U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-15-2009, 05:14 PM

162 posts, read 581,364 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rural-Maine View Post
I think the sinkhole issues are foremost on my mind over any other potential negatives (hurricanes, bugs, traffic, etc). You can prepare for a hurricane, spray for bugs, deal with traffic, but sinkholes can be sudden and without warning. Debidibly, when you say they've caused significant damage, are you speaking of homes damaged in Royal Highlands, or damage to roads, land, etc? Has sinkhole activity increased recently, perhaps due to all the building activity in the past several years?
In my uneducated opinion, sinkholes have to do with the amout of sand and clay covering the underground limestone and are affected by periods of drought and then heavy rains, maybe even over pumping of underground water. I'm from PA, we had them there too. There have been and will continue to be sinkholes in Florida. I wouldn't let it chase me off from buying here but I wouldn't be without the insurance either. I can think of probably 5 homes in the Royal Highlands with sinkhole damage this year. Royal Highlands is pretty large. No catastrophic collapses that I personally am aware of. I believe there have been more in other areas of Hernando. My mother is in a community in the 34606 area code and there were several near her last year. It happens. We were down a lot of rain, then inundated. Either way, I wouldn't let it chase me off. But I wouldn't be without the insurance. Some people live in their homes for 20 years and then have a sinkhole. I don't worry about it because I know I'm covered, heaven forbid it happens to me. I don't know why people drop it unless they just can't afford it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-16-2009, 06:59 AM

14 posts, read 24,629 times
I have to agree here about the homeowner's insurance. People kept telling me I could get at $1,000 policy. Didn't happen. And I wouldn't drop sinkhole coverage either. Mine expires each year during peak hurricane season too and it seems no one is ever willing to write policies at that time and no one will even talk to you if you aren't due for renewal.

A lot of people don't realize they seem to automatically throw you into the discounted replacment cost thing for personal property. Whatever they call it. In order to get replacement value (and sinkhole coverage) you have to ask for it. It's much more expensive. My home is about the same size and Mike and DebDibly's house and the dwelling insurance is about the same. My personal property value on the insurance is $178K, twice the value Mike listed. I was told it is a percentage of the value of the home. We have 9 rooms, excluding bathrooms. Is there at least $12K worth of stuff in each room, probably. Between replacing the Ethan Allen furniture throughout the house, the wife's china, clothes, etc. I could easily run through that amount

I'm not looking to debate the insurance thing it's just that it's not as easy or cheap as some portray. Don't go by what any one person tells you. Shope around if that is an option - and don't be surprised to hear if folks aren't writing new policies. It happens. I went through something similar with car insurance. I handed them my old policy when I lived up north, said I wanted the same coverage and discovered later that they had taken the "stacking" option off.

Old 07-21-2009, 09:23 PM

8,488 posts, read 17,888,233 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by debidibly View Post
Royal Highlands. They are parked and waiting. You can drive by many homes and see the poles sticking up out of the ground.
I am in the Highlands all the time and while I have seen some I wouldn't say there have been alot.

Old 07-21-2009, 09:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rural-Maine View Post
I think the sinkhole issues are foremost on my mind over any other potential negatives (hurricanes, bugs, traffic, etc). You can prepare for a hurricane, spray for bugs, deal with traffic, but sinkholes can be sudden and without warning. Debidibly, when you say they've caused significant damage, are you speaking of homes damaged in Royal Highlands, or damage to roads, land, etc? Has sinkhole activity increased recently, perhaps due to all the building activity in the past several years?
Over pumping of the ground water combined with the drought has been a big factor with sinkholes.

Most homes that are found to have sinkholes will show settling cracks but the ground cover collapse ones that make the papers where the house is falling in a hole are not near as common. Always better to have the full insurance as Deb mentioned, if you seem some small cracks you can have them come out and check to see if there is a sinkhole and repair as needed.

I may seem a little more nonchalant about sinkholes than others but that could be because i had one at my house i owned in Hudson. Besides the minor (1/16 inch) cracks in my stucco, I noticed noting else. They came out and repaired it and that was it.

I do know people who have had worse and have seen the homes that have fallen into holes so they definitely get worse than I had.

Old 07-21-2009, 09:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimmyGen View Post
My home is about the same size and Mike and DebDibly's house and the dwelling insurance is about the same. My personal property value on the insurance is $178K, twice the value Mike listed. I was told it is a percentage of the value of the home. We have 9 rooms, excluding bathrooms. Is there at least $12K worth of stuff in each room, probably. Between replacing the Ethan Allen furniture throughout the house, the wife's china, clothes, etc. I could easily run through that amount
Not disputing what you are saying but needing $178,000 to replace furniture, electronics and other items I would think is not the norm.

If I put $20,000 towards electronics which would be some pretty nice stuff, another $10,000 for appliances which would be good quality, another $10,000 for clothes and $10,000 for other things like plates, pots, pans, etc. That would still leave me about $40,000 for furniture from my $89,780 in personal property coverage.

Old 07-22-2009, 01:31 PM

14 posts, read 24,629 times
I just saw sinkhole work at the corner of Fulton and Nightengale today (in RH). What happens to the value of these homes? Isn't it difficult to sell? Can new buyer's get homeowner's insurance for these homes?

Old 07-22-2009, 02:03 PM

They are more difficult to sell though I never understood why.

When you have had a sinkhole repaired I think the propbability of getting another is much lower than a house in the area that has not had one yet. You will generally get a bit lower sales price than if you hadn't had one.

You can get insurance and the one i sold had full sinkhole coverage though I have had others tell me they don't cover for sinkholes on a repaired home. That is a question better answered by an insurance expert.

Old 07-22-2009, 02:19 PM

244 posts, read 612,534 times
yeah, I never understood why a commercial building that is "pretreated" for a sinkhole is more valuable than a home that has been "treated" for one. Go Figure! Although, I must admit, I cringe when I read that a house has been treated. I think it is a mental thing. Plus, with the market as saturated as it is with homes, I would prefer one that has not been treated(or showing signs of settlement).

Old 07-23-2009, 03:31 PM

1,080 posts, read 4,161,768 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Peterson View Post
They are more difficult to sell though I never understood why.

When you have had a sinkhole repaired I think the propbability of getting another is much lower than a house in the area that has not had one yet. You will generally get a bit lower sales price than if you hadn't had one.

You can get insurance and the one i sold had full sinkhole coverage though I have had others tell me they don't cover for sinkholes on a repaired home. That is a question better answered by an insurance expert.

My neighbor was told he didn't have a sinkhole but 37 voids around house, mostly under the pool, his insurance company bought him out because it would have cost $$$ to repair. Investor bought home for $50,000 and he has insurance on this home, don't know how or why. There were never no repairs done, lani is sinking, pool is leaking, just a matter of time I guess.

I have Citizens and I wanted to have my property checked as I am right next door....they told me if they come out and find nothing wrong only settlement that I would have to pay the cost of them coming out approx. $5,000. Doesn't sound right.

Old 09-06-2009, 02:49 PM

5 posts, read 11,319 times
We just put in an offer for a home in Royal Highlands and since it is a short sale, we may have a long wait to see if they accept. While waiting, I was wondering if someone could tell me more about the neighborhood and such. Trash pickup, I see trash cans out so what company do they use or is it the city and do we pay them monthly? Wells... how is the quality of the water? I have heard that there has been a problem with pigmy rattlers, is this a big issue? Many of the homes we looked at had been vandalized and/or robbed of air conditioners and appliances. The realtor said this was last year and nothing going on now but I find that hard to believe, anyone know? Does anyone use a lawn service and what does that usually cost?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida