Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-01-2009, 06:53 PM

5 posts, read 12,352 times

Advertisements

My husband and I want to move to FL after he retires. I did some research on Tampa, north of Tampa, and St Peterburg. I found out that housings aren't cheap, property tax is high, and crimes rates are not any better than CA, and "sink holes" zones. This is a first time I hear about this type of natural disaster. Although, my husband and I still like the idea of tropical climate of FL, and a nice mixtures of peoples. We have son and we want move to a place does not have gang problem, reasonable housing, and no..."sink holes"!
I hope I don't sound like a snob! I just want a nicer place to raise my son and my husband can have a peaceful retirement. we are both in our fourtyish, so we don't mind to hang out with some old folks but we also like people our ages too.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-01-2009, 07:09 PM

6,853 posts, read 22,366,114 times
Sink Holes we have a thread on this, not sure if you saw it http://www.city-data.com/forum/flori...ink-holes.html This link is for a map of where sink holes prone areas in Florida http://www.dep.state.fl.us/geology/g...ole_poster.pdf

Old 07-01-2009, 07:36 PM

Thank you so much for the link. I still need some more input on which county of FL most of you like the best.

Old 07-01-2009, 10:07 PM

6,853 posts, read 22,366,114 times
^^^Which county we like the most is really a very subjective question and so hard to answer. I personally wouldn't live any other county in Florida other than the tri-county area (Palm Beach, Broward, and Miami-Dade Counties). But I wouldn't recommend these counties either. A friend of mine used to live in Odessa Florida just outside Tampa and loved it, but I couldn't live in Tampa. So its really hard to answer this one. Maybe other posters can give you some help. BTW, I would trade places and live in California today.

Old 07-02-2009, 12:52 AM

Thanks Doggiebus,
California is very nice if you have plenty of money to live some where like San Diego or San Francisco. I live in Bakersfield, its hot, dusty. All the dirty air trap here, and 80% of the children have Asthma. I am also consider San Diego area, but I just hate the thought of raising my son in the gang infested place, because the housing is so high, we would not affort to live in a up scale neighborhood. I guess I will just have to do more research.

Old 07-02-2009, 07:10 AM

17,452 posts, read 38,829,694 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by honglee View Post
My husband and I want to move to FL after he retires. I did some research on Tampa, north of Tampa, and St Peterburg. I found out that housings aren't cheap, property tax is high, and crimes rates are not any better than CA, and "sink holes" zones. This is a first time I hear about this type of natural disaster. Although, my husband and I still like the idea of tropical climate of FL, and a nice mixtures of peoples. We have son and we want move to a place does not have gang problem, reasonable housing, and no..."sink holes"!
I hope I don't sound like a snob! I just want a nicer place to raise my son and my husband can have a peaceful retirement. we are both in our fourtyish, so we don't mind to hang out with some old folks but we also like people our ages too.
Can you give us more info on what you need? Do you need jobs here? Because that will play a part in where we would advise you to live. A nice place to live is Lakeland, it's in the center of the state right between Orlando and Tampa, housing is reasonable, the job outlook is a bit better there than other cities and it is very "family friendly." People of all ages live in Lakeland, it's not so much a "vacation or retiree" place.

Old 07-02-2009, 09:15 AM

Hello Gypsychic,
I like your name, it has a lot of attitude Yes I would need to work, I'm a hairdresser, and my husband will be retire but I know he want to work somewhere in the law inforcement agency, and my son is still in a school age. I am keeping contact by email with a realstate agent in tampa right now. She has been sending me listing of houses, but I am so weary of the "sink holes" bussiness, I am not sure if I want to live somewhere that my house will get swallow up by a hole. I just need more input from people that live in Florida, and I will keep an open mind to whatever advise from everyone. thanx

Old 07-02-2009, 05:04 PM

8,289 posts, read 13,507,325 times
honglee sinkholes are not that common in Florida. They are a rare occurence and I would be much more afraid of living in CA with it's earthquakes and mudslides we hear about every year.I wouldn't worry about it that much.

Old 07-03-2009, 10:18 AM

2,414 posts, read 5,378,719 times
Unless you're going to live in Pasco or some other area that has a high incidence of sinkholes, I wouldn't worry about it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida