U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-08-2009, 09:52 AM

594 posts, read 948,076 times

Advertisements

I'm originally from New Jersey/New York area, and traveled to lots of places in America.
I currently live in Palm Beach, Florida since last year.

I've noticed that the drivers in Florida are bad. They very rarely use turn signals, drive much faster than speed limit, talk on cell phones, and don't pay attention on roads. Roads are excellent with plenty of street lights, many lines etc. I also think that the law should ban talking on cell phone while driving like most other states!
I'm not saying that New Jersey drivers are much better, but at least they use turn signals more often, and cell phone talking prohibited.

Why are Floridians bad drivers!?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-08-2009, 10:39 AM

8,178 posts, read 16,551,943 times
Where are all these "Floridians" from?

I've found that people usually bring their driving habits with them.

Old 07-08-2009, 10:46 AM

831 posts, read 2,148,016 times
I have to disagree I think people bring the good habits with them and then get so accustomed to the way it is here in Florida they just go with the flow.

I agree the roads here are so much better. I haven't hit one pot hole since moving here. You can blame the lights in NJ on Ex Gov Whitman. She ordered they be turned off on the Parkway to conserve energy. Now how stupid was that. You can't see the exits at night and thats why there are so many confused drivers.

Old 07-08-2009, 11:17 AM

2,143 posts, read 7,198,911 times
There are no potholes here, because there is no ice. What I do see is people from the north thinking the speed limit is the same on the highways-55mph. It's not. 55mph is simply to slow on the interstate. I f you aren't at least going the speed limit, get in the right lane. If someone wants to pass, let them by. People routinely drive 80 on the interstates and turnpike, and higher speeds are not uncommon. If those speeds bother you, get over or get off the road.

Old 07-08-2009, 11:20 AM

16,738 posts, read 23,174,179 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lilybeans View Post
There are no potholes here, because there is no ice. What I do see is people from the north thinking the speed limit is the same on the highways-55mph. It's not. 55mph is simply to slow on the interstate. I f you aren't at least going the speed limit, get in the right lane. If someone wants to pass, let them by. People routinely drive 80 on the interstates and turnpike, and higher speeds are not uncommon. If those speeds bother you, get over or get off the road.
I spend a lot of time in FL and I can tell ya, it's not just people from "the North" driving fast.

That said, FL's drivers are no worse than those in NY, NJ, CT, MA or drivers anywhere.

Old 07-08-2009, 12:36 PM

509 posts, read 1,481,921 times
I agree that roads in Florida are among the best we've found in the US.
I don't agree the drivers are the worst. On one vacation we drove from Florida to Californnia and back. We realized we were back in the South when we could find sweet iced tea and the drivers were suddenly more polite.

Old 07-08-2009, 01:37 PM

552 posts, read 447,589 times
[quote=PalmBch;9659386]I'm originally from New Jersey/New York area, and traveled to lots of places in America.
I currently live in Palm Beach, Florida since last year.

I've noticed that the drivers in Florida are bad. They very rarely use turn signals, drive much faster than speed limit, talk on cell phones, and don't pay attention on roads. Roads are excellent with plenty of street lights, many lines etc. I also think that the law should ban talking on cell phone while driving like most other states!
I'm not saying that New Jersey drivers are much better, but at least they use turn signals more often, and cell phone talking prohibited.

Why are Floridians bad drivers!?[/quote]

Because they are all hot tempered residents who moved here from NY/NJ/Philly/Chicago/foreign countries who never driven before. So you got the road raging, impatient, the ignorant, the confused, the clueless, the rude, the blue haired, the college kids, etc.... mix them all up, and you got a big bad mix!

Old 07-08-2009, 01:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Granny Sue View Post
Where are all these "Floridians" from?

I've found that people usually bring their driving habits with them.
^^^ Exactly.

Old 07-08-2009, 01:38 PM

917 posts, read 2,283,908 times
I'm from MD and while the drivers are extremely aggressive they also seem more competent in general.. People down here don't use turn signals, get over at the last minute and then act like they have never seen a middle finger before...

Old 07-08-2009, 01:59 PM

Unfortunately I see people using the finger at times, and usually it's because they are impatient or wanna be driving like they used to on the Jersey turnpike. They are jerks.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida