Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-06-2009, 11:55 PM

7,511 posts, read 22,816,632 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by daytonadewd View Post
As I said, a tall order. I was focused on the "laid back liberal" aspect and figured they could inquire about the schools, where their kids would also be socialized. To me the conservative aspect is important as many of the better schools in Florida are not considered liberal and will affect their socialization.

All of the areas I mentioned have the resources requested in or nearby. Key Largo is within an hour of world class facilities, UofM and services in Miami. Stetson U is in DeLand and UofF is near St Augustine. Delray has FAU. Don't know if you can touch a home in the main area of Boca for $350 or not now (or if you end up in Pompano, which is definately not what they're asking for).

Am also familiar with Pine View in Sarasota, which is an excellent program. However I also totally agree that Sarasota is mostly conservative and retirement age community (as a sweeping generalization) and the AGENT forgot to mention if Sarasota County went for Obama or McCain? (We can post it later if she doesn't)

Also note I live in Daytona Beach and made an honest recommendation, instead of a sell.
I'm just stating my opinion like everyone else has. I don't need to sell Sarasota county. It sells itself.

Since you asked the election results were 102650 for McCain and 102413 for Obama. Looks pretty evenly split-just like I stated. TBO.com | Election Results | U.S. President - Sarasota County (http://www2.tbo.com/election-results/2008/county/sarasota-county---presidential/ - broken link)

The average age in Sarasota county is 41. That's not retirement age in my book. http://www.city-data.com/city/Sarasota-Florida.html

Again, I think it fits their requirements perfectly and it seems other people are of the same opinion.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-07-2009, 07:52 AM

17,452 posts, read 38,829,694 times
Besides the political leanings, when the OP referred to being "laid-back liberal", I take that to mean they are like me and hubby - we have a live-and-let-live attitude, enjoy the environment, art and intellectual pursuits, appreciate a cosmopolitan and eclectic vibe, organic and good food, etc.

Also, regarding Sarasota being all old - nothing could be further from the truth. Twenty years ago it was - today we have people of all ages, more young people than ever. Besides we have THREE COLLEGES HERE. Yes, they are small, but there are young people all over, and these are SMART and hip young people too. Ringling College of Art and Design is one of the most highly acclaimed design colleges in the country. And our liberal college "New College" is as well, and is also considered somewhat a "hippie" college. Add to all this we have a circus heritage and an Amish village, and you have a highly eclectic, quirky, wonderful town that is a great place to live. Anyone who has read these forums for any length of time will find that Sarasota has the most positive comments of anywhere in Florida. The only negative, as many of us have said before, is the lack of jobs right now. Anyone who can clear that hurdle will have it made here.

Yes, only my opinion, but as a Florida native, I love the Gulf Coast far more than the Atlantic Coast, and for me this is the best spot on the Gulf Coast.

Old 07-07-2009, 03:52 PM

8,377 posts, read 30,783,258 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by daytonadewd View Post
As I said, a tall order. I was focused on the "laid back liberal" aspect and figured they could inquire about the schools, where their kids would also be socialized. To me the conservative aspect is important as many of the better schools in Florida are not considered liberal and will affect their socialization.

All of the areas I mentioned have the resources requested in or nearby. Key Largo is within an hour of world class facilities, UofM and services in Miami. Stetson U is in DeLand and UofF is near St Augustine. Delray has FAU. Don't know if you can touch a home in the main area of Boca for $350 or not now (or if you end up in Pompano, which is definately not what they're asking for).

Am also familiar with Pine View in Sarasota, which is an excellent program. However I also totally agree that Sarasota is mostly conservative and retirement age community (as a sweeping generalization) and the AGENT forgot to mention if Sarasota County went for Obama or McCain? (We can post it later if she doesn't)

Also note I live in Daytona Beach and made an honest recommendation, instead of a sell.
FAU is acutally in Boca, not Delray. Pompano is also not too close to Boca (not far though, but Boca is huge and if anything you would much more likely end up in Deerfield or Delray) and 350k is the average going rate for a 3 bedroom home in the area west of US1. I would personally pick Sarasota over Boca as far as where I would live and think that all of those cities mentioned are great places to live, but I just feel that Boca meets the OP's criteria exceptionally well compared to other parts of Florida. It's the only area I can think of that met ALL of the OP's criteria.

Old 07-07-2009, 06:16 PM

7,511 posts, read 22,816,632 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gypsychic View Post
Besides the political leanings, when the OP referred to being "laid-back liberal", I take that to mean they are like me and hubby - we have a live-and-let-live attitude, enjoy the environment, art and intellectual pursuits, appreciate a cosmopolitan and eclectic vibe, organic and good food, etc.

Also, regarding Sarasota being all old - nothing could be further from the truth. Twenty years ago it was - today we have people of all ages, more young people than ever. Besides we have THREE COLLEGES HERE. Yes, they are small, but there are young people all over, and these are SMART and hip young people too. Ringling College of Art and Design is one of the most highly acclaimed design colleges in the country. And our liberal college "New College" is as well, and is also considered somewhat a "hippie" college. Add to all this we have a circus heritage and an Amish village, and you have a highly eclectic, quirky, wonderful town that is a great place to live. Anyone who has read these forums for any length of time will find that Sarasota has the most positive comments of anywhere in Florida. The only negative, as many of us have said before, is the lack of jobs right now. Anyone who can clear that hurdle will have it made here.

Yes, only my opinion, but as a Florida native, I love the Gulf Coast far more than the Atlantic Coast, and for me this is the best spot on the Gulf Coast.
I couldn't leave rep points but just wanted to say-nice post

I believe The Princeton Review voted New College as the most liberal college in the US. It was also voted the most Birkenstock wearing, clove smoking, hippie college in the US by the Princeton Review.

I know a few of the professors over at New College and they're some of the coolest, laid-back, well rounded people.

Old 07-14-2009, 12:49 PM

7 posts, read 17,013 times
Default Pinellas County

Hi!

Saw your post and would like to add my 2 cents. I live in the Largo/ Seminole area of Pinellas and grew up here. It is really nice and laid back and has everything you need. There are great parks, libraries, malls, grocery stores, music, restaurants, etc. There are a lot of retirees, but also a lot of families.

Old 07-16-2009, 08:25 AM

593 posts, read 1,906,870 times
i am an educator in boca, and have been relegated to living in pompano. it isn't the end of the world, as i am flat on the beach, but it isn't artsy liberal culture either. but think twice about assuming you will get a job at fau. they are cutting programs in such a way that even people who have been lined up for jobs for years are finding themselves unemployed. times are very tough here for education jobs unless you are going to teach in the public k-12 schools, and the lad off people from fau are filling the education department getting certified to do that.

after ten years of teaching at the university level, i am relegated to online teaching, which i hate. but there's NOTHING in upper level humanities teaching available. NOTHING

Old 07-16-2009, 10:22 AM

85 posts, read 252,686 times
Not many musea in S-Florida (Miami-Dade area).
There are some in Downtown Miami, Fort Lauterdale might have everything except a museum, they say Tampa's a nice place too!

Old 07-16-2009, 10:28 AM

3,043 posts, read 7,674,595 times
It's not near the beach, but Gainesville might fit the bill.

Old 07-29-2009, 05:53 PM

19 posts, read 62,888 times
Thank you everyone. I'm going to check out the areas you have suggested. I am especially interested in Sarasota, because gypsychic hit the nail on the head with what I meant by laid back liberal. Thanks again!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida