Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-17-2009, 08:53 AM

2,764 posts, read 6,766,181 times

Advertisements

Oh lord, what do I have in store for me LOL - I feel like I am going to war everytime I get into the car here - LOL - Maybe the drivers who are bein discourteous are disgruntled NYers who are tired of people thinking they are mean and nasty and are going to give who think are Natives exactly what they are looking for. All jokes aside, I think the driving in both places is pretty reckless. Believe me on this one. I think when you have a place that is just so busy, these things are going to happen. When the population is large there will be more angry drivers on the road. We have angry drivers here from jersey and connecticut and every country in the world. My absolute favorite is when they decide that it is the best time to learn to park! LOVE THAT - can you guys top that one??
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-17-2009, 09:08 AM
NCN

21,663 posts, read 25,630,850 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PalmBch View Post
I'm originally from New Jersey/New York area, and traveled to lots of places in America.
I currently live in Palm Beach, Florida since last year.

I've noticed that the drivers in Florida are bad. They very rarely use turn signals, drive much faster than speed limit, talk on cell phones, and don't pay attention on roads. Roads are excellent with plenty of street lights, many lines etc. I also think that the law should ban talking on cell phone while driving like most other states!
I'm not saying that New Jersey drivers are much better, but at least they use turn signals more often, and cell phone talking prohibited.

Why are Floridians bad drivers!?
Because they come from everywhere else, but we also do not agree with the good roads. We spent last week in Florida and my husband made the statement that we were never going there again and the reason was not the bad roads, but the lack of direction with the road signs. Florida also has some of the rudest drivers we have ever encountered, but most of them are probably from somewhere else in the United States. It is like driving around a military base. People come from many different parts of the country with many different driving rules and they don't bother to find out what the rules are in Florida.

Another statement he made is that some of the people need to learn how to drive. Blowing the horn is not a driving skill. He said, "Every time they blow the horn, they are telling me they don't know how to drive. NASCAR does not have horns on its cars, because they know how to drive."

I agree with your speed, cell phone, and lack of attention.

We came through Jacksonville on 295 and it was raining. You can't do 70 MPH in a heavy rainstorm. The road looked like a demolition derby. We felt lucky to get out of the state alive and we plan to stay out too. I loved the weather in Southern Florida, but it is not worth getting killed for.

Our last day there, I wanted to sightsee, but I left the car at the condo and got on a bus. I'd had it with the rude drivers.

Old 12-17-2009, 09:27 AM

Buses in Florida, I don't think I could ever opt that.

Old 12-17-2009, 09:42 AM

3,769 posts, read 8,801,056 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NCN View Post
Because they come from everywhere else, but we also do not agree with the good roads. We spent last week in Florida and my husband made the statement that we were never going there again and the reason was not the bad roads, but the lack of direction with the road signs. Florida also has some of the rudest drivers we have ever encountered, but most of them are probably from somewhere else in the United States. It is like driving around a military base. People come from many different parts of the country with many different driving rules and they don't bother to find out what the rules are in Florida.

Another statement he made is that some of the people need to learn how to drive. Blowing the horn is not a driving skill. He said, "Every time they blow the horn, they are telling me they don't know how to drive. NASCAR does not have horns on its cars, because they know how to drive."

I agree with your speed, cell phone, and lack of attention.

We came through Jacksonville on 295 and it was raining. You can't do 70 MPH in a heavy rainstorm. The road looked like a demolition derby. We felt lucky to get out of the state alive and we plan to stay out too. I loved the weather in Southern Florida, but it is not worth getting killed for.

Our last day there, I wanted to sightsee, but I left the car at the condo and got on a bus. I'd had it with the rude drivers.
Amen.

Old 12-17-2009, 09:44 AM

8,963 posts, read 8,918,308 times
Where are you from NCN? I actually find the drivers in Jax to be better than those in Orlando and Tampa, and S FL.

Old 12-17-2009, 10:36 AM

12,135 posts, read 16,128,302 times
Yeah, maybe the heat. It fries their brains. In some cases it seems perfectly normal people come here and in a short time they become mentally challenged.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ComSense View Post
Why do you think that is? Do you think the heat makes em crazy down here or something? I wonder why they seem to change when they get to FL (it's funny but not the first time I've heard about it).

Old 12-17-2009, 11:16 AM

8,963 posts, read 8,918,308 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spring Hillian View Post
Yeah, maybe the heat. It fries their brains. In some cases it seems perfectly normal people come here and in a short time they become mentally challenged.

Maybe it's all their old neighbors?

Old 12-17-2009, 11:25 AM

4,895 posts, read 14,140,308 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PalmBch View Post
I'm originally from New Jersey/New York area, and traveled to lots of places in America.
I currently live in Palm Beach, Florida since last year.

I've noticed that the drivers in Florida are bad. They very rarely use turn signals, drive much faster than speed limit, talk on cell phones, and don't pay attention on roads. Roads are excellent with plenty of street lights, many lines etc. I also think that the law should ban talking on cell phone while driving like most other states!
I'm not saying that New Jersey drivers are much better, but at least they use turn signals more often, and cell phone talking prohibited.

Why are Floridians bad drivers!?
Florida has bad drivers because:

#1. Our bad drivers are compromised of non Floridians.

#2. More retired drivers in need of cataract surgery.

#3. On your side of the state, many NY/NJ transplants who couldn't drive any better on route 80 than they're doing on I-95.

Old 12-17-2009, 11:30 AM

they are comprised or compromised by non-floridians? It is so funny how we all play the blame game - how about this? Every state has some really bad drivers, no matter where they are originally from.

Old 12-17-2009, 12:21 PM

12,135 posts, read 16,128,302 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chelsa1075 View Post
they are comprised or compromised by non-floridians? It is so funny how we all play the blame game - how about this? Every state has some really bad drivers, no matter where they are originally from.

Absolutely.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida