U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-06-2009, 04:06 PM

1,080 posts, read 4,162,385 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mhmama View Post
We just put in an offer for a home in Royal Highlands and since it is a short sale, we may have a long wait to see if they accept. While waiting, I was wondering if someone could tell me more about the neighborhood and such. Trash pickup, I see trash cans out so what company do they use or is it the city and do we pay them monthly? Wells... how is the quality of the water? I have heard that there has been a problem with pigmy rattlers, is this a big issue? Many of the homes we looked at had been vandalized and/or robbed of air conditioners and appliances. The realtor said this was last year and nothing going on now but I find that hard to believe, anyone know? Does anyone use a lawn service and what does that usually cost?
Waste Management of Pasco is the garbage hauler, two pickups a week, with weekly curb recycling, days vary in each neighborhood. Cost $30.69 every three months. Lawn service varies also, I have a guy $50.00 a month he mows every week, then in Nov. and beyond its varies according to grass growth, around Christmas the grass goes dormant, but I still pay $50.00 a month. Pest control for chinch bugs and such, vary also, Middletown is like $75.00 every other month, you can call around to get the best price, but it does add up. Driveways get moldy, so you might have to pressure wash once a year, another $$$$ or you can rent from Home Depot and do it yourself. All the joys of living in Florida.

I wouldn't believe what your realtor is saying as they want to sell homes, these type of things are still going on, home across street from me has been empty over 1 yr. and the kids got in there and vandalized the place, back door didn't lock and no one fixed it, easy for them to get into. Good luck!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-07-2009, 07:23 AM

5 posts, read 11,322 times
Thank you Songbird42, I appreciate the help. Have to ask,...what is Middletown?

Old 09-07-2009, 10:06 AM

8,488 posts, read 17,891,847 times
Middleton Pest Control, that is who I use also. 1-866-FLA-FROG

For garbage you can also use Seaside, the cost is $34.50 a quarter.

Water quality will vary from house to house. I tested my water and have no issues and it tastes great but I know a few people that have water softners and filters. Just test the water when you get into the home.

As far as the crime, the a/c thefts have dropped off some but are not stopped. The sheriff's office stepped up patrols though the Highlands so that helped a bunch. Crimes of opportunity, lots of vacant homes were a magnet to the theives.

I think there was just a report out that crime was down 17% for the first half of the year compared to the first half of last year.

Old 01-18-2010, 08:50 PM

2 posts, read 6,430 times
I was looking at Royal Highlands a few weeks ago and it looked like most of the homes are foreclosures up there. Can anyone recommend living there and why or did everyone just leave the area?

Old 01-18-2010, 09:14 PM

A few investment companies working with a couple of builders fueled the fires a little promoting great opportunities for investors as the bubble was going up.
One of the requirements was that you could not live in Florida (this kept many from coming and checking out the area). They advertised mainly in NY and Cali.
They were able to work with banks and the people got 5% down loans thinking they would flip and make a 30-40% profit by the time the house was done.
Bubble popped, the investors only had 5% in and many decided to just walk away.

This was a large percentage of the homes built in the Royal Highlands since 2005 and why many went to foreclosure.

The area is a very nice area if you don't mind the semi-rural area, limerock roads, bears, fox, deer etc.

As mentioned earlier crime has mainly been theft of appliances and ac units from vacant homes.

People didn't leave they area, the homes were built but went to foreclosure before the flippers could flip. The whole area was platted in the early 70's and had one small growth spurt years back but didn't start seeing too much other growth until around 2000 or so.

There is a new High School going up that opens next year for most of the Highlands, the Publix Plaza is pretty new. I wouldn't expect any explosion in population though.

If you don't like it that spread out you could look in Woodland Waters, Glen Lakes or a few other areas. I am just south of Glen Lakes and north of the Heather. I wanted a little more land than 1/2 acre or 1 acre lots which is what most of the Highlands is.

Old 03-08-2010, 07:48 PM

2 posts, read 6,430 times
I noticed all of the homes have well water. Does the city have any plans to bring city water to royal highlands and is the well water free from toxins and good enough to drink. I read there is a problem in Spring Hill with arsenic in the water where the homes were built on old farms. I have become very interested in this area as a place to buy. I also noticed there is a water reclamation plant in the highlands. What experience do you have with the water? Thank you.

Old 03-09-2010, 04:06 AM

The areas with the problem are mostly out east of 41 in the Spring Lake area and surrounding areas and it is not every well out there.

Closer towards the coast there were never as many farms and there is not an issue with the water. I have well water and need nothing but a 5 micron filter which gets changed out every 3 months and runs about $4. Some homes will have hard water and may need a softener.

I am sure somewhere down the road they will bring water mains though but most in the area are not pushing for it because we have good water and it would just be an additional cost.

Old 03-11-2010, 08:17 AM

162 posts, read 581,444 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Peterson View Post

The area is a very nice area if you don't mind the semi-rural area, limerock roads, bears, fox, deer etc.

If you don't like it that spread out you could look in Woodland Waters, Glen Lakes or a few other areas. I am just south of Glen Lakes and north of the Heather. I wanted a little more land than 1/2 acre or 1 acre lots which is what most of the Highlands is.
Royal Highlands is a very large area and it is frustrating that it is almost always associated with limestone roads, trailers, wild animals, foreclosure and break ins. Part of Woodland Waters actually is a part of Royal Highlands. And the RH area surrounding Woodland waters is also particularly nice, paved and well maintained. The homes are newer and I believe that the housing prices and assessments are quite different, partly due to the roads being paved is my guess. This area is much more built up and lived in. I can also see a difference in the weekly reports of police activity from one area of RH to the area near WW.

Old 03-11-2010, 08:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by debidibly View Post
Royal Highlands is a very large area and it is frustrating that it is almost always associated with limestone roads, trailers, wild animals, foreclosure and break ins. Part of Woodland Waters actually is a part of Royal Highlands. And the RH area surrounding Woodland waters is also particularly nice, paved and well maintained. The homes are newer and I believe that the housing prices and assessments are quite different, partly due to the roads being paved is my guess. This area is much more built up and lived in. I can also see a difference in the weekly reports of police activity from one area of RH to the area near WW.
I don't see the frustration with it being associated with limerock roads. It is just what is there.

Anyone that associates the area with trailers does not know the area since it is zoned R1C and any manufactured home would have to meet appearance requirements of 2 of the 3 closest homes which basically makes it just as expensive as building a site built home. That is why there are maybe 5 manufactured homes out of the thousands up there and a few of these were there before the zoning change years back.

Wild animals I agree with but see no problem at all with it, in fact I think it is a plus.

There are foreclosures everywhere but at least most of those in the Highlands are new, never lived in and don't stay on the market long because of these factors.

The break ins are almost all on the short sale and foreclosed homes. Just criminals taking advantage of a vacant home in an area of low population density. Hernando County Sheriff has stepped up patrols though and this brought the number of break ins down recently.

You have maybe 15 homes that have a legal description of Royal Highlands but belong to the WW homeowners association and yes, homes in WW and RH Unit 2 and 9 are assessed a little higher because of the paved roads and closer proximity to SR 50.

Old 03-23-2010, 08:57 AM

4 posts, read 11,294 times
Hi I have been looking around this site to find out more about this area - am recently relocated to Florida and am in living in Brooksville. One post you mentioned the Weeki Wachee preserve and also a movie theatre half the cost of the larger ones - what movie theatre and can you share more about Weeki Wachee? Thanks.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida