Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-18-2007, 04:26 PM

432 posts, read 1,879,150 times

Advertisements

Yes the campus police at some SUNY and CUNY schools are armed. My ex taught in the CUNY system, and the security force has very tough requirements. But arming security isn't the only solution if you do not have the systems in place.

My son spent his freshman year at suny purchase before transferring out. I never saw guns there, but the campus is very loosely patrolled. Lots of woods which really are impossible to patrol. And when he was there, the security had a very lackadasical attitude toward drug abuse, alchohol, crowd control, etc. They consistently underestimated the need for reinforcements from local police - which is why a demonstration the students had to support striking maintenance workers got out of hand with shoving and breaking stuff, and why a dorm fire was worse than it should have been. My son left after a freshman year of cleaning up vomit and bong water, and having drugs dealt from his room while no one in charge cared to respond to his complaints - or mine. His worst roomate was expelled for not keeping up his grades and also for harassing a girl - but he kept coming back on campus to deal. Hi dude, nice to see ya. Had a nice little business going there, dealing marijuana and shrooms. Lotsa satisfied customers.

I was really shocked by this, because my experience with security at Ramapo college in NJ which is also on an open, woodsy area, was really different. Those people were very responsive, and also pro active about drug and alchohol abuse. I used to work at a youth program which was hosted there on Saturdays, and I also went to meetings there during the week. Always very complete and alert security - not a large force, but a good one.

When my son transferred to a smaller college in NYC, I was just soooo happy to see a security guard at the front gate checking everyone out and writing down license plate numbers of everyone who entered the campus. And now that my son is an RA, he knows that gate security has a description of cars and individuals who are not supposed to be on campus - and they check id. True, someone can get in a back way - but there is an awareness among security and res life staff about people who don;t belong on campus and also students who cause trouble or are unbalanced in some way.

Will be interesting to see how this impacts campus security response to emergencies in general.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-18-2007, 04:58 PM

5,701 posts, read 24,159,933 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cmsvmom View Post
Yes the campus police at some SUNY and CUNY schools are armed. My ex taught in the CUNY system, and the security force has very tough requirements. But arming security isn't the only solution if you do not have the systems in place.

My son spent his freshman year at suny purchase before transferring out. I never saw guns there, but the campus is very loosely patrolled. Lots of woods which really are impossible to patrol. And when he was there, the security had a very lackadasical attitude toward drug abuse, alchohol, crowd control, etc. They consistently underestimated the need for reinforcements from local police - which is why a demonstration the students had to support striking maintenance workers got out of hand with shoving and breaking stuff, and why a dorm fire was worse than it should have been. My son left after a freshman year of cleaning up vomit and bong water, and having drugs dealt from his room while no one in charge cared to respond to his complaints - or mine. His worst roomate was expelled for not keeping up his grades and also for harassing a girl - but he kept coming back on campus to deal. Hi dude, nice to see ya. Had a nice little business going there, dealing marijuana and shrooms. Lotsa satisfied customers.

I was really shocked by this, because my experience with security at Ramapo college in NJ which is also on an open, woodsy area, was really different. Those people were very responsive, and also pro active about drug and alchohol abuse. I used to work at a youth program which was hosted there on Saturdays, and I also went to meetings there during the week. Always very complete and alert security - not a large force, but a good one.

When my son transferred to a smaller college in NYC, I was just soooo happy to see a security guard at the front gate checking everyone out and writing down license plate numbers of everyone who entered the campus. And now that my son is an RA, he knows that gate security has a description of cars and individuals who are not supposed to be on campus - and they check id. True, someone can get in a back way - but there is an awareness among security and res life staff about people who don;t belong on campus and also students who cause trouble or are unbalanced in some way.

Will be interesting to see how this impacts campus security response to emergencies in general.
The smaller campus might be more secure than the larger ones...just a matter of span of control...

Old 04-18-2007, 07:29 PM

65 posts, read 341,170 times
All this talk about campus security is useless. When someone wants to kill, they will do it.

That Korean punk was an outcast, a loner, an anti-social and many knew it. He should have been denied from attending campus.

Old 04-19-2007, 11:52 AM

432 posts, read 1,879,150 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sunrico90 View Post
The smaller campus might be more secure than the larger ones...just a matter of span of control...
The smaller campus is open in the bronx. The larger one is in a wealthy area, and very woodsy. The street life in the bronx is a concern for campus security, as it would be in any urban area.

The problem at SUNY Purchase was not one of borders or barriers, or even enough patrol. It was one of attitude and planning, as well as response and prevention. Those are the things that I think colleges will need to review in light of this.

Old 04-19-2007, 12:17 PM

672 posts, read 905,468 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cmsvmom View Post

Our local school district on LI does exactly that. There are security cars blocking all the entrances to the schools. You are stopped, asked your business, and the guard writes you name, license plate number, and time you came in. When you get inside the building, you have to sign you name, time of arrival, and wear a sticker with your name and who you are going to see. Then you sign out and give the sticker back when you leave. You are stopped again by the security guard and he notes when you left the campus. This is done from the elementary schools to the high schools. The school district started this after Columbine.

Old 04-19-2007, 03:40 PM

11,395 posts, read 24,449,916 times
I can't see that kind of thing ever happening on big campuses, the size of Virginia Tech's. They are larger than some cities.

Small urban campuses usually have key codes, guards at the door, and such, but an insider can get in the same as anyone else. Locks are no good against the ones who are already inside.

Old 04-19-2007, 03:54 PM

Lightbulb St. Augustine boy threatens to kill 100

A 14-year-old high school student has been arrested for making e-mail threats to top the Virginia Tech massacre by killing 100 people, authorities said Thursday. Sent an-email to a female friend saying he planned to top the 33 people killed at Virginia Tech, the worst mass shooting in U.S. history.

This can be the start of many folks going forward with bad ideas; fueled by the VA Tech massacre....

Old 04-19-2007, 04:10 PM

1,308 posts, read 3,401,645 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nirvana-Guy View Post

Cops are too busy writing tickets and eating doughnuts at coffee shops to respond on time.
Interesting. I don't see anyone else responding to these emergencies. Had any tickets lately?

Old 04-20-2007, 03:16 PM

[quote=sunrico90;600642]A 14-year-old high school student has been arrested for making e-mail threats to top the Virginia Tech massacre by killing 100 people, authorities said Thursday. Sent an-email to a female friend saying he planned to top the 33 people killed at Virginia Tech, the worst mass shooting in U.S. history.

This can be the start of many folks going forward with bad ideas; fueled by the VA Tech massacre....[/QUOTE]

Has started 15 schools lock-down yesterday, A Johnson Space Center building was evacuated Friday after reports of a gunman inside, Houston police said. Police were called about 1:40 p.m. for Building 44, which houses communications and tracking development laboratory..

Was a light turned on for others to create havoc in this country? Will this create a national fear?

Old 04-20-2007, 03:28 PM

More crazy stuff:

A Diplomat Middle School student has been arrested by Cape Coral police in connection with a bomb threat called in at the school earlier today.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida