U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-28-2009, 10:03 PM

2,631 posts, read 4,930,928 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by RVlover View Post
'we need you to define "vicious" for us'

REPLY: I would label any animal that resides in someones home which if let out , has a high probability of causing great bodily harm or death to another human being, as being vicious. As to your list of animals that most consider vicious, there is a difference between animals who live in the woods or in the wild that rely on their vicious nature to survive versus the same animals who are brought into a local environment densely populated by human beings which includes Neighbors whose main concern is safety and protection for themselves and loved ones.
not to put too fine of a point on it, but i would say that you utilize your own private definitions in public debates.

this serves only to confuse people when it comes to a public conversation. this is the problem with the person's article that i quoted; they use their own opinions and definitions as their measuring stick and then judges the rest of humanity with it, without regard for the plethora of other opinions and viewpoints out there, and without any thought for scientific fact.

Vicious Definition | Definition of Vicious at Dictionary.com

Quote:
–adjective 1. addicted to or characterized by vice; grossly immoral; depraved; profligate: a vicious life. 2. given or readily disposed to evil: a vicious criminal. 3. reprehensible; blameworthy; wrong: a vicious deception. 4. spiteful; malicious: vicious gossip; a vicious attack. 5. unpleasantly severe: a vicious headache. 6. characterized or marred by faults or defects; faulty; unsound: vicious reasoning. 7. savage; ferocious: They all feared his vicious temper. 8. (of an animal) having bad habits or a cruel or fierce disposition: a vicious bull. 9. Archaic. morbid, foul, or noxious.
this is the literal definition. if we are going to use personal definitions, then we need to clarify them up front. you did clarify this, in response to my question, so we actually have somewhere to go now in this conversation.

as far as the other person is concerned, we cannot yet have an intelligent conversation because they are the only ones that know what their personal definition of "vicious" is.

to your definition: though it doesn't match the actual definition of the word, i can understand what you are saying, though i disagree.

"vicious," as an adjective, is usually only applied to animal attacks as an emotional response, and generally does not actually fit the reality of the events. many dogs bite people every year, but very few of them could actually be said to be vicious. normally the dogs bite and then let go, and an overwhelming number of those bites are reactions to events or situations that the dog felt threatened by. in that sense, the dog isn't attacking because it is an evil, bloodthirsty animal that really just wanted to hurt people. it is acting out of instinctual urges–fight or flight–and its actions are genetically programmed to save its life.

in the case of this snake, it is a predator. it was stupidly left out where it could reach a human child, which to a snake of that size is prey. it killed the child because it is instinctively driven to hunt prey within that size range, and it had the opportunity. again, there was nothing human about the killing, meaning that it wasn't evil, vicious, or any of the other personifying adjectives that we like to pin to animals. it was natural.

your definition could apply to many things besides dogs, snakes, and tigers. for example, human beings prey on other humans more than any other animal does (barring mosquitoes, bacteria, etc). so the whole human race, by your definition, should be labeled as "vicious." i know that some people would definitely agree with that, despite the ridiculous generalization present.

further, nonliving things could be included in that category. cars are involved in the deaths of thousands of people every year. are they vicious? if not, you need to define an adjectives that can be applied to nonliving objects that are intrinsically dangerous.

regarding my list, i used it only because i think that the poster that i quoted is using something along the lines of "ick factor" to define vicious, and reacting on a purely emotional, irrational level, not because i actually think that those animals could be accurately described as vicious.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-29-2009, 08:46 PM

5 posts, read 9,507 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FertilityDoc View Post
Snakes are one thing but Pit Bulls are not deserving of the popular folklore which surrounds them. We have a Border Collie who does rally/obedience and agility. There are many Pit Bulls in the classes with her. They are very well behaved intelligent dogs and can be loving family pets just like any other dog. I have been amazed at how well they do in the classes. Pit Bulls have great temperaments. Sadly a few owners abuse their dogs. Did you ever notice how many Pit Bulls Cesar Milan has? His dog "Daddy" is so well behaved and he uses him to train other dogs. Please see the following link for more information on Pit Bulls

Midwest Rescue - Myths vs. Facts—The Truth About Pit Bulls (http://www.midwestrescueabull.org/myths.html - broken link)
I have to agreee, every Saturday my son volunteers for the animal shelter that has dogs in our local Petsmart. Most weeks he is training with pit bulls for adoption. I was afraid of them at first but have learned to love them. Pit bulls are very sweet, loving dogs. They get a bad rap because some have been raised wrong but they are incredibly sweet and would be a wonderful companion.

Old 08-29-2009, 09:02 PM

37 posts, read 85,876 times
How terribly sad for that poor baby. I just can't imagine.

About pit bulls... My brother has one. He almost knocks me over when he sees me and will sit in my lap like he's a mini poodle. He will actually knock my brother over if he plays too rough with me.
They're extremely loyal and smart. Because of their strength and ability to be aggressive, bad owners do horrible things and change the dog to be something they're not.
When they come from good homes, are socialized with lots of people/children and other animals, they can be fantastic companions and guardians.

Old 08-30-2009, 08:04 AM

14,939 posts, read 10,215,475 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yachtcare View Post
Should there be tougher regulation on dangerous "pets"?

I have heard estimates that there are now 20-30,000 of these non native snakes all over Florida in the wild. And they arent even safe when kept as a pet......

12-Foot Python Strangles Toddler - Orlando News Story - WKMG Orlando (http://www.clickorlando.com/news/19914383/detail.html - broken link)

Stay on topic. This thread has been derailed. You may discuss pit bulls/dogs on the DOGS forum.

Last edited by 2goldens; 08-30-2009 at 08:19 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida