U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-14-2009, 08:32 AM

2,414 posts, read 4,796,581 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Retiredcoach View Post
If one focuses purely on the negatives, there is not a place on this earth that will make you happy. I personally would not move to Florida strictly for avoiding the snow any more than I would move to Ohio strictly for the changing leaves in the fall. Unfortunately, too many expect that a Florida relocation will give them sunshine and beaches to cure all the unhappiness, uncertainty, anger, and discomfort that they have at their current home, but become greatly agitated when reality sets in. Florida and Ohio both have advantages/disadvantages to their settings/amenities. Life goes by too fast, and one needs to live the positives.
People who are running away from problems will have issues anywhere.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-14-2009, 09:49 AM

1,310 posts, read 2,707,427 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by algia View Post
Hubby found this article and it is just awesome, worth reading all 3 pages of it.

Is Florida the Sunset State? - TIME

This couldn't have been described better!
Last year 82.4 million visitors found their way to this lost paradise.

From the article : ' Last year 82.4 million visitors found their way to this lost paradise (Florida) .' Seems like many people still find it to their liking . But reading over the entire article...it seems like the only thing prospering is the Alligator population !

Old 07-14-2009, 10:12 AM

1,303 posts, read 2,665,884 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OrlandoRE_Miracle View Post
People who are running away from problems will have issues anywhere.
There is no question about it; it is all in your perspective.

I was harassing a plumber friend of mine about the ridiculous prices that he charges for playing in the stuff that dirty diapers are made. His comeback to this: "Where you smell the s***, I smell the sweet aroma of money filling my pockets." Enough said....

A perspective needs to be retained when one leaves an area for personal issues that can always get worse, sometimes get better, usually stay the same when he/she leaves an area that one formerly called "home" for the perceived better life.

Old 07-14-2009, 10:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KathyA11 View Post
Considering the fact that the winters will be milder by an incredible magnitude (I'm tired of paying to have the snow shoveled because neither my husband nor I can due to back problems), the cost of living (including property taxes, and a zero state income tax) will be much lower, and we can get a much larger home and piece of property for a fraction of what we pay here in NJ -- you'd better believe I'm focusing on the positives.
Good luck, hopefully you will find the comfort and happiness that you seek and/or are missing in New Jersey.

Old 07-14-2009, 10:45 AM

1,310 posts, read 2,707,427 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Retiredcoach View Post
There is no question about it; it is all in your perspective.

I was harassing a plumber friend of mine about the ridiculous prices that he charges for playing in the stuff that dirty diapers are made. His comeback to this: "Where you smell the s***, I smell the sweet aroma of money filling my pockets." Enough said....
REPLY: Who'd ever think a person could make a decent living off of others excrement ?! It is a rather novel idea.

Old 07-14-2009, 10:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RVlover View Post
REPLY: Who'd ever think a person could make a decent living off of others excrement ?! It is a rather novel idea.
My thoughts exactly.... I had no comeback; the next round was on me!!

Old 07-14-2009, 11:02 AM

2,414 posts, read 4,796,581 times
The ones who come here and end up very unhappy are pretty obvious. Usually, their reasons for moving here are vague. Often, they expect the place they're moving to to be a duplicate of the place they're from, but with palm trees. Whenever I see new threads like "What place in Florida is most like Vermont?" I get the feeling that that poster won't work out very well in this state.

Old 07-14-2009, 11:16 AM

1,468 posts, read 4,158,124 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OrlandoRE_Miracle View Post
The ones who come here and end up very unhappy are pretty obvious. Usually, their reasons for moving here are vague. Often, they expect the place they're moving to to be a duplicate of the place they're from, but with palm trees. Whenever I see new threads like "What place in Florida is most like Vermont?" I get the feeling that that poster won't work out very well in this state.
I think many are running away from something or too something that doesn't exist. It reminds me of my nephews old business. He used to sell used cars. People would come in with a car that was a mess and trade it for a used car that may not have been as good as the car they just traded. Once the car is gone over, repairs done and the car then cleaned up and expertly detailed it is again a desirable car. A car I would dare say the original owner would love to have back if they saw it.

My analogy is in the sense, people need to clean up their lives where they live before running away to an unknown. They may find many of the problems they created themselves and if not addressed will just repeat the same pattern no matter where they live.

Last edited by mango23; 07-14-2009 at 11:47 AM..

Old 07-14-2009, 11:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mango23 View Post
I think many are running away from something or too something that doesn't exist. It reminds me of my nephews old business. He used to sell used cars. People would come in with a car that was a mess and trade it for a used car that may not have been as good as the car they just traded. Once the car ids gone over, repairs done and the car then cleaned up and expertly detailed it is again a desirable car. A car I would dare say the original owner would love to have back if they saw it.

My analogy is in the sense, people need to clean up their lives where they live before running away to an unknown. They may find many of the problems they created themselves and if not addressed will just repeat the same pattern no matter where they live.
Well said!!

Old 07-14-2009, 11:46 AM

54 posts, read 133,645 times
When I opened the link and saw the word "Time" I knew I was going to be in for exagerated "gloom and doom". This is a very large and diverse state. It holds many opportunities and offers many great and diverse life-styles. I see this article as that of negative writer with a negative editor, nothing more.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
View detailed profiles of:
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or