U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-14-2009, 12:11 PM

26,590 posts, read 54,507,702 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaz09 View Post
I never said I was an admin ... I said I was willing to take an admin position for the moment.
Employers aren't looking to hire people overqualified for jobs that are going to split (more than likely without notice) as soon as they find something better. Besides, I'd rather hire a professional, experienced admin that really knows the job than someone who thinks they know how to be a good admin because they have worked in an office.

Quote:
Plus either you didn't explain yourself or the employer was dumb, because if you explain that you aren't a local candidate I'm pretty sure they will tell you up front and not make your waste your time and money flying for an interview that is never going to be yours. Or your just dreaming, Im just saying.
Once I was on the phone with them they would ask where I was working (my address was in Florida, I was working in NJ) and I would be honest, but also explain that because I owned a home there that I could be considered local. I did have a more than a few tell me "never mind" and not even consider interviewing me once they found out I wasn't in the Orlando area at that moment, and I ahd others that the hiring manager wanted to extend the offer but was shot down by a hire up at the very end of the process because I wasn't "local."

Whatever, believe what you want. All I know is that I'm here in Orlando working and well, you're not.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-14-2009, 12:47 PM

34 posts, read 554,088 times
Oh wow your in Orlando working I'm so very happy for you. I hope you're really enjoying yourself.

I am in New York working probably making more then you if you want to get nasty in that way! But I came here for GOOD advise and nice conversation.

So I apologize to the other people that were on this post having friendly chat, for others ignorant comments.

Have a wonderful day!

Old 07-14-2009, 01:14 PM

26,590 posts, read 54,507,702 times
Whatever, good luck to you.

Old 07-14-2009, 01:14 PM

6,561 posts, read 12,874,778 times
Well, I know technology temp firms didn't give a rat's behind where you lived.... Like I said though. NOW they can afford to be choosey I guess...

I haven't turned off my "actively seeking" flags on Monster or Careerbuilder or Dice yet and am still getting the occasional notification from head-hunters in Florida.... So I guess they haven't completely given up on grabbing people from out of state, but I can see where they'd prefer a local candidate if possible.

Old 07-14-2009, 01:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by annerk View Post
Whatever, good luck to you.
Why thank you for your generosity

Old 07-14-2009, 01:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhett_Butler View Post
Well, I know technology temp firms didn't give a rat's behind where you lived.... Like I said though. NOW they can afford to be choosey I guess...

I haven't turned off my "actively seeking" flags on Monster or Careerbuilder or Dice yet and am still getting the occasional notification from head-hunters in Florida.... So I guess they haven't completely given up on grabbing people from out of state, but I can see where they'd prefer a local candidate if possible.

Same here ... whenever something comes it'll come. Just gotta be patient

Old 07-16-2009, 02:23 PM

508 posts, read 984,073 times
Jaz09, don't worry, you'll do fine. I picked up on the tone as well and I wouldn't waste another breath (or keystroke) on further rebuttal to sarcasm... good luck on your search!

Old 07-16-2009, 02:31 PM

Thank you

Old 07-16-2009, 02:48 PM

5,642 posts, read 7,951,728 times
Default Unless you have an obsure technology

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhett_Butler View Post

that they need and want which they cannot find among the general population. Happened to my husband. They found his resume posted on Monster, contacted him, paid him his NY salary, and relocation expenses. You need something that makes you stand out from the crowd.

I applied online before I even moved. They all contacted me. I turned down 2 jobs here. My daughter came down and got a job within a week. When the pink slips came last February, they kept her on after only a month and let go people who had been with them for years.

Other than my husband, my daughter and I don't work in offices. She is in security and I work in education/disabilities. Don't let them tell you it doesn't matter where you are from. All of us have found that coming from NY is a POSITIVE factor in Florida.

It is probably worse now than 5 and 2 years ago when my husband and I got jobs, but it has only been months since my daughter was here. In fact, she was hired in reverse living in Florida and applying to NY. They hired her with a telephone interview alone while she was still living here. I think the bottom line is if you have the qualifications, and especially something that makes you stand out from the crowd, you WILL get hired, WHEREVER.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or