U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 07-08-2009, 07:36 PM
 
Location: Warner Robins, GA
917 posts, read 2,285,141 times
Reputation: 446

Advertisements

I reserve the finger for certain occasions... If you cut me off where I have to slam on my brakes or do something common like fly past me, get in front of me and slam on the brakes while I am coming up to a stoplight I am giving you the finger...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 07-08-2009, 07:49 PM
 
Location: The Shires
2,257 posts, read 1,814,016 times
Reputation: 1050
Depends what part of FL you're talking about. In South Florida, drivers are maniacs, while in other parts of FL, driving is a doddle and a pleasure.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-08-2009, 07:59 PM
 
552 posts, read 448,087 times
Reputation: 148
Quote:
Originally Posted by tercel95 View Post
I reserve the finger for certain occasions... If you cut me off where I have to slam on my brakes or do something common like fly past me, get in front of me and slam on the brakes while I am coming up to a stoplight I am giving you the finger...
Yes, I am certainly not saying only jerks do that - I've done it in instances like you mentioned above. I'm saying I've seen people give another the finger over absolutely nothing - those people are jerks.

I got the finger last week from a guy on the 408 in Orlando. He was trying to merge onto the highway, so being the nice FL native that I am, I moved from the right lane to the left which allowed him to easily merge onto the highway. Well, he tried to jump in front of me in the left lane and cut me off (WTF? I just let this guy on and he does this to me?)... so I threw up my hands like "dude, what was that all about?" He then gave me the finger. Welcome to the new FL. It didnt used to be like this, and people actually wonder why natives are leaving?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-08-2009, 08:11 PM
 
Location: The Shires
2,257 posts, read 1,814,016 times
Reputation: 1050
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scientifical Madness View Post
Yes, I am certainly not saying only jerks do that - I've done it in instances like you mentioned above. I'm saying I've seen people give another the finger over absolutely nothing - those people are jerks.

I got the finger last week from a guy on the 408 in Orlando. He was trying to merge onto the highway, so being the nice FL native that I am, I moved from the right lane to the left which allowed him to easily merge onto the highway. Well, he tried to jump in front of me in the left lane and cut me off (WTF? I just let this guy on and he does this to me?)... so I threw up my hands like "dude, what was that all about?" He then gave me the finger. Welcome to the new FL. It didnt used to be like this, and people actually wonder why natives are leaving?
Driving in Orlando is indeed a b**ch. I've been to Orlando a few times, the first time, back in 1999. Orlando's drivers have seemingly become more and more aggressive over the last 10 years or so. They're not quite as bad as drivers in Miami, but I've experienced more than my fair share of driving hell in the Orlando area (the dozens of toll booths and "lost" tourists don't help matters either).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-08-2009, 08:19 PM
 
552 posts, read 448,087 times
Reputation: 148
^^^ Orlando is slowly (or should I say quickly) creeping up there towards Miami in terms of terrible and rude drivers. You're right, 10 yrs ago - driving in Orlando was NOTHING like it is now.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-08-2009, 08:39 PM
 
Location: The Shires
2,257 posts, read 1,814,016 times
Reputation: 1050
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scientifical Madness View Post
^^^ Orlando is slowly (or should I say quickly) creeping up there towards Miami in terms of terrible and rude drivers. You're right, 10 yrs ago - driving in Orlando was NOTHING like it is now.
What changed? The first time I visited Orlando was as a tourist and the city was pretty easy as pie to drive in. Fast forward 10 years later and Orlando is getting to the stage where it is almost Miami II, in terms of aggressive/a--hole drivers. In fact, if anything, I noticed that speeding there is quite possibly worse than Miami.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-08-2009, 09:35 PM
 
552 posts, read 448,087 times
Reputation: 148
^^^ What changed? The type of people has changed for one. Look at who is moving out of Orlando and who is moving in... a lot of undesirables came to FL trying to get rich in real estate, a lot of people from big NE cities (not you BCreass, but we have a lot of bad apples) who bring their driving habits and attitudes with them, and then the traffic and congestion certainly doesnt help out.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-08-2009, 09:52 PM
 
Location: The Shires
2,257 posts, read 1,814,016 times
Reputation: 1050
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scientifical Madness View Post
^^^ What changed? The type of people has changed for one. Look at who is moving out of Orlando and who is moving in... a lot of undesirables came to FL trying to get rich in real estate, a lot of people from big NE cities (not you BCreass, but we have a lot of bad apples) who bring their driving habits and attitudes with them, and then the traffic and congestion certainly doesnt help out.
I think you've hit the nail on the head. It's not about bad drivers....it's the bigger picture. Speaking of Miami, I feel that the city has attracted a lot of very self-absorbed people who clearly don't care about anyone else but themselves, so the way they drive is just a reflection of their personalities. I don't buy the "everyone is different behind the wheel" excuse, because any semi-reasonable person would not drive like a raving lunatic and would at least take a second to consider the safety of other road users and pedestrians.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-08-2009, 11:44 PM
 
1,468 posts, read 4,170,054 times
Reputation: 1071
Quote:
Originally Posted by BCreass View Post
I think you've hit the nail on the head. It's not about bad drivers....it's the bigger picture. Speaking of Miami, I feel that the city has attracted a lot of very self-absorbed people who clearly don't care about anyone else but themselves, so the way they drive is just a reflection of their personalities. I don't buy the "everyone is different behind the wheel" excuse, because any semi-reasonable person would not drive like a raving lunatic and would at least take a second to consider the safety of other road users and pedestrians.
You are giving people more credit then they deserve. Most don't have a clue they even didi anything wrong till they get in an accident. You are reading more into it then is there. Running yellow lights, cutting in and out of traffic, U-turns and so on is the way they drive in general. There is no malice just a naive stupidity. I had a lady turn left in front of me as I was turning left from the left turn lane. She was in the fast lane that went straight. It was only my skill that kept us from getting in an accident. Then she turns into the parking lot of the post office and gets out like nothing happened. I said something to her inside as we were in line. I was pretty rude and told her what she had done. She seemed to not have a clue as she blankly stared at me. What are you going to do, you just have to drive very defensively. I don't think she did what she did because of some personalty flaw or superiority complex. She is an unskilled driver who can't see the the possible consequences of her actions.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-09-2009, 08:07 AM
 
Location: Warner Robins, GA
917 posts, read 2,285,141 times
Reputation: 446
Coming from MD I am completely used to aggressive drivers, I am not one however... I just can't believe that all of the different kinds of bad drivers are all in one place... Its sad I guess that it wasn't like this before but as a whole I think FL is awesome... Drivers aside the people down here are nicer and are completely willing to have a conversation with a complete stranger... Much better than where I am from...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 07:56 AM.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top