U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-21-2009, 08:13 AM

216 posts, read 767,843 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by RVlover View Post
True. Rattlers can sense a temperature change of just 1/100 th of a degree F. and thus know when someone/something is getting closer. Then, they strike.
Again, pardon my lack of snake knowledge
Wouldn't the vibration from the baby bottle smacking the ground make them think something had just 'landed' in front of them? I have seen snakes here and there, and it seems they 'see' me but I guess they are really only sensing the vibration of me walking, but it all situations they quickly slither off.

So if I saw a snake on the ground somewhere and I tossed a small object next to it, the snake might just stay put, even though some foreign object had just fallen and rolled toward the snake? (a baby bottle would even be fairly large in comparison to a pygmy snake).

I don't know, I guess I wouldn't have questioned it if the situation had been that a guy reached into a plant, or reached under the same shelving to grab something that was already under there (and nothing had first fallen).....it just really seemed weird that something fell obviously right near a snake and the snake stayed put, and didn't feel threatened by the vibration of the object???

The bottle was the first 'intrusion' into the snakes territory, so why the snake stayed is strange, why it didn't somehow sense the bottle hitting the ground or even if the milk was warmer/colder than the air if they can sense such a small temp change? If you reach into a plant, your hand is the first 'intrusion' and therefore seems more logical that you would get bit in that case.

I think I need more coffee
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-21-2009, 09:11 AM

1,134 posts, read 3,622,172 times
Contrary to some beliefs, most Rattlers will only attack if they feel threatened
and give some warning before.....
A Pygmy though, is very aggressive and will strike with no provocation.
The only saving grace is the dont usually deliver enuff venom to kill someone.
Off-topic but sort of related, I was part of a Citizens Action Committee that fought
WAL*MART and irresponsible sprawl type development in SE-PA. I sat in rooms
with WAL*MARTS lawyers and listened/watched as the poisonous venom they spewed
changed our little town. The stuff they did was K-R-A-Z-Y !!! There are lots of snake
species in WAL*MART, the reptilian kind are the least of what people should worry
about. I will NEVER filthy my feet in a WAL*MART

Old 07-21-2009, 09:51 AM

1,468 posts, read 4,155,968 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by miakelly View Post
Wouldn't the vibration from the baby bottle smacking the ground make them think something had just 'landed' in front of them? I have seen snakes here and there, and it seems they 'see' me but I guess they are really only sensing the vibration of me walking, but it all situations they quickly slither off.

So if I saw a snake on the ground somewhere and I tossed a small object next to it, the snake might just stay put, even though some foreign object had just fallen and rolled toward the snake? (a baby bottle would even be fairly large in comparison to a pygmy snake).

I don't know, I guess I wouldn't have questioned it if the situation had been that a guy reached into a plant, or reached under the same shelving to grab something that was already under there (and nothing had first fallen).....it just really seemed weird that something fell obviously right near a snake and the snake stayed put, and didn't feel threatened by the vibration of the object???

The bottle was the first 'intrusion' into the snakes territory, so why the snake stayed is strange, why it didn't somehow sense the bottle hitting the ground or even if the milk was warmer/colder than the air if they can sense such a small temp change? If you reach into a plant, your hand is the first 'intrusion' and therefore seems more logical that you would get bit in that case.

The snake may have already moved as the bottle rolled towards it or it may not even had been on the floor at all and up in the shelving somewhere when the guy reached in near it. Either way you would think you should be safe shopping in a Walmart. When they bring their stock it is the responsibility it is safe. Especially if it is something like say sod or plants from out in an uncontrolled environment. The buck stops with Walmart as far as I am concerned. The good thing if there is one is, It could have just as easily bitten a small child or an older person who would most likely have been killed. You know something though, I have lived in Florida for 60 years and I have never seen a rattle snake in a neighborhood setting. I remember when we were in grade school they had pictures of rattle snakes and Coral snakes on the wall at school with warnings to stay away from them and report them if you see one. Other then in the Glades though I never have seen one. Lots of gator's though, I had an 8 footer under my car one morning. I was getting in the car and people driving by were blowing their horns and yelling at me. When I looked under the car I was face to face with the gator. In those days the Seminoles took care of them. You just called and they would come and take it away.

Old 07-21-2009, 11:41 AM

1,310 posts, read 2,706,027 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by miakelly View Post

I cant speak to the vibration issue, but, I do know that Rattlesnakes do have a sensing apparatus on the front of their face that allows them to determine when someone/thing is near. They sense temperature changes of 1/100 th of a degree from an extraordinary 10' away ..which is the way the Creator designed them to be.

Old 07-21-2009, 04:12 PM

1,468 posts, read 4,155,968 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by carychna View Post
My guess is that the Walton family will be losing a bit of their fortune over this one. I know I'd sure sue and get enough to own an entire Wal-Mart store and everything in it. This is the third pygmy ratller bite in Florida since 2007, so Wal-Mart certainly knows that this is an ongoing problem as opposed to an isolated incident.

The thing that sickens me is that despite the mans cries for help, the garden center employees ignored him, and a senior citizen "greeter" was the one who finally stepped in to help him. The greeter used her own cell phone to call 9-1-1 and pushed the snake off the man's finger with a broomstick. Management was no where to be found throughout the entire incident.

And now you know one of the many reasons I won't shop at Wal-Mart. Years ago I slipped and fell on liquid laundry detergent all over the floor in a Wal-Mart and I had to fight with them to take an accident report. Then they treated me like dirt, like I had staged the fall. I turned out to be fine after a couple of days, but frankly I should have sued them on the grounds of their own stupidity.

When I worked in retail we were trained to never "apologize or take responsibility" should a shopper be injured in our store, BUT we were also trained to immediately respond and assist, ask if they wanted medical assistance, and take an incident report.
He will get his medical bills paid and a little over that, thats about it. They would have to prove negligence and that would be impossible. Just like Disney does on a weekly bases and you never hear about them, they will pay them a small settlement to go away. No lawyer in their right mind would want to take this to court against Walmart. I was involved in a suit with an insurance company. When we went in for the deposition it scared the ***** out of my lawyer. They occupied the whole top floor and had over a 100 lawyers on staff. My lawyer advised we settle after the first offer. There was no way he was taking this to court. They would have bankrupted him before it was over. I was the one that put up the argument and got an extra $60,000. I also refused to accept the check when it was sent to my lawyer. I had no intention of giving him a cent over what he was advising me to settle for. I got my money and paid him the minimum. These bozos who are involved in this thing with Walmart I have a feeling they will be lucky to end up with anything after paying their lawyer. If they don't settle and go after Walmart they will see nothing. Not only that but if Walmart was to prevail, Walmart will go after them for costs which could be in the hundreds of thousands with the lawyers Walmart has. Once they are told this is a BIG gamble and not a lottery by their lawyer they will settle in a second.

Old 07-22-2009, 11:42 AM

578 posts, read 1,542,670 times
More than likely when the plant was delivered to Walmart the snake was curled up inside and didn't come out. This kind of thing can happen anywhere you have tropical plants delivered at such a close proximity to the plant nursery. They are just as much at fault as Walmart and really you can't see everything especially a camoflaged snake. The bad part (if true) is the reaction of the Management. Thankfully someone called 911.

Old 07-22-2009, 12:48 PM

26,590 posts, read 54,462,029 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stevep111 View Post
More than likely when the plant was delivered to Walmart the snake was curled up inside and didn't come out. This kind of thing can happen anywhere you have tropical plants delivered at such a close proximity to the plant nursery. They are just as much at fault as Walmart and really you can't see everything especially a camoflaged snake. The bad part (if true) is the reaction of the Management. Thankfully someone called 911.
Exactly!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or