Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-15-2009, 11:15 AM

8,377 posts, read 30,903,465 times

Advertisements

Hollywood is also known for an overabundance of homeless shelters and social service centers. There are literally blocks of them to the north of downtown Hollywood.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-15-2009, 11:22 AM

8,948 posts, read 20,372,776 times
Don't know about other parts of Jacksonville, but here where we live in the southern part, we don't see any homeless folks at all! That's probably due to law enforcement, business owners, home owners and whoever.

Old 07-15-2009, 12:18 PM

552 posts, read 592,634 times
A lot of homeless in Jax - especially downtown. Due to Florida's climate, many homeless will come to FL, and continue to do so.

Old 07-15-2009, 09:56 PM

2,266 posts, read 2,293,784 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MiamiRob View Post
I can only speak for Miami but the city has 2 homeless shelters in the Miami Rescue Mission & the Camillus house. I have been to the Miami Rescue Mission with a collegue in my office and met with one of the administrators there and they do more than just just give out food & a place to sleep for the night. They have drug & alcohol rehabilitation programs, job training & placement, education, healthcare and transition housing as well. One of these two facilities just opened abrand new 3 story facility a bit further from downtown and all of this was paid for by a half cent sales tax that Dade county approved of many years ago. Miami does have a large homeless population but many on the streets just don't choose to obey there rules,i.e. no drugs or alcohol on the premises.

I was kind of shocked how when I first moved to Orlando and saw how the homeless were treated here including the controversy of serving meals by that Food not Bombs organization downtown. Does Orlando even have a homeless shelter?
I'm glad that this is one particular list that Miami didn't make the top 10 of. Camillus House do a fantastic job, IMO.

Old 07-15-2009, 09:59 PM

2,266 posts, read 2,293,784 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fnix View Post
Maybe its because the homeless here are blood sucking leeches. I lived in center city Philly for many years and tons of homeless and never once was I asked for money. I get asked for money anytime I encounter a homeless person here in Florida. One guy lives in a wal-mart parking lot and rides around begging people for money. One day he got a bit to close to my mom and younger brother and found himself on the ground.
Nice attitude....(joking, of course).

I hope that you never hit a period of hard times like many of those people that you senselessly bashed have. You do know that many of them are mentally ill, or simply hit a severe run of bad luck? Not everyone has tens thousands of dollars in the bank for a rainy day, or family and friends to fall back on if they hit hard times. Your ignorance is more of a problem than the homeless people that you complain about. Try putting yourself in someone else's shoes.

Old 07-16-2009, 07:11 AM

593 posts, read 1,916,545 times
i regularly give money to the homeless if asked. when i lived near a park that homeless people lived in i would leave stuff for them in the park sometimes and once gave our lunch away to someone who asked for money but we didn't have any. i felt bad for them. people would generally call the police if they ran into them when playing with their kids in the park. i wanted to let them sleep in my garage, but i'm not stupid.

i gave a $5 t someone this week.

i'm not wealthy, but i think if i am homeless someday (it can happen from medical bills or being the victim of fraud or being falsely accused of a crime, etc. . . ) i will have paid it forward

Old 07-16-2009, 08:32 AM

^^^ Good for you. I too have given money and food before. The best I felt was coming out of a Thai restaraunt in downtown Asheville. A homeless man asked me for my food (leftovers I was taking home) and he said, "Can I have that?" And without hesitation I said yes.

My cousin came down to Orlando to visit me a couple yrs ago, and she was approached by a homeless man and my cousin said the homeless man chased her, and scared her. Obviously that, I have not patience for.

Old 07-16-2009, 10:18 AM

3,043 posts, read 7,710,346 times
We have our local homeless guy who lives under the turnpike. Just this last week he started carrying a sign that reads "I need love." Broke my heart. I bet he's taking in a lot more becoz of that sign though, so I'm happy for him.

Old 07-16-2009, 02:25 PM

216 posts, read 913,596 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scientifical Madness View Post
There are a few homeless folks in Asheville, especially downtown. I have given food before. He was so grateful, it made me feel good. And I'd do it again in a heartbeat. I think the south - FL especially - attracts homeless due to the warm weather.

I had a homeless guy come up to me and ask for money to buy food, I happened to not have any money on me, so I offered him some fruit ( a banana & apple) I had in the car - he got MAD and rode off on his bike! So I guess he wasn't that hungry?

Old 07-16-2009, 02:33 PM

^^^ LOL, that's Orlando for you - everyone is angry all the time. LOL.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida