U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-04-2009, 12:57 PM

43,367 posts, read 52,267,884 times

Advertisements

I don't get people who dig reptiles for pets. Snakes are fine and whatever, but they make no sense as pets. And I have to wonder about their quality of life.

One thing bothers me about this, though...

I think it's pretty manipulative for the media to spotlight this considering how many regular domestic pets kill and maim people every year. They knew everyone would make a fuss....annoying.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-04-2009, 05:56 PM

7,969 posts, read 11,589,845 times
I wondered when I heard about this initially. I have not looked into any real information though.
I'm not sticking up for python owners per se but there have been other cases with other reported animal deaths in the past that later on after investigation it was found that the child died of other reasons, often related to neglect of some kind, and the parents staged and blamed it on the pet. Of course after the initial blame and outcry - no one ever reports on what actually happened.

Old 07-04-2009, 09:10 PM

11,798 posts, read 21,889,886 times
Why was a pet python left near a 2-year-old without supervision? Don't blame the snake.

Old 07-04-2009, 09:18 PM

9,362 posts, read 22,736,330 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yachtcare View Post
Should there be tougher regulation on dangerous "pets"?

I have heard estimates that there are now 20-30,000 of these non native snakes all over Florida in the wild. And they arent even safe when kept as a pet......

12-Foot Python Strangles Toddler - Orlando News Story - WKMG Orlando (http://www.clickorlando.com/news/19914383/detail.html - broken link)
There are regulations. A permit is required, at least here in Florida. The owner had no permit.

I hope that the owner and girlfriend (mother of the girl) are charged to the max, I can't imagine what a horrible death the child must have suffered.

The sister was on the local news crying and saying that they would play with the snake. I think there are a couple of sibs and can't imagine how this will affect them forever.

Old 07-04-2009, 11:03 PM

1,343 posts, read 4,662,297 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oldenfatt View Post
I worked as an environmental scientist in the wetlands of the Mississippi Delta for a number of years. As a result, I don't care for snakes, nor do I care for those individuals who would keep reptiles as pets. I believe there is something inherently damaged in those persons who deliberately violate one of the few instincts we still share with other primates- an innate loathing of snakes. Keeping and maintaining them in the home shared with small children displays a deficit of understanding as staggering in scope as is the tragic result.
To put it in simpler terms- the fool should have had neither snake nor child in the home.
Absoltely!

Old 07-04-2009, 11:07 PM

55,420 posts, read 74,265,837 times
predators dont make good pets, dont make good SO's either.

Old 07-21-2009, 06:17 AM

12 posts, read 29,484 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katie1 View Post
I never could figure out why people with small pets & kids wanted SNAKES around them! Snakes are NOT pets! There is No Way to keep them from what Nature intended!!

Tell me about it. What's warm and fuzzy about snakes. It so turned me off, I am planning on moving to Florida in December, and I have a dog. Now all I think is what if my dog and I are outside and a snake comes out. This is not what I want to be thinking. According to the news there are about 100,000 pythons in Florida, especially in the Everglades and they started hiring people to kill them, only 5 people till now, they absolutely need more. There snakes are not natives of Florida but they were brought from different countries to be sold as pets. No offense to those people, but I cannot imagine it. Now I am worried.

Old 07-21-2009, 06:21 AM

12 posts, read 29,484 times
Quote:

I have heard estimates that there are now 20-30,000 of these non native snakes all over Florida in the wild. And they arent even safe when kept as a pet......

12-Foot Python Strangles Toddler - Orlando News Story - WKMG Orlando (http://www.clickorlando.com/news/19914383/detail.html - broken link)
Just a quick question. I am moving to Naples in December, but just wanted to ask do you have that snake problem a lot in your area? This got me all worried, because the news said 5 people were hired by the state to kill them, and the situation has become worse. And this is not made up by the media either. Any idea would be appreciated. Thanks

Old 07-21-2009, 11:05 AM

2,631 posts, read 4,922,610 times
Quote:

as already noted, there are regulations and permits. some people seem to think that they are above the law.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katie1 View Post
I never could figure out why people with small pets & kids wanted SNAKES around them! Snakes are NOT pets! There is No Way to keep them from what Nature intended!!
a few mistakes in your post. snakes are pets. there is a way to keep them from what nature intended (if by that my assumption that you mean preying on whatever happens across them is correct): it is called responsible ownership, which includes a reliable enclosure, not one that had been broken out of multiple times.

further, your assertion that snakes don't mix well with small pets and kids is faulty, because most pet snakes are small and nonvenomous. they generally can't and won't do anything to kids and pets because they are too small. some of them may bite from time to time, but in my experience, it is very rare. larger snakes on the other hand do not make good pets in a household that includes children and smaller pets.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ssg II View Post
"Pet" Python? No such thing. Parents are probably on welfare, snake was hungry. Can you imagine the terror the child experienced?
very judgmental, nice. again, there is such a thing as a pet python. really. seriously. people have pythons as pets. i'm not even kidding. and it might surprie you that not only poor people on welfare have pythons as pets.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AliceT View Post
Snakes, by their very nature, are incapable of feeling emotional attachment to people or even other species. They live their lives as either predator or prey - nothing between.

It is nothing new.

Beloved family pet eaten by python | NowPublic News Coverage
this is true. snakes do not have the same capacities that mammals do as far as feeling emotions and manipulating instinct. i will discuss this more toward the bottom.

Quote:
Originally Posted by phonelady61 View Post
Snakes the size of automobiles should never be kept as pets period and certainly not with children in the house for gods sake . i mean most snakes the size of cars can and will kill a grown man .I dont have anything against snakes but they were not meant to be kept as pets just as alligators , bears , tigers what have you . Honestly why would anyone want to keep one as a pet is beyond me I dont think they should even have to have a license to keep them , I think it should be against the law period .
you are operating with a number of logical fallacies here. first of all, a snake that is long as a car is not actually "the size of an automobile," as you put it, and second, the snakes that really do get large enough that you could (in your apparent fondness of hyperbole) compare them to automobiles, are rare and hardly ever kept as pets. further, when they are kept as pets, it is more often than not by people with the intelligence and resources to actually keep them, since they are very large animals that have special needs regarding food and living space, not to mention handling.

next, your quote, "i mean most snakes the size of cars can and will kill a grown man," is absolutely false. most snakes the size of cars (again ignoring your hyperbole for a moment) try to get away from humans. most animals do. go watch a few videos about anaconda-catching in the amazon and tell me how many of them actually try to kill them humans entrapping them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldenfatt View Post
I worked as an environmental scientist in the wetlands of the Mississippi Delta for a number of years. As a result, I don't care for snakes, nor do I care for those individuals who would keep reptiles as pets. I believe there is something inherently damaged in those persons who deliberately violate one of the few instincts we still share with other primates- an innate loathing of snakes. Keeping and maintaining them in the home shared with small children displays a deficit of understanding as staggering in scope as is the tragic result.
To put it in simpler terms- the fool should have had neither snake nor child in the home.
regarding the bolded section, you are admitting that this is a biased opinion, but subscribing to it anyway. as a scientist, you have been trained to, and should be able to look objectively at a situation and realize that just because some people have values that are different than yours does not make them inherently flawed.

loathing reptiles is not actually one of the few instincts that we share with other primates. in fact, we share multitudes of instincts with primates, and loathing reptiles is debatable at best. find something else upon which to base your loathing of people that share different values than you, because this one is invalid from a purely objective standpoint.

now, as to your closing statement, large snakes do not mix in a household with children, and this guy definitely shows a rather shallow understanding of animal psychology and maintenance requirements, not to mention some level or another of an apparent disregard to human life, since the snake escaped earlier that week or the week before, and he didn't secure it (whether or not he even tried was not in the article i read, but he was not successful if he did).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huckleberry3911948 View Post
predators dont make good pets, dont make good SO's either.
predators, eh? man is a predator. dogs are predators. cats are predators. birds (many of them) are predators. ferrets are predators. need i go on?

Quote:
Originally Posted by mimi02 View Post
Tell me about it. What's warm and fuzzy about snakes. It so turned me off, I am planning on moving to Florida in December, and I have a dog. Now all I think is what if my dog and I are outside and a snake comes out. This is not what I want to be thinking. According to the news there are about 100,000 pythons in Florida, especially in the Everglades and they started hiring people to kill them, only 5 people till now, they absolutely need more. There snakes are not natives of Florida but they were brought from different countries to be sold as pets. No offense to those people, but I cannot imagine it. Now I am worried.
what is warm and fuzzy about a turtle? a gecko? a bird? warm and fuzzy is not the deciding characteristic of whether or not an animal makes a good pet. you are revealing the fact that you can't look at this situation from any vantage point but your own.

unfortunately, stupid people are releasing snakes and other pets into non-native environments when they tire of them. this happens with dogs and cats all of the time. but it does happen with exotic pets as well. every couple of years, authorities keep pulling alligators and dead sharks out of lake powell over here in utah. they obviously didn't grow up there...

these snakes in the everglades could cause potential disasters with the local ecosystem, and the local authorities are wise to try to get rid of them. i would imagine that it is too late though, with the numbers that have been released and that are undoubtedly reproducing there.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mimi02 View Post
Just a quick question. I am moving to Naples in December, but just wanted to ask do you have that snake problem a lot in your area? This got me all worried, because the news said 5 people were hired by the state to kill them, and the situation has become worse. And this is not made up by the media either. Any idea would be appreciated. Thanks
never lived in the naples area, but i did live in jacksonville for a while and spent a lot of time down in the daytona area and the northern end of the everglades.

i never saw one. sad too, because i would love to see one of those snakes. chances are, you will never encounter one of them. your dogs do have a better chance of finding one, because they go actively looking for stuff like that. but still, most of the dogs in florida will probably never see or smell one either.

snakes are predators, and just like any of the other predatory creatures that humans love as pets, they need to be treated as animals, not as people. dog and cat owners very often make the mistake of treating their furry little friends as humans, and this causes problems in the relationship, and can often lead to violence in one way or another.

though not as common (owing to the alien natures of reptiles as compared to other mammals which we *think* we understand better), people do treat their snakes as humans at times as well. examples of this would be when a snake (not even just a large snake) is kept without a secure enclosure. this man undoubtedly thought that there would not be any problems–even though the snake had escaped only days prior to this tragedy–and consciously or unconsciously had probably allowed himself to think that the snake was used to living with them and would understand the rules of human socialization.

no animal understands that. not even your dogs and cats. they do not associate with humans on a human level; they do it on an animal level. some animals have a higher capacity than others in this regard, but it is always on an animal level.

snakes therefore do not ever think fondly toward their owner, even if that owner has been the most compassionate, caring, responsible human in existence. it is still an animal to the snake, and the snake is incapable of reasoning about this other animal on a plane higher than its brain and instincts allow, that is as a predatory animal.

aaron out.

Old 07-21-2009, 11:15 AM

1,280 posts, read 6,113,900 times
I couldn't have a large pet snake because I'm a little too fond of rodents to properly feed one. However, I do have a great appreciation for snakes. I enjoy handling them when I get the chance at work and I think they are beautiful animals in their own way. Snakes are just one kind of animal that can be dangerous to small children if kept improperly. Dogs are another. Warm fuzziness has nothing to do with it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida