U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-23-2010, 12:10 PM

8,488 posts, read 17,860,295 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by teresa1115 View Post
Hi I have been looking around this site to find out more about this area - am recently relocated to Florida and am in living in Brooksville. One post you mentioned the Weeki Wachee preserve and also a movie theatre half the cost of the larger ones - what movie theatre and can you share more about Weeki Wachee? Thanks.
The movie theater is Spring Hill 8 Touchstar Cinema off US19 by Timber Pines.

What information are you looking for on Weeki Wachee? The Preserve?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-20-2010, 12:20 PM

2 posts, read 8,589 times
Just curious rural Maine, have you since moved to the area and how are you liking it?

Old 06-25-2010, 08:46 PM

3 posts, read 15,443 times
Hello - My family and I have lived in Royal Highlands for years never once has a neighbor stopped by to say hello -The neighbors are a mix of people mostly from New York. Seems that many homes have been abandoned and neglected over the years.
I would not encourage you to move from a beautiful state of Maine to the Royal Highlands in Hernando County Florida. The dust from the dirt roads and the snakes make this area uninviting to say the least. A very lovely area is Spring Lake or Dade City area are-very nice.
Hope this helps

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rural-Maine View Post
My wife and I have been doing extensive research trying to find an area of Florida suited to our needs and interests. We're in our early 50's, currently living in a rural town in Maine, and live a fairly simple lifestyle. We're looking at Florida as we're tired of the cold, snow, worrying about our heating needs 3/4 of the year, and just the lack of friendliness we've encountered where we're currently at. Although originally from New England, we've lived in several different states to include Texas, Virginia, and North Carolina. So we've experienced extreme heat and humidity, cultural differences, etc. The Brooksville/Royal Highlands/Weeki Wachee area appeals to us as it seems a little off the beaten path, offers some nice properties for sale at very reasonable prices, yet isn't far from amenities such as shopping, restaurants, and beaches. Taxes for many of the properties we've researched are about on par with what we pay for taxes here in Maine. We do have some concerns however which I'm hoping we can find some answers to (and although we've looked at older threads, we were hoping for some updated information).
1. Firstly, can anyone provide some actual figures on what insurance costs are running in this area? We'd be looking at purchasing a home between 1500 to 2000sf, hopefully with a pool (or we'd put one in), on around 1/2 to 1 acre lot.
2. I've read alot about the crime in the Spring Hill area, and although it doesn't seem much worse to me than many other cities of it's size, I'm curious if the crime rate is less in the Royal Highlands/Weeki Wachee/Brooksville area.
3. I know sinkholes are an issue in Hernando County. I've read they are less prevalent north and east of Spring Hill. Is this true?

Any input on the above questions would be most appreciated. My wife and I aren't expecting that we're moving to utopia, but we're hoping Florida will be a nice place for us to settle and call home. Please, no Florida bashers. I know a lot of people have been hurt by the bursting real estate bubble and rising taxes and insurance rates. And although we'll both need to work, she is in the medical profession so should be able to find a job, and I plan on transferring with a major home improvement retailer.

Thanks for your feedback!

Last edited by dori bon; 06-25-2010 at 08:59 PM..

Old 06-25-2010, 08:49 PM

Yes, we have plently of sink holes and loads robberies.
Someone recently stole a gun out a neighbors home.

Old 06-25-2010, 08:50 PM

Yep happens daily

Old 12-02-2011, 09:43 PM

3 posts, read 8,568 times
Could someone tell me why there are so many properties up for sale in the Royal Highland area? I understand the economy is a major factor, but on my block alone there are 6 house and lots for sale.
I was contemplating on buliding on my lot but from the looks of things, I would be the only person in that area.

Old 12-03-2011, 05:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lizsan View Post
Could someone tell me why there are so many properties up for sale in the Royal Highland area? I understand the economy is a major factor, but on my block alone there are 6 house and lots for sale.
I was contemplating on buliding on my lot but from the looks of things, I would be the only person in that area.
Many of those homes are probably Hartland Homes either the Jade or Joanne model.
During the boom Hartland teamed up with a couple of lenders and a real estate firm to promote these as investment homes to people mainly in NY and California but other areas also.
Their advertising basically was telling people the home would be worth 75% more by the time it was done and all they needed was 5% down.
They would do lot and home packages and many of the people did not even visit the area.
When things started crashing, all these people that only had $8-10K into the investment just bailed and let the homes go to foreclosure since they did not have a lot of money into it.
Hundreds of homes that never had a live person living in them have gone through foreclosure. Some other homes are in the mix also going through foreclosure but those investment homes were the biggest share of the foreclosures in the Royal Highlands.

Old 12-03-2011, 05:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lizsan View Post
You could buy another lot in an area that has more homes. I am going to guess that your lot is not in Royal Highlands Unit 2 or 9, and is in unit 1,3,4,5,6,7 or 8.
Unit 2 and 9 are more built up parts of R.H., some of unit 4 and 5 are built up but much of the other units the houses are a bit spread out and where Hartland built a bunch of homes that sit empty.
My suggestion would be to save a lot of money and buy a home that is already built down in unit 2 or 9. You will have more neighbors and pay much less than building on your own lot.
If you do want to build new just pick up a lot in the more populated areas and build there. The lots are dirt cheap right now.

Old 12-03-2011, 02:32 PM

2,359 posts, read 4,469,544 times
It's probablly going to be a long time before that area comes back around. An off ramp off the parkway on to Centralia would have opened that area up nice. It's like no mans land up there.

Old 12-03-2011, 04:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken E View Post
It's probablly going to be a long time before that area comes back around. An off ramp off the parkway on to Centralia would have opened that area up nice. It's like no mans land up there.
Just the way some of us like it
That was what I was looking for when I moved up this way.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida