Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-15-2009, 06:13 AM

2,414 posts, read 5,400,759 times

Advertisements

National Coalition for the Homeless
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-15-2009, 08:21 AM

552 posts, read 592,517 times
Orlando and St Pete are two of the meanest/angriest cities in the US, no suprise there.

Just google Orlando and Angriest City in America - we got the title in 2006 and I think Tampa/St Pete was 2nd place. The same goes for road rage too.

On the other hand, I have given food/money to the homeless before - and I can understand a city not wanting them loitering in the downtown areas, begging for money/food, etc...

Old 07-15-2009, 08:25 AM

398 posts, read 729,391 times
Did we really need a "list" to know this. Just remember your drive to work this morning.

Old 07-15-2009, 08:31 AM

732 posts, read 4,157,578 times
Maybe its because the homeless here are blood sucking leeches. I lived in center city Philly for many years and tons of homeless and never once was I asked for money. I get asked for money anytime I encounter a homeless person here in Florida. One guy lives in a wal-mart parking lot and rides around begging people for money. One day he got a bit to close to my mom and younger brother and found himself on the ground.

Old 07-15-2009, 08:35 AM

2,414 posts, read 5,400,759 times
interesting: none of the cities in southeast florida made the list

Old 07-15-2009, 09:18 AM

8,377 posts, read 30,901,381 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fnix View Post
I lived in center city Philly for many years and tons of homeless and never once was I asked for money. I get asked for money anytime I encounter a homeless person here in Florida.
The odd thing is that I have only occasionally been asked for money in FL (someone tried to wash my windshield in Boca Raton of all places though), yet I usually get asked in Center City. I think the aggressive panhandlers are acutally part of the charm of Phila.

Old 07-15-2009, 09:36 AM

552 posts, read 592,517 times
There are a few homeless folks in Asheville, especially downtown. I have given food before. He was so grateful, it made me feel good. And I'd do it again in a heartbeat. I think the south - FL especially - attracts homeless due to the warm weather.

Old 07-15-2009, 10:27 AM

17,534 posts, read 39,126,512 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OrlandoRE_Miracle View Post
This is misleading, because for example the reason Bradenton is on the list is simply because they don't have enough shelters for all the homeless there. It seems really unfair because they just built a wonderful large one-stop-shop for the homeless who need help there. I mean there is only so much a city can do- if more homeless come than they can help what are they supposed to do? It takes money to build that stuff - it's a vicious circle. And I am all for helping the truly needy - what I can't abide are the able-bodied folks who don't even want to try to help themselves, but rather be beggars and thieves. Some places have more of those types than others.

Old 07-15-2009, 10:57 AM

3,566 posts, read 3,732,913 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gypsychic View Post
This is misleading, because for example the reason Bradenton is on the list is simply because they don't have enough shelters for all the homeless there. It seems really unfair because they just built a wonderful large one-stop-shop for the homeless who need help there. I mean there is only so much a city can do- if more homeless come than they can help what are they supposed to do? It takes money to build that stuff - it's a vicious circle. And I am all for helping the truly needy - what I can't abide are the able-bodied folks who don't even want to try to help themselves, but rather be beggars and thieves. Some places have more of those types than others.
Field of Dreams: "If you build it, they will come."

Old 07-15-2009, 11:10 AM

8,289 posts, read 13,563,668 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OrlandoRE_Miracle View Post
interesting: none of the cities in southeast florida made the list
I can only speak for Miami but the city has 2 homeless shelters in the Miami Rescue Mission & the Camillus house. I have been to the Miami Rescue Mission with a collegue in my office and met with one of the administrators there and they do more than just just give out food & a place to sleep for the night. They have drug & alcohol rehabilitation programs, job training & placement, education, healthcare and transition housing as well. One of these two facilities just opened abrand new 3 story facility a bit further from downtown and all of this was paid for by a half cent sales tax that Dade county approved of many years ago. Miami does have a large homeless population but many on the streets just don't choose to obey there rules,i.e. no drugs or alcohol on the premises.

I was kind of shocked how when I first moved to Orlando and saw how the homeless were treated here including the controversy of serving meals by that Food not Bombs organization downtown. Does Orlando even have a homeless shelter?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida