U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-29-2009, 07:03 AM

1 posts, read 65,766 times

Advertisements

I am looking to relocate to Florida. Was thinking of Orlando, but after much research, I am chnaging my mind.

I would like to live near a city area, but not in the city. Want the nice weather and be able to drive to the beach in a few minutes. A community with some jobs (ya I know it is tough right now) or at leastb a chance for employment would be nice.

I was thinking of Spring Hill as it is within 45 minutes of Tampa and Orlando. What do you all think?

Give me your top three places to live.

Thanks!
Quick reply to this message

Old 06-29-2009, 07:10 AM

700 posts, read 2,936,964 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Floridaguy33 View Post
I am looking to relocate to Florida. Was thinking of Orlando, but after much research, I am chnaging my mind.

I would like to live near a city area, but not in the city. Want the nice weather and be able to drive to the beach in a few minutes. A community with some jobs (ya I know it is tough right now) or at leastb a chance for employment would be nice.

I was thinking of Spring Hill as it is within 45 minutes of Tampa and Orlando. What do you all think?

Thanks!
Viera(Brevard county near Melbourne about an hour from Orlando)

Old 06-29-2009, 07:12 AM

258 posts, read 728,244 times
Winter Park is usually voted in the top 100 places in America to live.

Old 06-29-2009, 09:05 AM

26,590 posts, read 54,473,310 times
If you don't want to live in Orlando, why are you posting int eh Orlando forum?

Old 06-29-2009, 04:05 PM

125 posts, read 691,985 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Floridaguy33 View Post

Thanks!
Depends on what you're looking for. How old are you? You want a big city, mid-size city, small town? Is Nightlife important? Age of residents? Diversity? Florida cities vary widely in all of these areas, what one person likes another person might hate.

Old 06-30-2009, 06:13 AM

1,988 posts, read 6,361,901 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by annerk View Post
If you don't want to live in Orlando, why are you posting int eh Orlando forum?
My thoughts exactly haha.

Some areas in the Orlando area that may still work for you are some of the midsized towns in Lake County like Leesburg, Mt Dora, The Villages, and the surrounding areas. There are also some nice areas to look into in Polk County. The Hernando county and Spring Hill areas are nice as well, but other than nice homes, there is not a lot going on. There is not a close urban area with entertainment options like Lake or Polk County. Another area to consider is the Sarasota area on down to Naples. Most of these areas are very mature (read: Old) but that has its own advantages like being a peaceful community with less noise or crime. It has some disadvantages too though like less bars and entertainment and lack of certain ethnic restaurants that you may appreciate. I think finding the balance of being close enough and far enough from a major city is should be the biggest criteria of your search. Because of your beach criteria, New Smyrna, Viera, and Palm Coast are additional options.

Old 06-30-2009, 01:43 PM

16,992 posts, read 20,605,780 times
Is it just me, unless you are retiring here, and since you asked about jobs you clearly aren't. How about lining up a job first?

How can someone be concerned about where they're going to live if they aren't working?

You mentioned Spring Hill, that county(Hernando) has the second highest unemployment in the state. It is located 45 miles north of Tampa, so lets say you got a job in Tampa, do you want a 90 mile round trip drive everyday.

Unless you have extensive savings or have job in the medical field(RN) you are going about it the wrong way.

Find a job, then pick an area close by to live.

Old 12-01-2009, 07:28 PM

1 posts, read 58,964 times
We are a family of 4. We have a 9 year old and a 7 year old. We are looking to move to Florida in the next year or two. We are looking for an upscale area with great schools. What would you recommend?

Old 12-01-2009, 07:42 PM

1,000 posts, read 2,919,951 times
That's a pretty broad spectrum...are you asking about upscale neighborhoods in the entire state of Florida or the Orlando area in general?

Old 12-02-2009, 04:28 AM

26,590 posts, read 54,473,310 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fstucken View Post
We are a family of 4. We have a 9 year old and a 7 year old. We are looking to move to Florida in the next year or two. We are looking for an upscale area with great schools. What would you recommend?
Find a job, then worry about where to live. There are plenty of areas that would fit your needs as far as houaing goes. That said, you didn't give a price range. Based on your criteria I'd suggest Isleworrth or Lake Butler, but are you prepared to spend several million or more on a home?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or