individuals who post on this forum may not agree with what you purvey, because their life experiences may not be all of the "sunshine and roses" responses that you demand. Your idealism is commendable.... much like we PSU college students/grads of the 70's....., but "the times they are a changin' ". Your reality is what is off, and yours is the vision of yesteryear, not mine (ours).;)
especially if one plans to go into real estate now :S that ship has sailed, the F.I.R.E. economy is kaput.

Old 06-21-2009, 08:08 PM

56 posts, read 143,752 times
I LOVE central FLORIDA! We live two miles north of Disney and absolutely love it, especially the friendly people, the fun stuff to do and the paradise climate. We tried other place, California, being one and hated it. Florida, also has the most beautiful homes we have ever seen anywhere. Yup, thumbs up for Florida.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida