Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-09-2009, 02:33 PM

10 posts, read 35,876 times

Advertisements

Okay, well I've been looking into Sarasota, but Southside Village doesn't seem right for me. Any other suggestions?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-09-2009, 04:04 PM

7,511 posts, read 22,912,465 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by i♥florida View Post
Okay, well I've been looking into Sarasota, but Southside Village doesn't seem right for me. Any other suggestions?
I think it might be hard to find what you're looking for in your price range. Usually the historical homes are pretty pricey. I dunno...maybe somewhere in the Tampa area.

You should use this website for your searching http://www.myfloridahomesmls.com/ It's the public side of MLS for this area. Many of the homes you see on Realtor.com are often pending by the time you see them.

Good luck with it

Old 07-09-2009, 04:23 PM

We also want somewhere safe.... I don't know if Tampa is that safe though....

Old 07-09-2009, 04:45 PM

17,533 posts, read 39,105,017 times
Quote:
Well, our price range would probably be around 140,000, our family loves old houses, schools are very important, and we like old towns, too. If we could find a house close enough to ride a bike to the beach, it would be awesome. And maybe a pool in the backyard? Hope I helped.
This is not possible in Sarasota. There are homes in that price range, but not with a pool or area you probably want to live. You did not say if you need to work? If so, you probably need to choose a town where there is employment. Then revise your "wish list" in your price range. Some of the inland towns will be a lot more reasonable if you don't have to be close to the beach. You could check out Lakeland - it has a lot of vintage charm and old homes near the lakes, I believe you could get something neat in your price range, but not with a pool.

Good luck!

Old 07-09-2009, 11:44 PM

501 posts, read 1,881,585 times
I think Florida is out of your reach: 140K, Possible Pool; Good Schools; Gulf Beaches, etc.

There would definately be properties that suit your budget, but the schools and neighborhoods would be very disappointing/creepy for kids.

You have received some excellent recommendations, but I think you need to be more flexible considering your budget (Gulf Coast vs Atlantic). Especially if you want a historical house in this price range. Aside from some freak foreclosure sale, you will probably also have to build the pool later.

Another consideration would be home or private schooling in these affordable areas for you.

Best bets for affordable areas on the Gulf Coast would be Punta Gorda, Venice, Englewood and Tarpon Springs north to the Panhandle. You definately could find your dream home there in this market, but not the schools for your kids, as a general rule of thumb.

Good Luck!

Old 07-10-2009, 07:51 AM

6,853 posts, read 22,450,255 times
Maybe a townhouse might be her budget???? OP, not sure if you already mentioned this, but you really should rent for year first. This way you get to know the neighborhoods better.

Old 07-10-2009, 09:32 AM

13,258 posts, read 22,822,968 times
The metro parts of the Panhandle are actually some of the more expensive areas in the state these days. There wasn't the massive overbuilding to the level you got in the peninsula, and prices have crashed less than they have in other parts of the state.

According to last month's FAR numbers, Ft. Walton Beach had the second highest median sales prices for single family homes in the state after Boca-West Palm, for all that it's utterly bizarre to think of that area as more expensive than Ft. Lauderdale or Sarasota.

Old 07-10-2009, 09:47 AM

Okay people, just drop the pool idea. Everyone can wish.

Old 07-10-2009, 01:45 PM

Okay, so here's the deal. I want a house close to the Gulf of Mexico, for about 140,000, because that's what our historical house would probably go for. We would prefer a historical house, in a safe town with good schools. We don't want to rent the house, we want to buy it. And there would have to be a job available. Get it? Got it? Good.

Old 07-10-2009, 03:30 PM

17,533 posts, read 39,105,017 times
Quote:
Okay, so here's the deal. I want a house close to the Gulf of Mexico, for about 140,000, because that's what our historical house would probably go for. We would prefer a historical house, in a safe town with good schools. We don't want to rent the house, we want to buy it. And there would have to be a job available. Get it? Got it? Good.
Well, with that attitude, don't expect a lot of help . Get it? Got it? Good!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida