Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-08-2008, 09:23 PM

1 posts, read 5,282 times

Advertisements

I am from West Palm Beach. I hate them with a passion. I have my feet up right now just reading these posts. Hate them, Afraid of them, Run from them, Scream and cry.
Thats about it.
Lois
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-09-2008, 03:18 AM

112 posts, read 524,115 times
I am moving to St. Augustine.

Are these bug bad up in NE Fl. also of just in the south?

Old 03-09-2008, 07:09 AM

601 posts, read 1,903,750 times
They are also in NW Fl. Absolutely hate them. Ugh!!!!

Old 03-09-2008, 12:42 PM

3,353 posts, read 4,962,065 times
Oh my God those pictures....I never got used to those things, never. I am so creeped out. The asian cockroaches had virtually taken over my neighborhood in St. petersburg. Move some fallen oak leaves around and watch 100 or so of them scatter. AWFUL.

I do not miss those, and I accidently brought some with me to North Carolina in my buckets of garden stuff

Last edited by scorp200; 03-09-2008 at 12:47 PM.. Reason: wrong breed of roach

Old 03-09-2008, 02:01 PM

9 posts, read 56,378 times
Default Water Bugs vs Palmettos

I grew up in the Philadelphia suburbs, and we had the water bugs that another poster referred to. They were big brown bugs that would crawl out from under your sink or refrigerator especially at night, or you would see them if you turned the kitchen light on....they were gross, but not particularly fast, so you or your pet could easily finish them off, but I've seen palmetto bugs while vacationing in Florida...and they are NOT the same thing in my opinion. Palmettos seem to me to be even larger than water bugs, I've never seen a water bug fly, cuz I dont think they have wings, and I've never had to bat a water bug down that was trying to head for my face, or crunch on one on a sidewalk. Those palmetto bugs are HIDEOUS! They make me scream and cry too! LOL...gee, and here I am moving to Florida. EGADS!

Old 03-09-2008, 06:15 PM

8,893 posts, read 4,542,041 times
My exterminator told me they are in the cockroach family,

Old 03-10-2008, 04:14 AM

34 posts, read 166,078 times
Oh man as a kid I loved to tourment newly transplanted neighbours by introducing them to our lovely flying roaches!

Big nasty things up to 3 or 4 inches long that fly and have no fear of anything what so ever. Oh yhea they were a great way to freak people out big time particularly if you knew there was a nest in a near by tree.

I'm a freak so I'm not affraid of them but I know people who've lived in florida all their lives who spazz if they even think they heard one.

You must have everything screened and sealed and make sure there's no moisture too close to your house or anything that's been infected with termites or any dead vegitation around if you wanna keep them out side. I swear some times it seems they're camped outside your door just waitting for you to open up and let them in.

People who like to have those tropical jungle type yards who don't keep up with them have huge problems with all sorts of buggie type things in south florida.

Last edited by Zandrah; 03-10-2008 at 04:27 AM..

Old 03-10-2008, 06:22 AM

14,492 posts, read 26,585,697 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Songbird42 View Post
Along with bugs, love bugs which ruin the paint job on your car, you can enjoy plenty of red ants.........you will have to show your children what a hill of red ants look like and make sure they understand that if they get bit, it will hurt and itch.

One of the many plesant things about Fl.!
make sure to keep dogs away from fire ants! we went to buy a puppy and the man let his dogs stay outside in the extreme heat all day, one was bitten by fire ants, the poor thing. NEVER chain a dog in the Florida heat.

Old 03-10-2008, 06:33 AM

1,451 posts, read 2,488,749 times
honestly I think the roachs/palmetto bugs aren't that bad.. What are you all afraid of? They don't bite or anything. They fly.. thats about it..Honestly its not a big deal and to be so afraid of them you cry is kinda ridiculous imo. Its a harmless bug, yeah they carry diseases but what bug doesn't? Mosquitos carry a very wide variety of diseases yet I don't hear of people crying and screaming when they come into contact with them and they are way more dangerous

Old 04-29-2008, 12:15 PM

19 posts, read 82,725 times
San Diego native getting ready 2 relocate to FL- Clearwater in June and all we have heard from people is " Don’t move to Florida....Are you CRAZY...They have bugs the size of birds that bite " Well been to Florida 3 times and have never seen the "Bugs" they are talking about yet... Have seen the love bugs.... Don't bother me much... the are sometime amusing as the are "Stuck" together and fly funny.... I have spoke with a few natives of FL and they say... Ya it can get a bit much with the bugs and humidity and such....but we like that people are afraid...they STAY AWAY and leave or state to us.... I can relate to that statement as I am sure most of us can... We have earthquakes...but really...Haven't felt a "big one" in 34 years :0)... So I find that the statement " Each to their own " applies here as some don't care...and they say there are worse bugs in other states... and those who say.... If I see 1 I am going to FLIP OUT... soooo Love em or leave em.... Florida has so much more to love then what it may have flying around...... That's my 2 cents
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida