Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-16-2009, 09:31 PM

11,486 posts, read 15,241,493 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by berryjuice4life View Post
The bottom line here is, if people dont like it then leave and dont go back, and stop talking crap about how much u hate it and WHY everyone else should too...I MEAN hello people really really do love living there..despite what u people may think....that goes for anywhere....your entitled obviously to have an opinion but that is just YOUR not u persay in "general" opinion and that is ok, but dont ruin it for others who want to go back, people move there for alot of reasons which I feel do not have to be justified to anyone especially on a message board...

and instead of complaining all the time, move on....
Amen!

If half those people would stop spending time on here whining and work towards leaving maybe just maybe they would have a happier life.

I have read many post they cannot make enough money to move out, this is flat out BULL.

When you sit on a forum for hours, have a computer, pay the connection fees you could have worked several hours a day earning enough money to move out.

Guess they don't want to move out or they would not be here whining all the time, instead they could be finding ways to get enough money together to move.

But then again everyone is paying thousands of dollars to Van Lines to move them out!!!! when they cannot scrape enough money together to do anything else.

Old 03-16-2009, 09:33 PM

910 posts, read 2,314,926 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunny-Days90 View Post
Amen!

If half those people would stop spending time on here whining and work towards leaving maybe just maybe they would have a happier life.

I have read many post they cannot make enough money to move out, this is flat out BULL.

When you sit on a forum for hours, have a computer, pay the connection fees you could have worked several hours a day earning enough money to move out.

Guess they don't want to move out or they would not be here whining all the time, instead they could be finding ways to get enough money together to move.

But then again everyone is paying thousands of dollars to Van Lines to move them out!!!! when they cannot scrape enough money together to do anything else.
You still haven't answered my question, if you love FL so much, then why haven't you moved down here yourself? And by the way, you too are whining about people who are whining...

Old 03-16-2009, 09:52 PM

11,486 posts, read 15,241,493 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ngrome View Post
You still haven't answered my question, if you love FL so much, then why haven't you moved down here yourself? And by the way, you too are whining about people who are whining...
Do not remember your question and who are you do demand me answer you?

Now, we are making plans to move to Florida, unlike some people we will do our research first and not make a hasty move and then blame everyone and everything for our mistakes.

We are in no hurry as we know what is waiting for us. We will not make a stupid move and not make good choices.

Just for your information we have to stay here because my mother in law has lung cancer and is taking treatments, we would never leave with her in that condition.

If she did not have lung cancer we would be working on moving as soon as we could. She is the only reason we are still here.

By they way, we lived in Florida for a short time in the mid 80's and caved into our families wanting us to come back, in our early 20's then we felt they were right and moved back. What a mistake! Although we both have large families and have enjoyed them, we have given up a lot of things we like to do in 20 years, like scuba diving, being on the ocean, being warm and tons more things Florida has to offer.

We will not allow our kids to continue to grow up here, they enjoy the same things we do and by gosh we are going to make sure they get to do the things we gave up.

Do not worry, when the time is right we will be there in Florida. Count on it!

Old 03-17-2009, 11:13 PM

910 posts, read 2,314,926 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunny-Days90 View Post
Do not remember your question and who are you do demand me answer you?

Now, we are making plans to move to Florida, unlike some people we will do our research first and not make a hasty move and then blame everyone and everything for our mistakes.

We are in no hurry as we know what is waiting for us. We will not make a stupid move and not make good choices.

Just for your information we have to stay here because my mother in law has lung cancer and is taking treatments, we would never leave with her in that condition.

If she did not have lung cancer we would be working on moving as soon as we could. She is the only reason we are still here.

By they way, we lived in Florida for a short time in the mid 80's and caved into our families wanting us to come back, in our early 20's then we felt they were right and moved back. What a mistake! Although we both have large families and have enjoyed them, we have given up a lot of things we like to do in 20 years, like scuba diving, being on the ocean, being warm and tons more things Florida has to offer.

We will not allow our kids to continue to grow up here, they enjoy the same things we do and by gosh we are going to make sure they get to do the things we gave up.

Do not worry, when the time is right we will be there in Florida. Count on it!
I'm sorry to hear about your mother in law, I have family members I lost to cancer so I know what you're going through. But I was prompted to ask to give you a taste of your own medicine because some of your posts I found contentious when you yourself don't know the situations certain people are in. For example, paraphrasing, "you must not have skills that employers have to offer" for those who can't find jobs, or "people who are miserable in FL should get out, having no money is no excuse". Those are not your exact words, but look at your posts, I cited them. If you have problems finding your posts which sound that way, let me know, I'll find them for you.

Just like I asked you why you haven't moved to FL yet, then don't judge those who don't like it in FL as if they can pick up and move themselves that quickly. They too will need time, either to find jobs, sell their homes, or save up for the move. In the meantime, they are coping just like the rest of us are, and if they need to bash where they live to cope, then by gosh, go at it, here's the hammer. And if you want to counter, then go at it, let this vicious cycle continue.

I asked in another post, if everyone posted that everything is great about FL, then this would be a lovefest and either a very boring board or no reason to exist to post their opinions, but the reality is, even long before I got here, there's always people who will have a negative opinion of FL, and they will voice it. I don't see people blaming you or anyone for that matter of their displeasure with FL, I believe they're just voicing their opinions, and you tend to take it personally. If they say something bad about FL, what are you being blamed for their problems? I don't get the correlation...

This thread can be closed as far as I'm concerned if we get too personal of each other, or if I get banned I could care less, I think I'm spending too much time here anyways when I could be doing something more constructive.

BTW, as I get older or members of my family do, I found it more important than ever to be close to family. While you're wherever you are, you can always vacation down here and do those activities (scuba, swim, surf, ocean, etc.), unless you like to do them on a daily or weekly basis, then I see why you would want to move. I feel the same way but opposite with my kids, I would not want them to plant their roots here, so hopefully they'll find jobs up north when they're done with school. As before, to each his/her own.

Old 03-18-2009, 03:27 AM

5,643 posts, read 9,594,961 times
It is now 3 AM. I got up this early to see my daughter off who is moving back to NY. I couldn't take off from work to go with her to the airport. My husband took her.

I thought I would be crying my eyes out seeing her go, but I didn't. Although I am very sad that she is gone, I want the best for her and I know deep down that living here is not the best for her. Yes, it took the edge off slightly for me to have her living in Florida, but it still made no real difference in how I feel about Florida. Yes, she was financially better off in Florida, but sometimes that is not enough. Money cannot buy you everything there is in life.

I am letting her go so she can have a better life. It is really horrible to be so far away from her and her sister, but they are doing what it best for them and that makes me happy. I am comforted with the thought that SOMEDAY will be all be together.

Old 03-18-2009, 09:34 AM

2,763 posts, read 6,736,695 times
All it proved Mike was that not as many people were going to Florida for what ever reason, but I'm sure the thousands who chose not to come, didn't decide to get on this forum and say how bad it sucked in Florida therefore they would never consider moving here again.

Here's the thing guys - life anywhere is really what you make of it! The fact that you can let the surrounding around you that are clearly not deplorable make you into a bitter person, shows signs of all sorts of other problems that are being masked by the whole "I hate the place I live, I'm miserable" thing. I know that Florida is not everyones paradise but to say the homes are not pretty and the lawns and pools and all that implies are not nice, makes one think you would find University Ave in the Bronx appealing. Come on nice is nice! You don't have to say that Florida is not nice because you like another place better. What are the issues with this. Why do so many people feel they have to like one place and have no room for another and if someone else dares disagree, they are put into the ground!

I didn't like Orlando at all, NOT AT ALL, but I didn't have in my head the whole state sucked! That would be like someone going to East New York and saying all of NY sucked! Every person in NY would be all over that saying all of NY is not like that, blah, blah, blah. Oh and yes, it is okay for Tan to dislike Florida, the problem really lies when she likes to debate people that their preference is clearly the minority and that her feelings are the majority and then goes on and on about the heat. Say you hate hot, not because it is hot the whole state sucks. I mean if my husband knew I hated heat that much I think he would consider other places for work, but maybe that was telling a tale itself.

Old 03-18-2009, 09:40 AM

2,763 posts, read 6,736,695 times
You know Tan - this is the human side of you and it seems very vulnerable. You seem to ignore every post I send you that basically explains, I understand what you're feeling and I'm unsure why, but anyway. I want to ask you seriously, does your husband want to move back to NY?

Old 03-19-2009, 03:25 PM

592 posts, read 1,807,250 times
Phew, I began reading these forums a week or so ago, because my husband and I (60 yrs. old) are trying to decide "what to do with the rest of our lives" and where to do it. We're NYers who snow birded to Naples for a few winters and then moved here full-time three years ago and found it very different living here full-time. I began reading this particular thread because moving back to NY is one of the options we throw around (along with just staying in Southwest FL, or moving to the Tampa area. I have a medical problem that more or less limits where we can live--near kidney transplant doctors and good dialysis centers.) Anyway, the thought of regretting a move back to NY does come to mind sometimes, as much as I do miss it up there. These threads sure do get off topic quickly!!! But, I'm getting an education about all sorts of things. And do appreciate those who have answered the original poster's question. Thanks everyone.

Old 03-19-2009, 03:57 PM

5,643 posts, read 9,594,961 times
Default He want to RETIRE back to NY

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chelsa1075 View Post
You know Tan - this is the human side of you and it seems very vulnerable. You seem to ignore every post I send you that basically explains, I understand what you're feeling and I'm unsure why, but anyway. I want to ask you seriously, does your husband want to move back to NY?
We have a few more years. It seems like an eternity. I don't know if I can make it that long. I have 4 years and I will get a State of Florida Pension, IF that is around in that amount of time.

He said to his friend in NY on the phone the other day, "She dislikes it here as much as me." That is putting it mildly. Maybe he knows, but is in denial about how I really feel. Just as he was in denial about how our older daughter felt about living here too. Money tends to cloud his judgment, but money is not the be all and end all of everything. Sometimes he just cannot read between the lines in what people are really feeling and saying.

Chelsea, you never mention thatI lived here before and left because I didn't like it after 6 months. That was also in a completely different area of Florida than where I am now. Do you have any idea what it is like to have to come back to a place you don't want to be? Plus, to find out that the place you are in now is even more extreme than the place you used to live in? I thought I could ignore it and put up with it for a few years. It is very, very difficult to just ignore the heat, humidity, tourists, snowbirds, and retirees of SW Florida. It is not just so alien a place to NY, but hell, it is even alien to Central Florida.

Last edited by TANaples; 03-19-2009 at 05:04 PM..

Old 03-19-2009, 05:04 PM

1,377 posts, read 4,194,715 times
Moved to Texas about a year ago, but had to move back since the value of my condo dropped about 50%. I figure I'll just stay in FL for a few years and get the rest of it paid off and try to make the move back to TX. I don't have any family here but I got alot of friends and contacts here. Where I live it is just so much slower than Dallas, got accustomed to the pace of Dallas. The people there just seem so much more professional and I got some contacts in Dallas now too and family. Hopefully I can pay off my property here faster than I think. Also getting a decent paying job in TX seems so much easier.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida