U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 07-06-2009, 12:10 AM
 
4 posts, read 7,693 times
Reputation: 10

Advertisements

We are moving to FL, not real sure when (within the next 6 months, I am sure). Work is not an issue, my husband will be flying into New Orleans for his current job every 21 days. I am applying to the Midwifery school in Gainesville (Aug 2010)- so commute and driving is not an issue-
This is what we are looking for/needs/haves-

We have a 7yo that will be attending 1st grade
A 15yo starting his freshman year of HS-Very into ROTC
A 4yo that will be attending some type of preschool

My grandmother lives with us during the school year she is 72yo and VERY active (I think her real age is 32Yo, I can't keep up with her)

Great Schools
Beach
Low crime
Lots of Family things to do
Small town feel, but close to a city (maybe 30/45 min)

We were looking at New Port Richey, then came on here and read all the posts I am at a loss now.
We are coming out next month (Aug) to drive around and check out as may towns as we can.

Thanks to everyone in advance
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 07-06-2009, 12:18 AM
 
Location: 39 20' 59"N / 75 30' 53"W
16,085 posts, read 23,792,568 times
Reputation: 17982
Key West

Last edited by virgode; 07-06-2009 at 12:18 AM.. Reason: capatilize
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-06-2009, 04:29 AM
 
Location: Jupiter
1,108 posts, read 3,677,866 times
Reputation: 623
My wife and I have been looking into Florida as well...over the last several years...we have ruled out several areas...and our next trip will be to the Sarasota area...from what we have heard...this might be it...fits all our needs...and I think if you look into it...it will fit your's as well...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-06-2009, 08:21 AM
 
8,376 posts, read 27,734,421 times
Reputation: 2362
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tera View Post
We are moving to FL, not real sure when (within the next 6 months, I am sure). Work is not an issue, my husband will be flying into New Orleans for his current job every 21 days. I am applying to the Midwifery school in Gainesville (Aug 2010)- so commute and driving is not an issue-
This is what we are looking for/needs/haves-

We have a 7yo that will be attending 1st grade
A 15yo starting his freshman year of HS-Very into ROTC
A 4yo that will be attending some type of preschool

My grandmother lives with us during the school year she is 72yo and VERY active (I think her real age is 32Yo, I can't keep up with her)

Great Schools
Beach
Low crime
Lots of Family things to do
Small town feel, but close to a city (maybe 30/45 min)

We were looking at New Port Richey, then came on here and read all the posts I am at a loss now.
We are coming out next month (Aug) to drive around and check out as may towns as we can.

Thanks to everyone in advance
Your easy! I hope someone can chime in about the many spots in the Panhandle and northern Florida (although I know somebody who moved up towards Okaloosa County and is really enjoying it for his family, and I think St. Augustine area has what you are looking for), but on the central to south peninsula, you have...

Gainesville
Seminole County (Oviedo, Lake Mary, Winter Springs, Longwood, Altamonte Springs, Casselberry, etc).
Brevard County area, like areas surrounding Melbourne
Oldsmar
Safety Harbor
Palm Harbor
Dunedin
Stuart and Martin County area
Jupiter/Tequesta/ northern Palm Beach County
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-06-2009, 08:25 AM
 
2,113 posts, read 4,425,885 times
Reputation: 914
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tera View Post
We are moving to FL, not real sure when (within the next 6 months, I am sure). Work is not an issue, my husband will be flying into New Orleans for his current job every 21 days. I am applying to the Midwifery school in Gainesville (Aug 2010)- so commute and driving is not an issue-
This is what we are looking for/needs/haves-

We have a 7yo that will be attending 1st grade
A 15yo starting his freshman year of HS-Very into ROTC
A 4yo that will be attending some type of preschool

My grandmother lives with us during the school year she is 72yo and VERY active (I think her real age is 32Yo, I can't keep up with her)

Great Schools
Beach
Low crime
Lots of Family things to do
Small town feel, but close to a city (maybe 30/45 min)

We were looking at New Port Richey, then came on here and read all the posts I am at a loss now.
We are coming out next month (Aug) to drive around and check out as may towns as we can.

Thanks to everyone in advance
Ponte Vedra , Florida ... thirty miles South of Jacksonville , actually anywhere in St.Johns County .. or Dunedin , Florida a great little town North of Clearwater and West of Tampa ... two great places to live .

I live in Parkland and used to live in Weston two of the nicer places in South Florida .... but if I could I would live in either Ponte Vedra or Dunedin .
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-06-2009, 08:26 AM
 
2,113 posts, read 4,425,885 times
Reputation: 914
Quote:
Originally Posted by rusty78 View Post
My wife and I have been looking into Florida as well...over the last several years...we have ruled out several areas...and our next trip will be to the Sarasota area...from what we have heard...this might be it...fits all our needs...and I think if you look into it...it will fit your's as well...

Sarasota is very nice and there is a master planned community called Lake Wood Ranch which is superb .
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-06-2009, 08:28 AM
 
2,113 posts, read 4,425,885 times
Reputation: 914
Quote:
Originally Posted by compelled to reply View Post
Your easy! I hope someone can chime in about the many spots in the Panhandle and northern Florida (although I know somebody who moved up towards Okaloosa County and is really enjoying it for his family, and I think St. Augustine area has what you are looking for), but on the central to south peninsula, you have...

Gainesville
Seminole County (Oviedo, Lake Mary, Winter Springs, Longwood, Altamonte Springs, Casselberry, etc).
Brevard County area, like areas surrounding Melbourne
Oldsmar
Safety Harbor
Palm Harbor
Dunedin
Stuart and Martin County area
Jupiter/Tequesta/ northern Palm Beach County
Good post and yes all very nice , safe towns and cities ... I left out the South Florida towns but yes Stuart , Tequesta , Juno Beach and Palm Beach Gardens are excellent .
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-06-2009, 10:48 AM
 
4 posts, read 7,693 times
Reputation: 10
Thank you everyone for your input. You are all wonderful!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-06-2009, 11:27 AM
 
Location: Palm Coast FL
1,209 posts, read 2,101,312 times
Reputation: 1585
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tera View Post
We were looking at New Port Richey, then came on here and read all the posts I am at a loss now.
I love living in Palm Coast. Please don't base your decision on the opinions on this board. So many here HATE Palm Coast, but I love it. Everyone has their own views and yours may be very different.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-06-2009, 12:00 PM
 
4 posts, read 7,693 times
Reputation: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheepie2000 View Post
I love living in Palm Coast. Please don't base your decision on the opinions on this board. So many here HATE Palm Coast, but I love it. Everyone has their own views and yours may be very different.
Sheepie- you are 100% right, I was up reading these posts till all hours of the night. What I can see if that there is a lot of negativity about FL on this site. And I am very thankful for the few and far between posts/threads with valuable (positive) info on Fl. Thank you for your input, we will go back to looking at Palm Coast
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 10:12 PM.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top