Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-14-2009, 10:05 AM

1,468 posts, read 4,749,566 times

Advertisements

This kind of stuff creeps me out a little. It sounds like it is quant living in a small town but then you read stuff like this and you have to wonder. I am not a fan for people screwing with my rights. It is one of the things that attracts me to rural living.

Curfew ordinance passes first reading | reading, bonifay, curfew - Local News - ChipleyPaper.com (http://www.chipleypaper.com/news/reading-3813-bonifay-curfew.html - broken link)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-15-2009, 02:00 AM

501 posts, read 1,882,173 times
Everything is relative!

If you live in a larger city, you've got stores open 24 hours and sporting/ events for kids can last until 10pm or in some cases even later (if they want pizza, etc.) Most larger cities have curfews too (did you check if yours does?)

If you live in a small town like this one, I'm sure the sidewalks roll up VERY early, like by 8 or 9pm. So what would a child (especially during the school year) be doing out after 11pm? It would be the same as 2-3am in a larger city. This is not normal.

Curfews are meant to target "bad" parents -- not punish kids. If a child is left to wander the streets at night without parental knowledge, how can the community help the child?

If you also read, there were "exceptions" to not single out regular activities. If a child is brought in, it's the parents who are responsible and have to answer to authorities (because they are minors). If the parents are neglecting their responsibilities to the child, a child can then get help and support to cope, if it doesn't exist for them at home.

To me, this is what "communities" are supposed to do in advocating for those vulnerable who are unble to, i.e. "it takes a village." It is not about violating rights at all.

In a larger town, you get used to noise, traffic, people passing by, etc. It becomes "normal" -- but in a smaller town, these things cause alarm because they are not routine. It gets in their space because it's not familiar.

The answer is how they cope with it when it happens. Certainly the city is full of nut jobs too!

Old 07-15-2009, 07:40 AM

1,310 posts, read 3,051,400 times
Theres alot of advantages to living in a small town . Heres a few : Lyrics: John Mellencamp - Small Town

Old 07-15-2009, 10:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by daytonadewd View Post
Everything is relative!

If you live in a larger city, you've got stores open 24 hours and sporting/ events for kids can last until 10pm or in some cases even later (if they want pizza, etc.) Most larger cities have curfews too (did you check if yours does?)

If you live in a small town like this one, I'm sure the sidewalks roll up VERY early, like by 8 or 9pm. So what would a child (especially during the school year) be doing out after 11pm? It would be the same as 2-3am in a larger city. This is not normal.

Curfews are meant to target "bad" parents -- not punish kids. If a child is left to wander the streets at night without parental knowledge, how can the community help the child?

If you also read, there were "exceptions" to not single out regular activities. If a child is brought in, it's the parents who are responsible and have to answer to authorities (because they are minors). If the parents are neglecting their responsibilities to the child, a child can then get help and support to cope, if it doesn't exist for them at home.

To me, this is what "communities" are supposed to do in advocating for those vulnerable who are unble to, i.e. "it takes a village." It is not about violating rights at all.

In a larger town, you get used to noise, traffic, people passing by, etc. It becomes "normal" -- but in a smaller town, these things cause alarm because they are not routine. It gets in their space because it's not familiar.

The answer is how they cope with it when it happens. Certainly the city is full of nut jobs too!
I have no doubt they didn't just come up with this off the top of their heads for something to do. It was probably proposed to address a problem. It just bothers me that a small few like a city commission can pass judgment on so many at their whim. I owned a bar once in a somewhat small to medium town with a 24 hour license. there were only a few such license in the whole town. I lost my license as did others just because they decided they didn't like the late night activity. No real complaints the licenses had been around since 1935 and they on a whim just decide, "Lets not do that anymore". I tried to plead my case to the commission and hired attorney Ellis Ruben to argue for me. It cost me $10,000 for two days. I wanted to at the very least hear what the problems were, if any. They would not even listen. The loss of my late night 24 hour license cost me around $50,000 a year in revenue. I have to admit though, Ruben was a mistake. He was a divisive guy and didn't treat the commissioners very well. I might have done a better job myself. Back to my original point though. People $crewing with you for not good reason other then they have the power to do so, be it police whatever. That is not what this country is supposed to be. The people in power are supposed to be there to help you not feel like they are dictators. I understand overlapping rights, It just has to be done fairly.

Old 07-15-2009, 10:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RVlover View Post
Theres alot of advantages to living in a small town . Heres a few : Lyrics: John Mellencamp - Small Town
It is hard when you grew up in a small town that became a big town. You are being chased out of what you feel is your home. But as you look around it isn't anymore. As you look around you don't even know anyone anymore. As you drive around your thoughts always go to what used to be here or used to be there. Things change and thats OK and as it should be, but it is still sad when you see everything you knew gone or worst destroyed. A street you used to ride your bike on as a kid now a dangerous place to even go.

Old 07-15-2009, 02:40 PM

1,310 posts, read 3,051,400 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mango23 View Post
It is hard when you grew up in a small town that became a big town. You are being chased out of what you feel is your home. But as you look around it isn't anymore. As you look around you don't even know anyone anymore. As you drive around your thoughts always go to what used to be here or used to be there. Things change and thats OK and as it should be, but it is still sad when you see everything you knew gone or worst destroyed. A street you used to ride your bike on as a kid now a dangerous place to even go.
Im sure it is a disappointment, but, there are TONS of small towns in this country that dont grow much or change for the worse. I live in a small town (pop. 2500) in the FLorida Panhandle with a 'larger' town just 10 miles away (pop. 12,000) for shopping, eating out, Parks, etc... When you are ready to look for a small town, examine an area of a 15 mile radius to make sure its all desirable. I moved from an urban area of concentrated people to this tiny town .... and i just love it.

Old 07-15-2009, 07:11 PM

13,258 posts, read 22,833,444 times
Bored unsupervised teenagers are prone to causing trouble and doing stupid things, whether it's in big cities or small towns. I wouldn't read too much into a youth curfew in any location.

Old 07-15-2009, 07:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by beachmouse View Post
Bored unsupervised teenagers are prone to causing trouble and doing stupid things, whether it's in big cities or small towns. I wouldn't read too much into a youth curfew in any location.
I guess I just picture some fat little "Boss Hog" type when I think of small town politics.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida